Coming Home

First of july

Over the next week and a half, Jaz was at my place when she wasn’t at work, helping me unpack and settle in. I’d just come back from a surf when my mom stuck her head into my room. “Cady, I’m not gonna be able to do anything tonight, I have to work” Mom told me, looking apologetic, I stared at her in shock “But Mama, it’s the fourth of July, it’s a public holiday. We always do something on the fourth” I replied in what I’ll grudgingly admit was a whine. “I know bubba, but because I’m the new girl I got stuck with this shift. I’m sorry. Maybe you can do something with Jasmin” she suggested. I sighed “Ok.” I replied, fighting back the urge to cry. As if this stupid town could get any worse. I watched my mom close my door before stripping off my wet bathers and beach dress, discarding them on the floor without a second look. I was picking up my towel when my door opened again and I heard Jaz gasp. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry. Your mom said I could come up” She said, covering her eyes with her hands and turning away. I hurriedly wrapped my towel around myself. “Uh, it’s ok….. um…… I’m covered now” I could feel my cheeks burning as Jaz looked back at me with a look of apology and, what looked like longing. “Um….. Are you doing anything tonight?” She asked me, shutting my door and leaning against it. I shook my head “Ok, cool. Well, get dressed and I’ll come back in about half an hour you can come to dinner with me and my friends” she told me, I couldn’t help but knoticed her eyes lingered on the hem of my towel where it barely covered my chest. After a moments silence she was gone. With a shake of my head, I went to get a shower.
When I went to climb into Jaz’s car an hour later I was surprised to find it full. “Sorry dude. Paige changed her mind and decided to come. So it’s gonna be a squeeze” Jaz told me apologetically. The blond girl closest to me gestured for me to sit on her lap. “I don’t bite” She told me when I hesitated. “Be nice Serah” Jaz said in a warning tone, I climbed in and settled down on her lap. “Ok guys, This is Cady. Cady, the girls in the back with you are Serah, Amelia, Danni, and this loser here is Paige” Each girl smiled at me as Jaz said their name, the one called Amelia looked me up and down. “Ok, I can see what the guys meant.” She said after a long moment. I frowned “What did they say?” I asked meeting Jaz’s eyes in the rear view mirror. “Levi thinks you’re hot but he reckons he blew his chance with you when he was weird the other day. I told him to stop being an idiot and just talk to you and River is just being a little bitch and wont talk to you. They are both arguing over who saw you first” she replied rolling her eyes. “River and Levi like me?” I asked, she nodded. I thought this piece of news over silently. “do you like either of them?” Paige asked, I shrugged, “I dunno, Maybe” I replied, noticing the dirty look that Danni was shooting me. “So if either one were to ask you out?” Jaz asked me, I shrugged again, “I’d probably say yes” I replied. “Excellent.” Jaz responded gleefully.

We ended up in the local diner, with burgers and fries all round. I just sat and listened quietly as the girls all joked and laughed together. I was wedged between Jaz and Serah. “So, why’d your parents move here?” Paige asked me, I shrugged “My mom decided I should get to know my grandparents” I replied, taking a bite of a fry. “And your dad just agreed?” Amelia asked me. I took my time in answering “My dad is dead.” I replied softly, looking down at the table. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean….. How long?” Amelia asked in shock. “Um, I never knew him. He died before I was born.” I replied uncomfortably. “Wow. That sucks. I can’t imagine what that’s like, I mean, my dad is on tour a lot but I can always Skype or call him.” Jaz said, giving me a sympathetic look, “Pretty soon it’ll be your brother too” Danni said, dipping a fry in ketchup, jaz gave a snort of amusement “That’s assuming they can find a drummer” She replied, rolling her eyes. “Yeah, like anyone is lining up to audition” Added Amelia smugly. “No-One is auditioning?” I asked, both Amelia and Jaz shook their heads. “No-one really wants the pressure of being in a band with avenged Sevenfold’s kids.” Paige told me, I frowned in confusion “What do you mean by the pressure?” I asked, Jaz gave a half shrug “Cos of who our parents are, the boys are instantly under a microscope, people want them to fail cos of our dad’s success. Who would willingly volunteer for that.” Jaz told me, she looked sad, almost as if she was disappointed for her brother. “Pity that Dom didn’t follow in his dads footsteps.” Paige said, picking up her coke. “No, it’s a pity the Rev never had a chance to have a kid, you just know any child of his would play drums” Amelia shot back. I stayed silent and looked down at my half eaten burger, feeling uncomfortable. They weren’t far from the truth, my dad was the reason I played drums, the only thing they didn’t know was that I was the Rev’s daughter.

“So, what are we doing after this?” Serah asked. “We are going to the Beach” Paige said in a sing song voice, Serah scrunched her face up “You assholes coulda told me that on the phone. I don’t have any bathers” Serah whined, “Uh, I did, you were too busy raving about Jessie’s rack” Jaz told her dryly. “You didn’t tell me that” I told her, “oopsie. To be fair, I did kinda cop an eyeful as I walked into your room. I kinda forgot” Jaz replied sheepishly. “An eyeful of what?” Serah asked looking intrigued. I felt my cheeks start to burn in embarrassment “Everything” Jaz said, giving me an apologetic look. “I’ll knock next time” she promised me. “If it makes you feel better, you probably have the best rack I’ve ever seen” She added, making me blush even more. “C’mon, lets hit the beach” Amelia said, coming to my rescue.

Half an hour later we were at the beach, setting out picnic blanckets, towels and pillows. “So, we get a really good view of the fireworks from here and it’s pretty secluded, so hardly anyone comes to this beach, they mainly stay near the event stuff” Serah told me as I helped her spread a picnic blanket. “We usually stuff the boot with all this stuff and find somewhere to chill for the fireworks then we go back to Amelia’s cos her parents throw a wicked party every year.” Jaz told me, Amelia grinned “And by the time we get there they are kinda drunk enough to let us drink” Amelia ssaid, throwing a pillow at Jaz’s head. “It’s kinda our tradition now.” Serah told me. I smiled “I usual go to this fourth of july fair with my mom, then we go home and listen to my dad’s music.” I told them, feeling sad that I wouldn’t be doing that this year. “You and your mom must be close” Paige said, I shrugged “It’s always just been her and me. Her parents didn’t want much to do with her after she married my dad, then he died while she was pregnant with me. So, yeah, we are pretty close.” I replied, dropping down on a pillow.

“I’m gonna go swim” Serah said suddenly, jumping to her feet. “In what? You didn’t bring bathers?” I asked, “Oh, your so cute. I don’t need bathers. I have underwaer” she replied, cupping my face in her hands and planting a kiss on me before stepping back and pulling her shirt over her head, I stared at her for a secong then climbed to my feet, “That’s a fair point” I said, unzipping my skirt and tossing it down on top of Serahs shirt. Amelia and Jaz started to shed clothing as well, but Paige and Danni stayed where they were. “Last one in is a rotten egg” Serah yelled over her shoulder as she ran down the beach, I dropped my shirt and raced after her, Jaz right behind me as Amelia was still struggling to get her jeans off. “Aww Come on guys, wait for me” She yelled as we reached the waters edge. I just grinned as I looked back at her before being rugby tackled into the water by Jaz.

**Amelia’s PoV**
I laughed as Jaz tackled Cadence, sending her crashing to the floor with an undignified splash. “So, Opinions?” Danni asked me and paige. Paige shrugged “She seems cool. Jaz likes her and I think Serah is already crushing on her.” Paige replied, watching the others splash around, letting out shrieks and giggles. I shrugged but didn’t respond. I had a feeling that Danni wasn’t a fan of Cady, and I was willing to bet it had something to do with her crush on River. “I’m not sure about her. I think she’s hiding something. She seems quite evasive” Danni said, shooting a dark look in Cady’s direction. I was just about to respond when Levi, River and TJ appeared, dropping down on the pillows and blankets that we’d brought with us. “Hey sis” TJ said, grinning up at me. “What do you want?” I asked, narrowing my eyes. “Nothing. River and Levi are arguing over who stands a better chance with Jaz’s new friend” TJ replied, grinning as Both River and Levi flipped him off. I just shook my head and headed down the beach to the rest of my friends.

I approached the other girls who were looking up the beach at the boys. “What do they want?” Serah asked, looking at me, her arm draped around Cady’s shoulders. “To perv on Cady.” I replied dryly getting a laugh from Serah and Jaz and a deep crimson blush from Cady. “So…. River or Levi?” Serah asked her slyly. “What?” Cady looked confused. “Which do you prefer, River or Levi?” Serah asked again. Cady looked at the boys thoughtfully. “Levi seems nice but I have to admit, River is more my type.” She replied with a shrug. “You should talk to him. He’s a nice guy. Great personality, Great smile, great everything really, he’s just not…… he’s too broody.” Jas told me, looking up the beach at the boys. “Just not what?” Cady asked. “Well, he’s not into relationships. He’s more focused on the band. He doesn’t have time for a long term girlfriend” Jaz told her. “I got the feeling he might be changing his tune when it comes to Cady. He’s seems genuinely interested” I told them. I noticed that Cady’s eyes lingered on River for a long moment. “I might just do that” She said, giving us a half smile.