2am

1

You were lying on your bed. You look to your right and read the time, its 2 am. You have a very important meeting the next day but you can’t sleep. You’ve never had an episode this serious without him before. You also know deep down that this was an adopted trait from the person you can’t stop thinking about.

It’s been 5 months since you’ve last seen him. Of course he calls you whenever he can, even if it wakes you up at 3am. He sends you little trinkets he finds on the road that reminds him of you, or he thinks would look good on you. And every time you receive these packages, you make sure to send back a pack of his favorite dessert that you love cooking for him.

But at this particular time you were missing him so much. You have a very important meeting tomorrow morning, and honestly, it’s been making you edgy all day. You were so meticulous that you’ve triple check everything before going to bed. Even making an early breakfast that you’ll just re-heat in the morning so you won’t be late. You know that the only cure to your nerves was his voice. You really want to call him but you can’t right now ‘cus you’ve been considering the time difference between the two of you, so you just wait until you think the show is over.

Fortunately, you didn’t have to wait long. At exactly 2:30am your phone buzzed, you were a little startled at first but you recognized the special ringtone you saved for him. You answered your phone with a smile.

“Hey babe! I didn’t know would still be up, I was gonna leave a mess-“

“I MISS YOU SO MUCH BABY!!” You cut him off. You can hear him chuckling on the other line.

“Aww. I miss you too baby.”

“I’m sorry, I just really miss you so much. And I have this important thing tomorrow and it’s making me edgy all day even petting Penny won’t calm me. But I know you would. I know that when I hear your voice everything will be okay. I love you baby. So much.” You blurted without pause.

“It’s okay babe, I’m here now. I’ll talk to you until you fall asleep. Okay baby?” He tells you in his most soothing voice.

You nod and say okay. He tells you what he did today. He told you that he got this cool shirt, it was plain black with a printed bowtie, from a fan during the meet and greet, he also got a ton of letters. You asked him if he thank them to which he replied, “Of course.” Then he tells you that he found another trinket for you and that he’ll send it when they get to the next stop.

He hears your breathing becomes slower by the minute, and when he heard you sigh, he started singing you to sleep. After a few more minutes, he knows you’re asleep but before he hangs up he says, “I love you, baby.”

-----

Your meeting was a success. Your potential clients were impressed with your presentation, they couldn’t wait to start the project with your team. And since you and your team were in the mood, you decided to hit the bar and celebrate with them. One of the pros of working with your close friends is that when you celebrate, all of you drop the corporate façade and turn into party animals without offending each other.

The night was young, you were on your third beer bottle. The guys on your team found their respective companions for the night, while some of the girls were on their phones, others were eyeing the waiters in bar. You promised yourself that you’ll just finish the bottle in your hand and you’ll be on your way. True enough, some of the gentlemen in your team got you a cab when you have graciously excused yourself from the group, but not before reminding them that you still have office tomorrow and you’re expecting them to report.

On the way home you checked your phone that you’ve turned off for the whole day so that no one will disturb you. And just as you have expected you have 5 text messages and 2 missed calls from Patrick. You sigh and text him a reply.

I’m sorry honey. I was out with the team. I forgot I turned my phone off so I didn’t know you called. I’m really sorry baby. But the meeting did turn out great. I’m actually on my way home. I love you honey. Call me when you can. :*

As you hit send you sank lower in the cab, feeling yourself relax more as the driver navigates your neighborhood. To your surprise you hear your ping. Just as you were about to see who it was, the cab stopped. You got out and paid. You went straight into the house, without noticing the suitcase by the foot of the stairs. You went to kitchen to get a glass of water before heading upstairs when you notice a box on the dining table. You tensed a little because, even though you’re a little buzzed, you know there wasn’t anything on top of the table before you left this morning. But as curious as you can be you picked up the box. It was light enough that you even wonder if it was empty. Suddenly, there were hands on your waist, you can smell his scent coming from behind you as he hugs you tighter to him. You sigh with relief.

“Hey baby,” you croon.

“Hmmm,” he says, pressing a kiss on your hair and inhaling it.
You turn around and hug him tighter to you. You rest you head against his chest, felling his steady heart beat match your own.

“Welcome home,” you say looking up to him and kissing his lips. To your surprise he deepens the kiss, but as his hands slid lower your arms, his lips move from your lips to your neck, you were reminded that he shouldn’t be here for another week. Placing your hand on his chest, you shove him lightly, and since he’s a gentleman he stops kissing you.

“Wait. Why are you home? You aren’t supposed to be here for another week. Am I that drunk to hallucinate you here? No,” you shake your head. “I’m not that drunk. Right?” You look up to him pouting, confusion, bright in your eyes.

He can’t help but kiss your little pout and say, “No, you’re not drunk and yes I’m here, physically. I was going to tell you about the break we have last night but you cut me off so I thought I’d surprise you instead.” He smiles cheekily knowing that you love that he’s here no matter what reason he has.

“So, is it a good surprise?” He asks holding your chin up.
You nodded smiling up at him, hugging him closer. “Good surprise. Definitely.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! This is my first ever story. I've never written anything like this before, I don't know if its too fluffy, too predictable or whatever, you be the judge. I'm posting it here while I still have the guts. I hope its good for you guys. :) Please let me know what you think so that, if I ever come up with enough inspiration or drive, I could keep those in mind while writing.

Love lots,
Mariz