Status: Thanks for reading. Please rec/sub/comment!

Heart and Soul

Chapter Twenty Four

Looking down at my hands and then up to the walls of my make shift prison cell, it was like seeing the world for the first time. I could feel it, my magic was there, coursing through my veins. Not much of it, but a little, enough.

Standing up I felt alive for the first time since this whole ordeal had begun. I was ready to fight, fight for my freedom, my soul, my life. Maybe I wasn’t as doomed as I thought.

Walking towards the door I placed a hand gently onto the wood and could feel my power trickle though my fingers. Placing a little bit of power behind it, just enough to jolt the door but not break it, I loosened it from its hinges. Pulling it open, my nails biting into the wood, I heaved it open far enough for me to be able to fit through.

Crossing the line without issue, realising that I’d done this before when I’d waved my arm out of the door towards Nick, I snuck down the corridor aware of the shadowed eyes that watched me. Heading blindly towards some kind of salvation, I crept along the corridor like a ninja. Voices all around me, I could hear them in the distance. Every loud noise made me jump. How long before they could sense me? Maybe they’d already sensed me. How good are these soul-sucker's senses?

Reaching the opposite end of the corridor to where I’d begun, there was a window, out of which I could see the same clearing I’d crossed before. I knew my freedom wasn’t far away, but it felt like it. I knew I had two choices, either I went down through the house trying to avoid the soul-stealers, or I tried in some way to get out of the window.

Taking my chance with the window, I tried to open it, thankfully it was unlocked. Slowly I slid the window frame up until there was a big enough gap for me to escape out of. Sticking my head out of the window I realised the impossibility of my task. I never had been graceful. Taking a quick glance behind me to make sure none of the creatures had crept up behind me, I hoisted one leg out of the window and then the other until I was sat, balancing precariously on the windowsill.

To my right I could see the guttering that rang along the house. Reaching out with shivering fingers, my fingertips grazed along the plastic ridge until I could grasp hold of it securely. Preying to whatever was above that the guttering could support my weight, I swung my leg around and lodged the tip of my trainer between two bricks, quickly following with the second.

For a moment I paused, not quite believing what I was doing. I could have flown down, I thought, but then again I didn’t have the fairy dust anymore and I didn’t know if my magic would last. I could feel it but it was waning already, I didn’t know how much longer it would last. Taking a ‘calming’ breath I edged along the guttering until I reached the corner of the house where the guttering shot to the floor. Wrapping my freezing arms around the plastic pipe, I attempted to slide down it like a fireman’s pole, but it ended up being much less graceful than that.

Trainers hitting gravel informed me that I hadn’t died. Carefully I peeled my eyes open, having shut them in panic. I looked around me, all was silent, inside I could still hear the bustling of the house, but out here in the silence, for a second, it didn’t seem as evil as it had only moments before.

Having landed in a clumsy pile on the floor I stood up and brushed myself down. Checking around me to ensure I wasn’t being watched I ran across the gravel towards the fence that had fooled me before. Knowing this time it wasn’t as high, I easily climbed over the fence, scraping my arm on the metal, but I didn’t care, my freedom was in front of me.

I had run across the clearing and was back on the slightly familiar road before I even thought of stopping. Taking a quick look back up to the foreboding house, I turned into the night and began running along the road I’d followed the pink smoke along only hours before.

I just needed safety, I didn’t know where I was going or who I could trust. Even Madon, she’d betrayed me. But she was still the only person I knew in this land of death. For a second I considered going back up to the house, knowing my soul was still within its four walls, but I knew the creatures lurked there. They were stronger than me, faster and my magic, although slightly there, was not as strong as I needed it to be.

These were creatures of the night, I was not. I was out of my comfort zone and alone. I needed help and shelter and I only knew one person in this place who could offer that. Ignoring my better judgment I continued on my journey, heading back to the only place

I’d known.

Hoping to all hope that I’d in some way be able to convince Madon to betray the man who held her father’s soul and betray the very monster that I was running from.
She owed me after all, she was the one who sent me here to die. A pain in my gut remained me that, that betrayal still hurt, but maybe she could redeem herself, prove that she was the kind person I’d assumed.

Running on into the night, the house long behind me now, I began to reach the outskirts of familiar streets, it was only then that I sensed someone watching me. I paused and turned, looking bleakly into the darkness, unable to pick out any shapes or people.

Turning back I ran again, but heard it this time, a low growl. I paused and froze, what was it now? What kind of creature this time? Was it one with giant wings and sharp teeth? Was it Leith’s men, already on my tail? Was it some new creature who no doubt loved feasting on a witches flesh? Or was it my intruder? The one who’d led me here, the one who I’d longed to kill in revenge for him stealing my soul, the one who I feared was actually more trapped than I was.

A cold wind swirled around me, chilling my bones from the inside out. I needed to get out of here soon. I could feel the darkness leaching into me, tainting what was left of my humanity. Taking two steps forwards, I froze again as a low growl once again echoed around me. I turned this time and saw two glowing orbs watching me.

Even though it didn’t exist down here, those eyes still seemed to reflect the moonlight. It prowled towards me on all fours, it’s paws padding against the concrete. It’s eyes watched me carefully to see how I’d react. I’d read somewhere that you shouldn’t run in the face of fear, let alone animals. They like the chase, enjoy the hunt. So I did the only thing I could think of. I knelt down on one knee and held out a hand in a fist, like my friend had taught me when she’d interned at a dog kennel over the summer.

I waited with baited breath as the creature walked towards me, watching me intently. Although it’s fur was snow white in colour, it’s nose was a dark black. When it got near me I knew this would be it, he’d either go for my throat or accept me as someone who meant him no harm.

I held my breath as his muzzle neared my skin, I could feel his warm breath in the cool night. He leant his head towards me, thankfully his muzzle nuzzling against my skin. He walked around me twice and then sat in front of me, his tongue lolling out and his head turned to the side slightly, as he watched me playfully.

Reaching out my hand I stroked his head and ran my hand along the wolf’s soft fur. I knew it was a wolf, for sure, no earthly dog could be this big. It slowly sunk to the floor and exposed it’s side, which I gleefully rubbed. For a moment I forgot the danger I was in, forgetting the blackness around me, but the wolf suddenly snapped to its feet, it’s eyes peeled on the darkness in front of us.

It pulled back its lips, exposing its teeth and growled into the night. I searched desperately in the darkness, but could not see anything, but the wolf could. The wolf barked once before breaking into a sprint, darting into the darkness.

I heard a howl of pain and anger. Soon I could hear the sounds of a fight, a brutal one, between man or beast I wasn’t sure. For a second I contemplated going after the wolf, saving it, just like it had saved me, but I knew I was no match for the creatures that lurked here, surrounded by destruction and death.

I needed to get back to earth, back to the light, back to my family, my life. But first I needed to save my soul and to do that, I needed help. My soul was mine and Leith had taken it like it was an item to be collected.

I needed my soul back, needed my magic back. Feeling a small surge of power within me as my magic surfaced once again, I stood up and headed into the night, along familiar roads, hoping that my memory could lead me back to the Willow.

I slowed as I reached the street where I’d first found the Willow. I could see it now, the sign swinging in the wind. It was not until I was much closer that I realised the sign swung too wildly. As I reached the door, I noticed the glass, broken from the inside out, splayed across the road.

As I reached the door, I couldn’t hear the bustling of a fake crowd, but instead an eerie silence had settled in. I knew something was wrong, something was seriously wrong but despite the fact that Madon had betrayed me, I couldn’t just leave her to die. Bracing myself, ready for whatever was inside I pulled together a strength I’d forgotten I had.

Placing my hand on the door, feeling my magic building within me, I shoved open the door and strode into the pub, ready to encounter whatever danger lurked within.
The door swung open and revealed the chaos inside. I realised I was too late, I could not help Madon, for the battle was already won, but not by her. I didn’t notice him at first, crouched over the body of a man, as I ran towards Madon, she was lying amongst the destruction, her eyes frozen open. I knelt beside her and whispered a prayer I didn’t know I knew and then closed her eye lids.

Taking a look around me I noted the destruction and chaos. Who had done this? Was it Leith? Had he found out that I was gone already and assumed Madon betrayed him? Or maybe he was trying to find me or maybe Madon double crossed someone else?

It was only then that I saw him, stood in the corner, watching me. His shark eyes never left me and I realised now that they hadn’t done so since I entered. I marched towards him, eyes filled with a fury I didn’t know existed. I held my arms up and felt my power collect within my fingertips. He’d pay for this. I could feel my magic back now, not quite to its full extent, but near enough. It flew through my body, lighting me up where my soul had left me dim.

I’d felt sorry for this monster, I’d thought he was trapped, but he was just as bad as Leith and he deserved to die just like he did. Feeling my power, I sent a long line of energy towards the creature, aiming for right between the eyes. I would avenge my soul. I would avenge Madon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please give us some feed back? We'd really love to know your thoughts.