Status: In Progress!

Ours

Watch Your Step, So You Don't Fall Into This Hole You've Dug Alone

Finally, it was the end of the day. I was shutting my locker, and listening to Bobby talk to Brooke about how Mr. Salem had already assigned too much homework.
"A! A! A!" I heard my name being screamed down the hall, and turned around to hear what the hell all the commotion was about.
Drew came running up to me, with a paper in his hand.
"Are you good at cooking, or baking," he asked, breathless. I'll have you know that I'm fantastic at cooking and baking. "Yeah, I suppose I'm alright," I said.
"Did you know our school lets you work on the cafeteria staff? So like if you have a free period, or a class you'd be willing to miss 2 days a week or something, you can work on the staff. And you get paid! I do it, Scott does it, Brooke does it, Bobby does it," he nudged me, winking.
"Yeah, Lysa! You should sign up! You just have to go to the cafeteria and they'll give you a recipe. Cook it, and if they like you, you'll join up." After mulling it over for a bit, I nodded. I mean, what do I have to lose anyway?
"Alright, yeah, I'll do it. Where do I join?" Bobby grabbed my arm and said he would lead me to the Chef's office. "See you, guys!" I called. As we were walking, I realized I didn't have a ride home. "Oh shit! I don't have a ride, and my bus has left by now!" He laughed, and said, "It's no worries, I'll drive you home."
"Oh, are you sure? You don't have to go so far out of your way," I started to protest.
"No, it's fine. I live only about 20 minutes from the school."
"Oh really, so do I. About fifteen minutes, actually." We arrived at the Chef's office, and Bobby knocked on the door. "Bobby! How are you? Is this a new girl? What happened to that other one, did you get tired of her yet?" The bouncing chef looked me up and down as she talked. I blushed, and said, "No, Ma'am, I'm not his new girl. As far as I know they're still together. I'm actually here, because Bobby told me about the job and I'd like to apply, please."
"Oh, wow, you guys sure would look cute together! That's a shame. Come in, come in, and take a look at this recipe, tell me what you can do with it." She handed me a recipe for Chicken Parmesan, which is one of my favorite things to make. Smiling, I said, "I can make this no problem. When would you like me to?" She looked at the clock before responding, "now, would be fine." I looked over at Bobby, silently making sure it was okay for him to stay that long with me. He nodded, and said, "I'll be back for her, then. I'll do my homework out in the courtyard."
I asked the way to the kitchen, gathered my ingredients and started cooking. An hour or so later, Bobby came walking in. Jokingly, I called out, "Honey! Dinner's ready!" As the oven dinged. He laughed, and came into the kitchen. He picked me up and swung me around, saying, "It smells great, thank you! Just what I need after a long day at work." I laughed, as he put me down. "Seriously, though, it looks okay, right?" He looked at it for a moment and said, "Yeah, it looks fine."
Chef came in and inspected the chicken, sauce and overall presentation. She seemed pretty satisfied, and said to me, "It looks good. You'll be working with Bobby, starting next Monday. You'll start out as his intern, of sorts. He's one of our best cooks."
I grinned, and said, "thank you so much, really this is an amazing opportunity." We said our goodbyes, and walked out. He picked up his bags from outside, and led me to his car. It wasn't too shabby, for a junior in high school. When I voiced this, he said, "yeah, it's a hand-me-down from my dad."
We got into his car, and started driving home.
♠ ♠ ♠
My school offers a program, where you work as tech support (basically IT people) if you're majoring in IT, and I'm starting that job in March. I just kinda took that idea and went with it.