Status: ongoing

Falling out of Love

Prologue

Janos ran. He couldn't remember exactly why the hell he was running, but that's what he was doing. Through Vaci utca, or Vaci street, he ran pell mell, lungs burning with the need for air. Voices called out to him, yet he didn't slow down. The sudden urge to laugh maniacally surged through his system.

Everything stopped.

The Hungarian boy tensed as he woke up slowly, heart fluttering before his eyes did. He laid still, listening to the magpies outside as he became aware of his surrounds. Why was he worrying? What was there to worry about? It sounded like it was going to be a fine, beautiful da- oh fuck.
His eyes flew open, heart beating madly in his chest. He clutched at the sheets, one shaking hand searching under his pillow for the little velvet box. There it was, towards the back, caught between the bed and the wall. He exhaled slowly.
Today was a big day. Today... he could either go from seeming like a douche bag to the best man in the country. Today he was going to propose to his girlfriend of four years, Cath.

The more he thought about the woman, the more he regretted everything he had done in the past few years. Even every little kiss or look, the memories of them filled him with sadness and a sudden realisation that perhaps he was falling out of love, to use a Shakespearean idea.
Falling out of love, was not something he had planned on, especially with Cath.

Catherine, or Cath as she was known affectionately by her friends and family, was a jewel, hidden amongst fakes. Not outwardly beautiful, she was strong willed, opinionated, quick witted and intelligent. Everything Janos had dreamed about, she was. She had off days, but they were always because of him. Because sometimes, he was an absolute arsehole. He had to agree.
Cath and he had met in a German language class, in eleventh grade. He had moved to the country when he was fifteen with both his parents. Why? Because his somewhat of an airhead mother had insisted that they needed a change of pace, a sea change and oh, while we're at it, let's move to the other side of the world! His father had begrudgingly agreed, and so the quiet teen got dragged along as well. To be fair, he could have stayed home with his sister, but if he was being honest, he didn't particularly like the lady.

So Janos ended up in a quiet Melbourne public school, picking classes he knew he'd ace, others he wanted to try. He absolutely detested languages, but chose German just because he vaguely understood it.
It was his second day at the school where he met her. By chance, he had looked up and caught her blue eyes watching him. He could still remember the way she moved closer and introduced herself, offering help. He didn't need it, and told her so. Yet, their friendship began, and thus, their relationship a year later.

By now, Janos was turning the little box over and over in his lightly freckled hands, biting the inside of his lips, staring at the wall. He knew he loved her, surely nothing had changed.
Two months ago, he had bought her this simple- she wasn't one for shiny things- ring, thinking the proposal was going to be an awesome idea. Now he thought about it, no.

He got out of bed, dressing before he checked his phone.

CATH; remember the lunch!!!

Janos sighed. Today would be a long day, full of too many decisions.
♠ ♠ ♠
it's so short because I'm not fond of starting stories that no one is interested in reading. more to come