Status: i'm no longer going to be updating mibba. you can find me on ff.net at 'deanambooty' if you would like to continue reading any updates. thank you.

Paradise City

Win Some, Lose Some

To say that I hadn't been checking my mailbox everyday for a letter would be a lie. To say that I was totally fine, and sane, and not hopelessly pining after him while looking sadly out a window would be a lie. To say that I didn't replay the moment that his lips first met mine over and over again in my head would be a lie. It had only been two weeks and I was a sad, lonely mess.

I worked as much as I could to stay busy and keep my mind off of him. I was exercising more, doing more things around town; for instance I went to Madam Tussaud's Wax Museum and the Natural History Museum. Alisha and I had hung out a lot more. Which included going to a lot more clubs, because that's where she spent most of her time these days. Wherever Reece was, a desperate Alisha wasn't far behind. Yet, I still hadn't talked to James. It seemed when he called, I was busy and couldn't answer. And when I finally got a chance to call him back, he wouldn't answer.

We stood outside Club XS, waiting to get in. Avicii was the guest DJ tonight, and Alisha was extremely excited about it. I called James, hoping that maybe this time I would actually get him. I was wrong.

"Is Reece coming tonight?" Madison asked Alisha.

"I don't know, he said he might show up later." She replied.

When Alisha invited me to go somewhere with her, I went for three reasons. One, because I was bored. Two, because I would feel bad if I said no. And three, because I felt like if I didn't keep an eye on her, no one would. Alisha was the poster child for depression, yet she wouldn't admit it, and no one else cared enough to pay enough attention to her to see it, but me. If I was really going all out, I'd say she was also a borderline alcoholic.

Reece breaking up with her really messed her up. And the fact that the loser was keeping her around for his amusement and sexual needs wasn't helping. I really hoped that he did show up later so that I could punch the piece of shit right in the face.

Colin pulled me out on the dance floor immediately when we finally got in.

"Why aren't you drinking!?" He yelled over the music.

"So that I can take care of your sister!" I replied.

"She's a big girl, she can handle herself!"

I seriously doubted that, though. Drinking at eight o'clock in the morning while she makes breakfast? Yeah, she was handling herself real well. I glanced towards the bar and caught a glimpse of her doing shots with Madison. All that I could think of was Alisha crying to me about how none of these people were her friends, yet here she was still getting them into clubs and still buying them drinks.

After a few songs, Colin and I joined them at the bar only to see Madison holding a small baggie of what looked like candy in her hand. She kept it low, making sure no one saw her with it. I knew immediately that whatever she had was illegal.

"Colin, here!" She said, taking one of the tablets and placing it the palm of his hand. I narrowed my eyes at him as he quickly popped it in his mouth and swallowed. "Callie, you want one?"

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's Molly, but ssssssh." Alisha slurred as she held a finger up to her lips.

"No, I'm okay." I replied, pushing Madison's hand away.

"Aw, come on, Cal!" Alisha begged. "Have fun with us!"

I shook my head, not wanting any part in it.

After about two hours of sitting at the bar by myself, I decided to go outside and try calling James again. I knew it would be late for him, but I really needed him. The phone rang seven times and went to voicemail. I sighed and leaned up against the brick wall. It was warm out, but when wasn't it? A nice breeze floated through the night air, and I welcomed it. I wanted to go home, but I couldn't until I made sure that Madison, Alisha, and Colin had gotten home okay.

My phone vibrated in my hand.

"Hi." I answered.

"Hey." He sounded exhausted.

"I really miss your voice."

"Maybe you should answer the phone when I call, then."

"Like you're one to talk."

"Not that you need a reason, but why are you calling me at two in the morning?" James asked.

"It's only eleven here and I just needed to talk. It's been so long since we've had a real conversation that wasn't 'hey I'll call you back, I'm working'. You're my best friend. I've known you since we were in diapers. I feel weird if I don't talk to you everyday." I tried to keep my voice from cracking, but I missed James so much that sometimes I felt like moving back to Tennessee.

"What's wrong, Cal?"

"I'm lonely, I guess. I have nothing in common with any of these people."

"What about your hot neighbor?" He said lazily, and I could picture him shifting in his bed, getting more comfortable.

I tried to not smile. "Don't even get me started."

"Oh, so there has been a development?"

"That's the understatement of the year." I mumbled.

James gasped. "Did you sleep with him!? Callie, did you finally lose your virginity!?"

"No! I didn't sleep wi-" I was cut off by a man around the corner yelling, followed by a woman. They were having an argument. A very loud argument. "I didn't sleep with him." I said, slowly walking towards where the voices were coming from.

As I got closer, I realized that it wasn't just a random woman yelling. It was Alisha.

"J, I'm sorry but I got to go. I'll call you tomorrow."

Before he could say anything, I hung up the phone and peaked around the corner to see Alisha and Reece in the alleyway. He had her pinned up against the wall, forcing kisses down her neck as she tried to get him off.

"Hey!" I yelled as I stepped from around the corner. Reece immediately stopped what he was doing and turned to me, a dark smile forming on his face. "Don't touch her." I said, nervous now, hoping that I hadn't bitten off more than I could chew.

"Oh yeah, what are you going to do?" He said to me, taking a step forward as he yanked Alisha along with him.

"I've already called the cops." I was in heels, there was no where I could run, and I couldn't leave Alisha now.

I stood my ground as he got closer and closer, dragging Alisha behind him. Reece wasn't that much taller than me like Dean and Colin were. I wouldn't have to stand on my toes to sock him in the jaw. He stood as close as he could get and looked down at me. His eyes were almost black.

"Why don't you join us?"

"Reece, stop." Alisha begged.

He glanced over at her for only a second, but it was all the distraction I needed to coil up my fist and hit him square in the nose. I heard something crack, but I wasn't sure if it was his nose or one of my fingers. Or both. Blood immediately poured from his face as he doubled over in pain. I grabbed Alisha and pulled her away from him immediately, even though she was trying to find out of he was okay.

"You fuckin' bitch!" He yelled.

As soon as we got back in sight of the club, and people, Alisha yanked her arm from my grip.

"What the fuck are you doing?" She asked.

I was confused. "What?"

"Next time, mind your own business, Callie." She hissed.

"Lish, I was just trying to help."

"Aw, sweet Callie was only trying to help. Get off your fucking white horse already, alright?" She stomped back around the corner to where I had left Reece.

I was completely shocked. I thought that I was helping her. Wasn't she trying to get away from him? Wasn't she begging him to stop? I stood near the entrance of the club alone, wondering what in the hell was going on. Do I go after her? Do I go back inside?

Why should I? So that I can sit at the bar by myself while they pop Molly and do shots?

Without another thought, I stuck my arm up in the air, as a taxi drove towards me. I gave him my address and slid in the backseat. A tear fell down my cheek as we left the bright lights of the Vegas strip behind. The driver tried to ask me what was wrong, but I stayed silent. I knew it wasn't true, but I felt like I had lost my only friend. Alisha and I had grown close over the last few months, even though she was annoying as hell. I still appreciated her friendship and the fact that she never left me alone. She had pulled me away from my comfort zone in so many ways, and I was thankful for that.

I needed to find a way to fix this, but I had no idea where to start.

When I got home, I checked the mail and took off my heels. My toes cracked as I walked to my bedroom. I sat at the edge of my bed, rubbing both my feet, trying to sooth the soreness from wearing heels. I thumbed through the few catalogs that came in the mail, and tossed the bills aside for later, and came to what I had been waiting for for two weeks.

A postcard from Pennsylvania.

I knew exactly who it was from, without even reading the two words that were scribbled on the back.

"One month."


If he was reminding me that he would be back in a month, there was no need, I was already counting down the days. I rolled over to the other side of the bed and pulled open the drawer on my nightstand. To say that I hadn't been keeping the notes Dean had left me would be a lie. I had both of them stashed away under my bible in my bedside table. I slid the postcard in with the others and smiled to myself.

I was probably way in over my head, but I didn't care. I couldn't wait for him to get back.