Status: Complete

Food, Cats, and Being Lazy

One

My heart was pounding. I tried to keep my breathing even and calm. I could get through this. I could defeat the beast. My need for revenge far outweighed my fear. He’d taken my family from me. I had no choice but to avenge them. I couldn’t fail.

I stopped when I found him in his lair. Our eyes locked in a tense fury. He knew what I was there for, but still, he waited. His pale green eyes stared me down. He prepped for the attack. There was a deadliness in that gaze. He knew I’d come for him, and he wasn’t going to let me make it out of there alive. His look said one word, Kill.

I came for revenge, but I’d hoped to catch him off guard. I took a step back and raised my hands. I hoped that he’d understand; I just wanted to talk. We could work this out, and then I’d get him when he least expected it. But he didn’t back down. My hand twitched for the weapon at my side. He was faster than I imagined. I underestimated him. I couldn’t take him down on my own. I would have brought back up if he hadn’t taken all of them from me. I no longer had a partner. No family. No friends.

His lethal body darted forward with inhuman speed. He latched onto my leg, claws extending as they sliced through my bare skin. I let out a sharp cry, unprepared for the agony. His teeth came next, sharp like the fangs of a vampire. I should have known he was a monster. It was so obvious now. He was too powerful, and I was so weak.

Then he used his most lethal move. Thousand Kicks. The deadliest move known to the secret underground society of ninja warriors in the city. He lifted both hind legs and kicked the absolute crap out of my shin. I fell to the floor with enough force to rattle the windows of his secret hideout. And then I heard the sound I feared the most. Both of us froze in terror as she approached.

It couldn’t be.

It was.

Patrice Finnegan. The leader of the most notorious gang of super-villains the world had ever known. She was my worst nightmare. A beast so foul that even the most terrifying ninja bad guys feared to utter her name. I was so foolish. I should have known he was working for her.

She crossed her arms over her cashmere sweater. Her blue eyes shot daggers down at me on the floor.

“What are you doing?” she asked, obviously displeased to find me wrestling on the floor with her vampire henchman.

“What do you think I’m doing, Patrice?” I snapped back. “I came for vengeance. But the beast—he’s just too strong. Make it quick, Patrice. That’s my only request. Make it quick.” Her eyes rolled to the back of her head in a near-perfect circle. Because everything Patrice did was perfect.

“Get up off the floor. Our guests will be here any minute. And it’s Mom. Not Patrice. You’re not allowed to call me that.”

“Please?” I begged, clutching her legs for dear life. “Don’t make me face your henchmen! I’m not strong enough!”

“Up. Now.”

I groaned and leaned against my palms to sit up straight. My cat, Reginald, released me and rushed off out of the room, gray tail twitching. He was probably off to search for another hiding place. He liked this game—my mother, not so much.

“I’m up,” I said since my mom was still standing above me. She looked every bit the villain she was in my game.

“You need to get ready. Go put on the dress I set out for you. It cost a fortune.”

“It’s too frilly. Why couldn’t I get one like Paige got?”

“Piper.”

“Ugh, fine.” I clamored to my feet and headed out into the hallway.

“And wear the socks!” she called after me. I groaned again and hurried up the stairs before she could force me to put bows in my hair. I should have known better than to go after the beast so close to the villain’s lair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Food, Cats, and Being Lazy redo number 2.

Nothing much has changed aside from added details and maybe some newer, more elaborated, chapters later. :)