Status: Thanks for reading. Please rec/sub/comment!

Heart and Soul

Chapter Thirty

At first the world was still as if the universe was on pause and then suddenly a sharp, brilliantly bright light hit me, forcing me to flip over, my head hitting the floor. For a moment I could see nothing but silvers and greens whizzing across my eyes as my back arched and my body flailed and then just like that, it was over.

I lay on the ground silently, my breathing heavy. Darkness lingered in front of me, all signs of light were gone and yet as though I had previously been blind, I could suddenly see. Colours, voices and people, I could see them, sense them, hear them as the true colour of the world came rushing back to me.

Leaning up on my elbows I took a quick look around at the glowing rainbow of souls in front of me. The wooden box I’d held had clattered to the floor when I’d been thrown backwards. I picked it up as I stood to my feet, the box hanging empty. I stretched and felt a familiar feeling fizzle through my nerves – my soul, I had it back.

I smiled honestly for the first time in a while and turned lethargically, a new energy building within me. I caught a glimpse of the glass bauble that had held Sora’s soul, it was dim now, not glowing like the others, her essence was nearly gone.

Muttering a goodbye I turned and threw it against the flagstone floor, covering my eyes as shards of glass splintered into the darkness. With a curt nod and a smile I turned towards the door just as Nick fell to his knees in the doorway.

Behind him Leith’s men had frozen, each watching me with a morbid curiosity, I could sense them now, these creatures. I could sense their power, their weaknesses. “I found it!” I gleefully informed Nick as I stepped towards him, careful not to stand on any of the glass, I prepared myself, ready to attack any of Leith’s men who hindered our escape but was suddenly aware of the harrowing look on Nick’s face.

One of the men stood just behind him, talking to him in a soothing tone, but I wasn’t convinced Nick was listening to me. He was alternating between me and the dainty shard of glass in his hands. His face a contortion of agony and anger, I was surprised by the depths in the eyes I’d considered dead.
The emotions didn’t look right on his face, that I’d come to expect to be hard like stone. “What have you done?” The man behind Nick, whispered as he focused on me.

I tilted my head in confusion and then followed his eyes to the floor – the shards of glass – “No, you don’t understand…” I paused midsentence as his eyes turned deadly, I wavered for a second, nearly taking a step back, before finding my strength.

I watched as Nick and the man spoke, I witnessed as Nick broke inside, but he didn’t understand she’d begged me, she’d made me promise. I didn’t have a choice. I tried to tell him, but he wasn’t listening.

I could feel a clawing guilt worm it’s way up inside and barely listened as people started barking instructions, but I heard it, I heard the man say that we had to go, that we had to escape, so that’s what we did.

We ran down corridors and tunnels, seemingly heading further into the darkness and nearer to oblivion. Nick made sure to stay in front of me and away from me, I could see the darkness radiating off of him in waves, but there was no time for me to explain my choices now.

I could hear Leith’s men, they were near on our heels, we needed to run. Faster. Longer. We had to escape. I considered using my magic to slow them down, but here in this darkness was their territory, plus I was pretty sure that Nick would leave me behind if I gave him the chance.

On wards we went, for hours it felt like, at one point we emerged from the dark tunnels on the edge of Leith’s property, but we emerged into the never ending night that had never seemed so black before this moment.

We ran, scaling the fence with ease, Leith’s men were behind us but they were no longer gaining, but it wouldn’t be long, I could feel it.

Using my magic to urge on my strength, we kept up a high pace until finally the air seemed to shift, it was subtle at first, but Nick had sensed it. I saw him freeze momentarily and almost hesitate, as though he wasn’t sure whether to continue.

And then we heard it, the noise breaking through the night like a gun shot.

A howl, emanating from the darkness, echoing around us. Nick stopped and I slammed into the back of him, cursing as I did.

He turned around and glared at me and I’d have shrivelled up had he had the power to kill with a look.

It was silent now, in the night, apart from our laboured breathing, until we heard a slight whistle on the wind. I turned my head, trying to hear better relying on my hearing to save my life.

Then the sound that caused Nick to flinch and I to slam my hands over my ears. The chorus of howls.