I Only Want To See You

Dirty Little Secret

I walk around the pound, listening for the perfect dog. They have the trained eye dogs sperate from the rest of the other dogs. I listen for the one with the calmest heart, one I can relate to.

I lean down in front of a cage and press myself against the wire. "I like him."

"His name is Max and he's a black lab. A good, kind dog. He listens well..." The lady says with her nasly voice.

"Mom? Can I get him?"

"How much is this gonna cost me?"

"$350."

"Oh?"

"Yes, but you need to get his shots updated, which will probably be another $50."

"Mom, please?" I beg. This dog is calling me. I can feel him already. It's like he was meant to be my dog.

She sighs heavily but I hear her pull out her wallet. "Alright."

"Thank you mom!"

"You're gonna have to walk him every day."

I roll my eyes. "Mom. Are you serious. He's going to be my eyes. I'll need to walk him every day to function normally."

"Maybe your clumsiness will let up a bit."

"I hope so. Thanks mom."

They let him out of his confinement and he sits next to me. Just like he knows I'm his and he's mine.

When we got in the car, my mother wiped her nose noisily. "I am going to need double the allergy meds!"

"Just call Will. He's just as bad as you."

"You can't do that. It's illegal."

"I know, I was just teasing mom."

"Okay hun."

I dial Will's number, my best friend, and listen for his voice. "Hey Will!" Oh, he was the wall I had built up for. I didn't want to let him know the full me, I was so afraid he'd reject me. So I just let him see the surface and never scratch under it. He actually knows me better than anyone else though, and that's why he's my best friend.

"Hey... What's up?"

"Nothing. How about you?"

"Talking to you, love."

Whenever he says love my heart flutters. "Oh Will. I got a dog!"

"For what?"

"You know, a seeing-eye dog. To help me. I'm coming back to school for real this time. Isn't that exciting?"

His voice is a little strained when he talks. "Yeah. Great. Listen, I have to go help make dinner."

"Okay. See you later Will... Maybe you could come over tomorrow?"

"I'd like that a lot. Bye, love."

"Bye."

All the way home I sat with a smile on my face and a hand petting my second best friend. Max the dog.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...?
7 readers and I think maybe 2 of them are me...
SAD.
But anyway... Comments???