Status: i'm no longer going to be updating mibba. you can find me on ff.net at 'deanambooty' if you would like to continue reading any updates. thank you.

Paradise City

So Rude

You're supposed to only wear your wedding dress once. My mother didn't really believe that theory. In fact, one year my mom pulled her's out of the closet and wore it for Halloween. Our entire family went as zombies; my dad in his tux, my mom in her wedding dress, and I was three years old, wearing a velvet red dress that my mom bought for me to take pictures with Santa in. There's a picture of all of us somewhere; green-ish gray facepaint and all.

Over the years she would put it on, just to make sure that it still fit. I would always sit on the edge of her bed and marvel at how she still had the body of her twenty year old self. She looked like a princess, always. And she promised me that one day I would wear that same dress to my wedding.

"I never get tired of seeing her in that thing." My dad whispered to me as my mom came down the stairs. I had never seen her look so beautiful.

James was standing next to me; dressed up in a suit he borrowed from his brother. And my dad had his original tux re-fitted so that his beer gut was properly covered. The dress I was wearing was nothing special. I found it at J.C Penney on clearance for five dollars. They were getting rid of all the prom dresses, I took advantage. It was an off-white, fluffy little dress that I paired with flats that I borrowed from my mother. James told me upon arriving, that he was glad I wasn't wearing black for once.

I couldn't wear black to my parent's vow renewing ceremony.

The four of us stood in the living room; the table had been removed to make standing room. Father Lucas stood in the middle, holding a bible between his hands.

"I have been called here today for this rather nontraditional renewal of vows between Jack and Jennifer Jordan. I would like to thank you for inviting me here to be apart of this beautiful celebration. I would also like to thank Callie and James, as well, for being here to witness this loving exchange. Callie, I know your parents love you with all their hearts, and James... you too, I guess."

My parents laughed, thought there were tears in their eyes.

"We love you, James." My mother said quietly.

"It's been twenty years, though it doesn't feel that way. It seems as if it was just yesterday I was standing in the same spot, in the hall of the Lord, watching you two exchange your vows for the first time. You were both two kids, still are deep down, but you were crazy about each other, which you also still are. Jack, Jenny, you've been married for twenty years. You now know that love is more than a feeling. It's not always a field of daisies. It's a long, hard and winding road that the two of you have traveled down together, and it's brought you both here in the living room of your beautiful home; with your beautiful daughter and James beside you. The vows you renew together will carry you both through another twenty years, and another twenty years after that til death do you part."

Father Lucas looked at my father, prompting him to start.

My dad seemed nervous. A few beads of sweat dampened his forehead, and his breathing was unsteady. "Jenny, I uh- I remember telling you once that I want us to be that couple that stays together forever. When everyone thought this life would be too much for two kids like us to handle, we proved them wrong. I knew it from the moment I first saw you in that highway-side diner in Abilene that you were my soul mate. And what'ya know you show up at my college. What am I doing!? I've been married to a stalker for twenty years!" My mom laughed and wiped the tears from her eyes. "You're my best friend, Jennifer. You are the reason I wake up every morning and smile because you're right there beside me. When I look at you I see the reflection of God's heart; kind, loving, beautiful. You loved me when I didn't think it was possible for anyone to love me. You accepted me, and I love you. I love you more than I can bear. Loving you is like this solid weight on my shoulders that will only make me stronger, and eventually invincible. I am honored to carry the love I carry for you, and I'll carry it for the rest of my life."

My mom was really crying now. "You wrote all new vows for me?" She asked my dad.

"The last vows I stole partially from a Hallmark card. We've been married twenty years, I didn't think that was going to fly this time."

She laughed. "Well, I didn't really think of anything new. Damn you, Jackson. You're always one-upping me." She wiped tears from her cheeks and took a deep breath. "Fate is a funny thing, you know? I never thought I would see you again after you left the diner, but there you were sitting two rows behind me in Bio. That never happens. Our life is a fairy tale. People laughed at us. People said we wouldn't make it, and we did. I want to be with you for the rest of my life. To have and to hold, in sickness and in health. You are my everything. My rock. My solace. I love you. I love everything about you, not only for what you are, but for who I am as your wife. You have made me a better person. I love you past my mind and beyond my heart. I love you from my soul, a place where only you, Callie, and God dwell."

"That was beautiful, mom." I whispered to her.

"Now, if you would take each other's hands. Do you, Jackson Dale Jordan, take Jennifer Leigh Jordan to be your wife? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect her, forsaking all others and holding only to her forevermore?"

"I do."

Do you, Jennifer Lee Jordan, take Jackson Dale Jordan to be your husband? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect him, forsaking all others and holding only to him forevermore?"

"I do."

"Callie Elizabeth, the rings, please." Father Lucas extended his hands in which I placed my parent's brand new wedding rings. They had gotten their original rings banded with new rings to symbolize another chapter in their lives. "I now pronounce you man and wife, again, may your next twenty years be blessed."

They kissed and James clapped obnoxiously loudly. I stomped on his foot.

"Now it's time for a celebration!" My dad yelled. "I say we all go to Applebee's!"


I stared at the giant, white box that sat on the top shelf of my closet. I had just gotten finished hanging up all my new clothes when the box caught my eye. Just as I reached for the box, a knock came from the front door. I came back down on from my tippy-toes and sighed.

"Just a minute!" I yelled.

It could only be one of two people; Alisha or my very rude, and extremely unlikable neighbor, Dean.

I peeped through the door to reveal the latter. Dean stood there, hair disheveled, lay grin plastered on his face, in a grey t-shirt and jeans. I groaned loud enough for him to hear me.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"I came to ask if you had any milk. I'm all out."

"So go to the store and get a gallon."

"I don't really feel like it." He said, brushing past me and coming into my house without permission. I stood there, mouth wide, stunned at how rude this man could be.

"Excuse you." I gasped.

"Yes?"

"Get out of my house!"

"You're not much on cleaning, are you?" He asked as he surveyed the Chinese Food boxes that were strewn about and the empty chocolate frosting containers. He picked up one of the boxes and pulled out a cold piece of broccoli, popping it into his mouth.

I'm sure the utter look of disgust on my face was the reason he was smirking again.

"Look, I don't have any milk. But your welcome to the butter, bread, and jam in the fridge if it will make you leave." I crossed me arms across my chest and huffed.

"Nah, it's okay. I came over here because I wanted to give you these." He dropped a small box in my hands. I flipped it over to reveal a cheap pair of headphones. "You know, for the next time I have company. Don't want you getting your virgin panties in a twist over here again, darlin'."

"You're hilarious." I said flatly.

He backed out of the door, smiling. "I know, I really am."

I threw his headphones back at him and slammed the door in his face.

[i"What happened to 'love thy neighbor as thy love themselves' or however the fuck it goes?" He yelled through the door.

"It doesn't apply if your neighbor is a total dick!"

"I'm flattered!" I heard him say before slamming his door shut.

I stood there for a moment processing what had just happened. He was absolutely appalling. I mean, it literally too my breath away at how big of a jerk he really was. If he thought this was some cute game, he wasn't going to like the ending.

Because I like games.

Especially games that I know I'll win.