Status: i'm no longer going to be updating mibba. you can find me on ff.net at 'deanambooty' if you would like to continue reading any updates. thank you.

Paradise City

Look After You

"Oh my god." Alisha said the moment she stepped through the front door. "Aw! You even did your own make up! I'm so proud of you!"

She was wearing flats today, so hugging her wasn't as awkward this time.

"I pulled a page out of your book. Are you sure it's not too much? I mean, look at the back."

I turned my back to her so that she could see that it was cut out. It clung to my curves, hugging them in a good way. But I felt exposed. I wasn't bringing a cardigan or a sweater, because I knew that I wouldn't need it. I just felt so naked.

"Whew! Mama, you are hot!" She said as she pretended to fan herself. I blushed and took a turn in the mirror. I did look good. "Just don't bed over."

The dress was short. I was a short woman, finding short dresses was hard for me. Most of them were too long, except this one.

"You ready to go?" She asked, checking her watch.

I nodded, stealing one more quick glance in the mirror before following her out.

Apparently Alisha knew the owner of the club. All she had to do was drop his name and all her drinks were free. She told me if I saw anyone famous not to freak out, because famous people frequented this club a lot. I suddenly became a lot more nervous. There was a line of desperate guys and girls dressed up in their best out front, but Alisha and I slipped through easily with the words, "Alisha Davis and plus one."

"I'm your plus one?" I asked with disbelief. I could think of a million other people she would have wanted to take with her, but the fact that she chose me made me feel good.

The music was loud. And not the good kind of loud. The music at the bar was great because there was a live band playing, and I had always been a sucker for live music. My dad used to take me to a lot of concerts when I was little. This was 100% club music. Remixes of the hottest songs with too much bass. I could feel it vibrating throughout my entire body.

We made our way past the dance floor and to a group of couches in the back corner of the club. Alisha ordered us drinks quickly. I decided on a Long Island this time, really kick the night off right. Her friends all greeted me warmly. This time they actually included me in their conversation. One of the girls, Madison, a red head with wild, frizzy curls, offered to put in a good word for me at the restaurant she worked at. It was great, I wasn't the fifth wheel anymore, but my eyes couldn't help but stay focused on the door, waiting for the moment that Mr. Ignorance came through.

"Hey, you alright?" Alisha asked.

I snapped back to the group and smiled at her. "Yeah, definitely. I'm having a lot of fun. I just need a refill!"

I stood up and Alisha reached for the hem of my dress that had risen up. I mouthed 'thanks' to her before making my way through the busy club. As I stood at the bar for what seemed like an eternity waiting for my drink, I found myself becoming more and more disappointed.

He wasn't here.

I was sure that Alisha would have invited him. Or at least someone in her group would have. Or maybe they weren't as chummy as I thought they were. Either way, I wanted him to be there and he wasn't.

The bartender handed me my drink and asked me if I was paying by cash or charge. "I'm with Alisha Davis, but hang on." He raised his eyebrows as I slurped the drink down in a matter of seconds. "Could I have another, please?"

My cheeks were beginning to flush. My body heated up, inviting the foreign liquid, letting it soak into my bloodstream. It felt good.

"Hey!" I yelled over the music as he made my drink. "Can I get a double shot of Fireball."

"We don't have Fireball here."

Right, I forgot that was a southern thing.

"Just vodka then. Grey Goose."

Hey, if it's been paid for why not, right?

I slurped down the shot and walked back to the group. They all cheered when I got back. I could feel myself swaying with the music, and overcome with a happiness that I didn't know I had.

I wanted to dance.

"Colin!" I yelled over the music. Alisha's brother was a very attractive guy. He had this west coast look to him that you only ever saw on MTV reality television shows that were filmed on some beach in California. He was probably the only one out of the group that would actually hold a conversation with me. That was probably because he seemed just as interested in being here as I was. "Dance with me!" I whined, pulling at his hand.

He allowed me to lead him to the dance floor, where I attempted to dance, but I was more or less making a fool of myself.

Colin placed his hands on my hips, keeping me controlled and slowing me down. We moved in sync with the rhythm. My heart pounded with each beat of the song. It was exhilarating.

The song faded out, coming to a complete stop, but I was still dancing as everyone around me was cheering the DJ.

"Mind if I?" I heard behind me. Suddenly Colin wasn't dancing behind me anymore.

I turned around and Dean was standing in front of me. His hair was pushed back and curly on the ends, and he hadn't shaven, but he still looked like he belonged in this upscale club.

"Where have you been?!" I blurted out. I obviously meant to say, "why are you here? Leave me alone. Go annoy someone else." Or something along those lines.

"Sorry princess, I had a busy day. Are you going to dance with me or not?"

I crossed my arms across my chest. "I'm not obliged to dance with you."

"You're right, you're not. But I can't just leave a beautiful girl in the middle of the dance floor without a partner, now can I?"

He took one of my hands, uncrossed my arms, and spun me around, pulling me into his body and we began swaying back and forth. The tempo had drastically changed, a slower, more sensual beat. Even though there were a hundred more couples on that dance floor, it felt like it was just Dean and I. Like we were doing so much more than just dancing.

His hand traveled from my waist, and his fingertips intricately traced up my arm. I felt cold, but I was burning up. My face was clammy, mouth was dry. Either I needed a drink or I needed to make a beeline for the bathroom. Either way, I had to get off of this dance floor. I had to get away from this man.

I turned to face him and placed my hands on his chest. "I- I have to go."

He looked confused for a moment. "Uh, okay?"

"I really don't feel good."

It didn't take long for that confusion to be taken over by concern. I teetered back a little bit, trying to find my footing. The other dancers weren't making it easy as they danced circles around us. It was making me all the more dizzy.

"I need to sit down." I said.

"Come on."

He slouched an arm around my shoulders, leading me off of the dance floor and back to the group. I plopped down on the couch, holding my head between my knees, and took deep breaths. Dean mentioned something about going to get me water, but everything was escalating so quickly that I wasn't sure if it was actually him or if I was making things up in my mind.

"Callie, are you okay?" I heard someone ask me. I tried to nod, but my body felt like liquid.

"Here, drink this." I heard Dean's voice but I couldn't see him anywhere. I couldn't see anything. "Callie, you have to drink this water." I blinked a couple of times, trying to focus on the glass of ice water that was being held in front of me.

I reached up, took the glass in hand, and spilled it on Dean's feet.

I heard an exasperated sigh and I giggled.

"Callie, this isn't the time for games. I'm trying to help you here."

All I wanted to do was laugh. And puke.

"She had a lot to drink. Like four Long Islands." Alisha was there too somewhere. Apparently.

"I'm going to take her home." Dean said.

No, Lish! Don't let him take me!

"Are you sure? I can drive her. I had one Manhattan, but that was hours ago."

Yes, please don't leave me with this creep.

"We're neighbors, Lish. It's fine." He replied. I groaned. "Come on, sweet cheeks. Let's get you home."

I could feel his hand snake around my waist to keep me steady. With each step I took I felt like a giant, balloon man that waved to you from the car dealership parking lots. You know the ones I'm talking about? They're like ten feet tall and there arms are all outstretched. I felt like one of those.

Before we could get in his car, I ducked out of his grip and ran to the vacant side of the building. Dean tried to hold my hair, but I pushed him away, not wanting him to see me empty the contents of my stomach all over the asphalt.

I immediately felt better; still woozy, and definitely embarrassed, but better none the less.

The car ride to the apartment was silent. We were silent in the elevator.

"Here." I said, handing him my keys. I probably wouldn't be able to unlock a door if I tried.

Dean slid the key in the door and swung it open. As soon as I was inside I pulled my heels off, cracking my toes. It felt good to flatten my feet out. His hand was still around my waist, guiding me to the couch.

"What's the last thing you had to eat?" He asked as he shut the door.

I don't fucking know. Cereal maybe? "I don't remember."

He disappeared into the kitchen and came out a few moments later with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of water.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"You need to eat something. You need something to soak up the alcohol in your stomach." He sat down on the couch beside me and handed me the plate. "You're not going to spill this on me, are you?"

I shook my head and he handed me the water, I finished it in seconds. My mouth had been so dry.

"Thank you." I was being sincere. I really was thankful that he was helping me.

"What are neighbors for?"

I took a bite of the sandwich he gave me, and moments later Dean reached his thumb up and pressed it against the corner of my mouth. I froze as he did so. My heart beat wildly against my rib cage.

"You had some, uh, jelly." His voice was low. He sucked the jelly off of his thumb causing my entire body to heat up.

"Oh." Was all that I could say. My cheeks were on fire. I'm sure it was noticeable.

A new kind of tension settled over us as we sat in silence. I avoided his stare at all costs. But it was burning a hole straight through me, and I eventually gave in; his dark, cerulean colored eyes meeting mine.

Suddenly, I became super aware of my surroundings. I tried to be cautious as I chewed, but the peanut butter was sticking to the roof of my mouth and I probably looked like an idiot. My make up was most likely running down my face. I probably smelled like throw up. My apartment was messy.

"I should probably go to bed." I said and stood up a little too fast. "You should probably go."

The look of rejection on his face did not go unnoticed.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'm good. Thanks again."

I opened the door and gestured for him to leave. He stepped through the threshold and turned as if he was going to say something else, but I shut the door before he could. I leaned up against the door as I took a deep breath.

What was that?