Status: still being badass

Apocalypse; a Sea Bound Fairytale

Chapitre IV

“Okay so let’s go over this one more time! When they come on board keep your position and don’t look directly at them. If you don’t think you can speak in a dignified and proper manner then speak very little. In fact, just don’t speak at all. Then maybe we’ll be able to end the day without seeing a single noose. Sound good boys?” snapped out the first mate.

A group of men looking crisp and clean were lined up along the deck, all waiting nervously as Ricky walked by inspecting their uniforms and positions.

“This will never work you know!” he yelled out to the captain, “Just cuz’ you washed up a bunch of pirates and put em’ in navy uniforms doesn’t mean we can actually pass as a navy ship. Especially in port Rioga of all places! I mean come on, how crazy do we have to be to go into the island that’s famous for pirate hunters.”

“Calm yourself Ricky. It’ll be just fine. As long as everyone keeps their mouths shut and follow my lead we’ll be outta’ here before you know it.” replied the captain.

He stood tall in his navy captain uniform, an elegant sword embezzled with red jewels hung at his hip instead of his usual black blade. His hair was tied at the back of his neck with a bright red ribbon.

“You know most people will assume that your white hair is just a powdered wig but there’s not much you can do about your eyes.” commented Eli.

The captain sighed. “Yes well we’ll just have to hope that details of my appearance have not spread to the government.”

A scoff sounded from Michael as he walked over to the group whilst tugging on his collar irritably. “Yeah well I doubt it considerin’ most people that get close enough to see ya well don’t live to tell any tales.” He remarked.

“I still say this isn’t going to work. Especially if we don’t send this buffoon below deck with the rest of the men.” snapped Ricky while sticking his thumb towards Michael. “His mouth is gonna get all of us into trouble.”

“Ye got a fuckin’ problem with the way I talk boy?” he growled out while stalking towards Ricky.

“Enough.” ordered the captain. “We’re almost there so get ready all of you. They’ll be coming out to greet us and get the docking fee.”

The boys all got themselves into position as the captain watched as four men on a row boat made their way over to the ship. Once they were close enough he nodded at Ricky and he proceeded to throw the ladder over the side of the ship. Everyone held their breath as the men climbed aboard and looked around with speculative gazes.

“Are you the captain of this vessel?” asked the man in front while walking up to Atrous.

“Yes I am, my name is Sebastian Williams, commander of the 13th division of his majesty’s navy in the eastern sea.” the captain said in a confident voice.

“Ah, well yes then I am lieutenant Charles Rummney stationed at port Rioga. Your ship looks to have taken quite a beating. May I inquire as to what happened” replied the man.

“Well you see we were on our way back home after delivering cargo in this area when we got caught in the storm. If was a horrible storm, tis a miracle we made it out alive with the ship somewhat intact.”

“And what is the name of your ship commander Williams?” asked Charles.

“The Mariana, after my dearly departed mother.” the captain replied solemnly.

The lieutenant took of his hat. “Well I’m very sorry to hear about that. I lost me own mother just a year back”

The captain nodded. “My condolences as well, tis a terrible loss”

“Yes well,” Charles cleared his throat and put his hat back on, “I also need to know what you will be doing whilst here and how long you intend to stay.”

“We only plan on staying as long as it takes to repair the ship then we will be on our way.”

“Well I’m sorry to inform you that the master carpenter is off on business at the moment and won’t be returning for another week.”

“That won’t be a problem,” said the captain, “we have ourselves a carpenter of our own aboard. So if you could merely direct us to where we could purchase some lumber we’ll be out of your hair in a weeks’ time.”

“A week?” he questioned, “won’t it take much longer to repair the foremast?”

“Our carpenter is very skilled and he has many men to help him. We’ll be off in a weeks’ time no doubt about it.”

“Well alright then. The cost of docking for the navy is 15 silver pieces, just pay and we’ll assign someone to guide you around town when we get onshore.”

The captain nodded to Ricky and he came forward with a pouch of coins. He counted out 15 and handed them to the man. After he pocketed the coins the men bid their farewells and the lieutenant proceeded to leave the ship.

The crew seemed to simultaneously release a breath of relief and dropped their uptight postures.

“I can’t believe that worked!” exclaimed Ricky.

“Yes well the navy has never been one of our sharpest adversaries now have they?” remarked the captain, “Ricky, Michael, prepare a lifeboat, you two will accompany me onshore. As for the rest of you! Dock the ship and try to keep out of sight is possible. Oh and men, try not to do anything stupid while I’m gone!”

---~~Ivory~~--

Days. That’s all I have left. A few measly days. A sigh fell from my lips as I shifted my toes in the cool sands. The second I could be excused from dinner I ran straight to the beach by the docks.

Watching the ships dock has always calmed me down, but now is all I could feel is a quit rage and jealousy as I watched the men working. A sort of longing plagued my chest as I scanned the horizon. If only I could get on one of those ships and sail away from my problems.

My eyes turned back to the sea to watch the ship that was making its way to the dock then quickly shifted to a lifeboat that had come from said ship. I could see that small boat getting closer and closer to the spot I am.

I squinted as I tried to make out the figures on the ship. I could make out the shape of three men. Just as the boat reached the shallow water about 30 feet away from me two of the men put down their oars and grabbed the rope attached to the boat and began to secure it to one of the wooden post lined along the shore. My gaze shifted between the two of them before resting on the third man who stepped onto the sandy ground.

Just as he turned my way the grey clouds seemed to shift allowing a few beams of sunlight to flitter through and rest upon the newcomers. My breath hitched as the eyes of the stranger glinted in the sunlight making contact with mine.

I felt goosebumps rise on my skin as I gazed at the blood red color of his irises. Fascinating. He cocked his head to the side as he looked at me.

I tore my gaze away as I realized I must look strange to him. A barefoot young girl with a tangled mess of hair sitting on the ground unaccompanied, I must be a sight to behold. I kept my head down as I waited for the men to pass me, for some reason I couldn’t bring myself to look towards them again.

How strange. Normally I am scolded by my aunt for making eye contact with everyone I meet, when I should supposedly look down in a submissive manner. A scoff left my throat. What rubbish.

I glanced up after a minute and didn’t see them; I turned around and saw their backs as they strode into town. I looked back to the sea, normally just staring at it could clear my mind, but as I listened to the roaring of the waves, is all I could see is a pair of crimson eyes staring back at me.
♠ ♠ ♠
well it seems the pirates have successfully infiltrated the town and ivory and atrous have finally seen each other. in the next chapter the two finally meet, but not in the place or circumstances you'd expect. comments greatly appreciated thanks for reading!