Sequel: Highway Don't Care
Status: one shot

I Never Said It Was Your Mistake

x

The short haired blonde was content with her life for the most part - she was in a place where she had everything she ever wanted when she was younger. Of course, her biggest, wildest dream of being loved and loving someone in return went unchecked. But she had the stage in front of her, the adoration that she always sought, and friends that she never thought she could have. And every time she took off on tour, she spent every night with at least fifty thousand of her new friends. But her best new friend was a six foot one, slightly scruffy man who wore skinny jeans and scruffed up boots with plaid shirts. His arms wrapped around her, a kiss pressed to her cheek. The gesture to anyone else would be romantic but for them - or well, for her - it was simply friendly.

Her hand reached up behind her to tangle her hand into his hair with a small smile, tilting her head to the side. Already her heart was hammering. “Hi there.”

Alex was already grinning and she liked that. His smile was more than enough to pump her back up after a bad day. Sure, she had seen him on some down days and she had been there for him. The comfort had held over for him towards her too. Of course they couldn’t spend every single day together and they couldn’t always talk and sometimes when they talked, it wasn’t exactly always super meaningful. But of course it could be. Her thoughts drove away when his lips brushed up to her neck, her body rolling towards his immediately. His voice was little more than a whisper when he finally spoke. “Your hair is curly again.”

Her thoughts were hard for her to compose for a while as his hands slide down to her hips. The media perception of the wide eyed woman was an innocent flower and it was Alex who figured out all the non innocent parts of her that no one else got to see. And it was a thrilling moment because it was the first time for her that she had opened up to someone who hadn’t been part of her life for a long time, that she felt she could be open with him and he would understand. And it was because of her comfort with him that she simply giggled and nodded. “Yeah… so it is.” His hand had reached up to twirl a curl around her finger and she brushed it aside with a small smile. “Alex, don’t mess my hair. You mussing my hair means I get to mess your hair up.”

One of Alex’s eyebrows quirked up slightly, a playful grin on his face. “You know I like it when you mess my hair up.”

She giggled again, shaking her head at him before pulling away from him and looking up at him with a slight smile on her face. “I’m on a time constraint, Alex. No time for that.” When she said that, she seemed to sense something that he wasn’t really wanting to say. And her face fell slightly. Her first instinct was to blame herself and ask herself if she had done something wrong. It had been grounded into her that she was at fault always by the media portrait of herself. Maybe she was the problem. However, she knew better than that - they weren’t lie that. It couldn’t have been her. “Is something wrong?”

He looked away from her before he looked at her, cupping her cheek. The move was suddenly far too intimate even though he had done it several times before. Everything was suddenly far too intimate for comfort and she wanted to wince away but she wondered if doing so would only make things worse. “I’m not your boyfriend,” was all he said.

And suddenly her brow furrowed, offended by the insinuation that she had made a mistake that she had believed him to be more than her friend. It was an entire built around for her image - oh that Taylor Swift. Coming on far too strong again. She hated it and to her, it wasn’t a funny joke at all. “I never thought you were.”

Anger was in her voice and Alex pulled his hand away from her. He looked at her, holding his stare on her. He was quick to speak. “I never said it was your mistake.”

Taylor’s lips parted slightly, before she broke her stare with Alex. She looked down before she looked back up at him. “I… I have to go.” And as she walked away, she realized something. Her friendship with Alex was shattered forever.