Vallen

Begin.

Image

Once upon a time, there was a boy who died.

And when boys die, they meet Death, who takes them by the hand, and doesn't bother to tell them it's all right. They know it's not without any sort of explanation, they know what's happening.

They're dead, and there's no going back to the world of living.

But sometimes when one dies, they manage to come back. Through their power of will, and the determination of those around their body, they can revive themselves. Sometimes they suffer, and die anyways, sometimes they regret trying to return, and sometimes, they come back into this world almost as if through different eyes.

Death tends to have that effect on you.

Once upon a time, there was a boy who died. And when he died, he met Death, who instead of taking him by the hand, smiled mischievously.

"I'm afraid, lad, that you're stuck in this world." He said to the boy, and the boy furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. With no further explaining, he was pushed back as if by a gust of wind into a land of poisoned oxygen and chemicals, with humans in masks all around him, saying he was dead for at least a minute.

Sometimes people regret coming back into this world. Sometimes they wish they'd stayed in the world of the afterlife. Even if it wasn't their fault, even if someone had come up from behind them and run a knife through their ribs, they may want to walk across that threshold with Death by their side.

Markus wasn't exactly one of those people, not really. What he was, though, was a boy who had never been happy, and had always felt darkness. When he left his body for that little minute, he felt an ease in his chest, a lifting of something heavy. When he was pushed back into the world, that heaviness was there again, and he didn't know how to get rid of it.

He wasn't unhappy to still be alive. He just wished he'd stayed dead.

But Death has an agenda, and whether or not he controls it, that agenda is to always be followed.

Once upon a time, there was a boy died. When he came back, he thought he'd never be happy again.

Death proved him wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thank you to those who read, recommended, and subscribed. 'Tis much appreciated. Merci, monsieur et mademoiselle.