Status: our lover boys are sealed and done.

Headfirst for Halos

.one.

The night sky was dreary, appearing toxic and not at all endearing. Wind shifted throughout the town, bitter and cold, much like every winter in Belleville. Not many people were out, but even then the cigarette littered air remained transfixed in that state of scent.

The buildings were old, mismatched planks of weathered wood patching in areas that were demolished over time. The pavement was riddled with gum paired with ash, blackening it and turning the cement displeasing. Old drunks stumbled all over, laughing as they took swigs of the poisonous liquid, almost finding shortening their life spans humorous.

What used to be the bright and shining stars appeared tarnished, smoke from the factories drowning out it's true beauty. Beaten cars drove around, most likely hurrying back into their homes, where at least it was safer. They added in the rancid scent, carbon coming out in darkened puffs.

Gerard stuck his hands deep into his pockets, hastily looking around per usual, almost as if some madman were following him. In this horrid neighborhood, it was honestly possible.

His ebony hair wisped lightly into his face, being blown all over due to it's longer length. He made sure he was walking swiftly, not wanting to be out here any longer then needed to. The task at hand wasn't the best one, but then again, Gerard wasn't known for making good choices in life.

He silently thanked the forces above that his apartment was close enough to the local liquor store, stepping inside within a jingle of the door's bells. Security cameras filled the small space, a tv in the back showing his every move from different angles.

Shelves and shelves of booze lined up perfectly, holding also every alcoholic beverage known to mankind. They even had fridges for those who preferred their drink chilled inside of lukewarm. As for Gerard, his taste varied, mostly because he didn't give a fuck. He grabbed a Corona twelve pack from the metal bars, manhandling it as he lugged the bottles over to the cashier.

The employee looked sideways at the disheveled man, keeping a glance on him as he rang the item up, his balding hair allowing gray minimal strands to flop into his face.

"That'll be 18.97." He informed, crossing his arms and leaning back into the plastic chair.

Gerard muffled out a curse, pulling the said amount of money from his tattered wallet. He counted the coins quickly, not wanting to spend more time in this joint when he could have been getting shit faced.

"Here." He said in a raspy tone, putting the cash on the counter and grabbing the bottle's handle.

He rushed out, being hit with a gust of wind as the bells jingled once more, the brightness of the store illuminating some of the street. He walked quickly, ignore the various noises that could almost engulf this small part of town. He payed no mind to certain things, just wanting to get back in one piece.

It wasn't long before he was face to face with the semi-damaged building known as his home. Like the rest of Belleville, bars covered the windows, a rusted copper color remaining after their paint had faded.

Gerard opened the door with ease, traveling into the building and proceeding to march up the stairs, not stopping until he was facing his door with the scratched metal numbers 221B glued onto it. Gerard fiddled with his muddle of keys, searching for the correct one among the rest of useless items.

He pulled the silver one, immediately sticking it into the knob, turning it hard enough to break the poor thing. He wrapped his hand around it, yanking so it would open with a large creek. The door was a peach color, chipping down to the very source it was made from.

He stepped in, closing his point of access and locking it. His apartment was a dark area, aged and ratty couches occupying the space known as his living room. The kitchen was connected to it, broken bottles and moldy counter tops making it appear disgusting.

The only clean room was the one where his bed was located in, mostly so he wouldn't have to lie in a puddle of his own bodily fluids. He placed the twelve pack on his side table, plopping onto a love seat and grabbing the remote, at least to connect with the outer world without psychically being there.

The television came on with ease, crackling with a quick flash of that intermixed white and black screen. A reporter was seen, announcing this week's tragedies without even batting an eye. She showed no sympathy, simply doing her job and announcing deaths for the 100th time this day.

He gripped onto one of the bottles, carefully pulling it out in order to not damage the others. He snapped the cap off, slouching his posture and taking a well needed gulp. His eyes were focused on the TV, flipping through the stations with a blank expression.

He continued to drink his sorrows away, not stopping until he was a shit faced mess, the television long forgotten.

_________________________________________

He woke up with an ear splitting headache, his mind throbbing and aching immensely. It felt unstoppable, much like all the other hangovers he had to cure himself from. He groaned, pressing a palm to his upper face.

Gerard lightly stretched his limbs, growling slightly as minimal beams of light filtered throughout the room, a comforter covering his clothed body. Waking up was never the most enjoyable task to accomplish, especially with the pains he was enduring. Although it was self imposed. He rolled towards the edge of the mattress, sitting up with his head hung low, squeezing his eyes tightly shut.

After minimally regretting last night's decisions, he merely climbed out of bed, feeling groggy and irritable. He allowed his vision to adjust somewhat, not wanting his world is be blurred and disproportionate. He weaved around the random objects that littered his somewhat cleanly room, escaping through the crack left in his open door.

From there, he paced through the hallway, stumbling slightly due to his hangover from Hell. His pajama bottoms sagged almost dangerously past his waist, the tattered draw strings not doing their job anymore. He ignored it for meantime, knowing sooner or later he had to get new ones.

Although that seemed like an absolute waste in money.

Gerard lazily walked over to the kitchen, his grimy tiles no longer it's former shade. He looked around, allowing his eyesight to grow accustomed to the new surroundings. He stretched his long arm towards the counter, not bothering to turn and grab it like a normal person.

It seemed like too much work at the time, after all, he preferred an easy and carefree life.

He simply grasped one of his mugs, specifically the one with the Tardis printed over it in chipping letters. Surely it had to be from the late 80s with that much damage. Decidedly moving like a sane person, he trudged towards the dish coated sink, filling his cup with tap water. It was almost as if he were a zombie, his actions being slow and just overall lazy.

It was expected, but it that didn't really justify it as much as Gerard would have liked it to.

He soon turned, of course not before shifting the faucet off, and opened his battered coffee machine's lid, pouring the cold substance in with ease.

He grasped the scarlet jar of Folgers, not necessarily enjoying this brand but buying it during a sale. He took a spoonful of the black grains, dumping it into the coffee holder. He pressed the green brewing button, watching as it glowed and noises came out of the small device.

He needed his strength if he planned on working today, even though it wasn't the best or necessarily a good paying job.

You see, Gerard was an artist, hardly known yet still managing to sell the occasional painting. He was great at his occupation, which of course led to high payments. If he was lucky he'd be able to pay the rent and afford some common needs.

He typically didn't care for purchasing newer clothes, his one track mind truly only carrying for--not the best of things I should say.

Booze and drugs really, despite how horrible it sounds once stated.

It all came with a price, one that took a toll on his health and income. It didn't really matter to him however.

Why would he remove the only things that kept him happy in life?

It just sounded idiotic.

But then again, no one had ever tried to stop him from destroying his body. Overall in this existence, he had nobody. It was both a blessing and curse, admittedly it felt that way.

He pushed away his pessimistic notions, placing his mug underneath the nozzle and flicking a switch, watching as brown water traveled into the cup in a little stream.

It made him smile slightly, reaching over to grab 2 packets of sugar from a small jar that had been residing on his counter. Gerard pulled the mug away before it began to over flow, the liquid appearing as a darkened abyss. He bit the sweetener open, tearing at the top paper before dumping it into his coffee, repeating the steps to the second.

He clasped the spoon once more, stirring his drink while humming a bit of Kansas. He brought the lukewarm drink to his lips, drinking the fluid despite it scorching the inside of his mouth. He downed most of it within a minute or so, trying to get the benefits of caffeine quickly.

He held it by the handle, decidedly going in his practically demolished living room to get working. As long as his art wasn't damaged, he didn't really care what things looked like.

Gerard settled his coffee onto the small dining room table, going back to his room in order to retrieve a box of paints. He tromped into the next area, slipping through the opening in his door, not really bothering to expand it fully. While glancing at the entire space, he went over to his dresser, snatching the cardboard from on top of it.

He walked over to the desk next to it, easily grabbing a canvas and placing it underneath his arm, continuing to hum in order to pass the time.

Soon enough, like every other day in his mundane yet, self destructive existence, he was painting, awaiting the money he would soon use to buy his precious little pills.

_________________________________________

His mind shifted within reason, feeling lightheaded and giddy as his marijuana filled lungs let out stiffled laughter, finding nothing in particular funny. The side effects were wearing off, making the high less enjoyable, much to his dismay. It made his head throb slightly, yet regardless of that fact, Gerard wanted to add onto this relieving sensation.

So of course he was going back to his favorite liquor store (well the closest one; not that he necessarily liked it). He stumbled forward, forgetting almost every precautionary task and just simply throwing caution to the wind. He was dressed in his skeleton onesie, looking like an overgrown toddler.

He didn't really care however, even as passersby pointed and stared at his ridiculous outfit. He shuffled his feet, just now really feeling normal instead of drugged up and somewhat happy. He just wanted to get to the shop, to hang onto this sensation for longer.

He kept his gaze focused on his shoes, apparent footsteps making him gain control of his senses. Due to his curiosity and wondering as to why someone would be out at 12:13 AM, Gerard finally looked up, coming face to face with a mere child, no older than 13. His voice got caught in his throat as he looked at the boy with a confused expression, halting in the center of the sidewalk.

The child was short, possibly only 5'3 or maybe even less. He was tiny and almost paper white, locks of chocolate brown hair swirling into his face as his eyes locked onto Gerard's, a smile gracing his beautiful complexion.

Gerard furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head in absolute confusion, not really capable of doing more. Although he wasn't exactly shitfaced, no ordinary mind could process the ramblings going on in his mind.

It was just honestly puzzling, even to Gerard's under the influence brain. Everyone knew never to let their children out at night, they would surely be hurt, or even raped out here.

This wasn't a good situation, especially for a person so young.

The boy's smile grew wider as he glanced at Gerard, stepping forward so he wasn't so far. He pointed at the older man's chest, giggling slightly.

"You're not a skeleton, silly!" He playfully said, his tone slightly high pitched. He trotted over to a bewildered Gerard, stepping on his tippy toes to poke at the hood.

Gerard let out a choked sound, looking at the child with a perplexed appearance.

"Um, I--uh." He stuttered, not truly knowing how to respond.

The boy continued to play with the fabric, squealing with delight every time he found something amusing.

Seemingly just now sobering up, Gerard retracted himself from the boy, mostly on instinct since he was practically glued to a stranger. The kid didn't seem to care, only getting closer in order to fiddle with the taller man's cloth.

He truly didn't know what to do, his mind somewhat fearing for the child's safety. He went with the first question in his mind, mostly to escape this odd silence.

"Um, what's your name?" Gerard vocalized, sounding pretty awkward.

The child hummed, still examining Gerard's choice of outfit with wide eyes.

"Frankie." He responded, petting the fabric as if it were a household animal.

Gerard chuckled inwardly, knowing that must have been a nickname for "Frank".

He knew by then this boy most likely wasn't from around here. Kids by his age were always taught never to speak to strangers, or even wander out at this time.

With alcohol for the first time in the farest corner of his brain, he got down on one knee in order to face Frank, trying his best to be friendly. He just wanted to get the child home safely, drinking until he puked would just have to wait.

"Hi Frankie, I'm Gerard." He said with a smile.

Frank nodded briefly, moving on from the skeleton pattern and instead playing with Gerard's shaggy hair. He seemingly liked it, even though the strands were longer and more dirty than his own.

He didn't appear to have much interest as to what Gerard was saying, merely focusing his attention on something less important like a true child.

"Where's your family?"

Only then had Frank responded with somewhat full regard, taking hold of Gerard's hand as best he could, the limb being much larger then his own. Before Gerard could question what the boy was doing, Frank used it to point in the way he came, right near the bridge that separated this town from the next.

"Oh." The older man murmured, biting his lip, watching as Frank let go of his palm and instead bombarded his hair with more notice.

He couldn't possibly allow this boy to travel home alone at night; even with Gerard by his side they could both easily be injured. He had no money to spare for a cab and well, he doubted Frank was keeping any spare change in his trousers.

It wasn't a good idea, leaving the older man with no other option. He sighed, not liking it in the slightest.

"Well, come on Frankie, I'm going to take you to my house. It's not safe out here." He explained, watching Frank's face light up with a blush.

"Kay!" He exclaimed, grasping hold of Gerard's hand once more as they both walked off.

_________________________________________

Gerard exhaled roughly as he allowed the boy to venture into his apartment, watching as he gleefully ran in and jumped onto the loveseat almost automatically. Frank folded his legs like a pretzel, gazing all around with interest. The older man exasperatedly picked up random objects from the floor, tossing them in their right place so it wasn't so messy.

Frank simply viewed his every action, his orbs darting around every time Gerard made a movement. The young adult had to at least make it safe for the boy, knowing that broken glass and rollies wasn't the safest to have around a kid, no matter how little about them he knew.

"So, how old are you Frankie?" He asked with a groan, bending over to grab a pillow from the floor. He paused, holding it in his hands for moment before just tossing it onto the couch.

Frank seemed to ponder this, counting on his fingers and then redoing that action all over again.

"I'm seven--ten?" He said, not knowing how to really word it.

Gerard couldn't help as his mouth gaped open, gulping slightly before just closing it. The boy looked so young, there was no way in Hell he could have been that age.

Unless he had something wrong with him, which Gerard speculated to be true.

"How old are you?" Frank inquired back, leaning a bit off of the sofa to look at Gerard.

He laughed a bit, continuing to absentmindedly sort out the mess known as his apartment.

"I'm twenty three, old I know."

Frank vigorously shook his head, squishing the couch as he gripped onto the ledge of it.

"No you're not! Darlene is old, you aren't." He clarified.

Gerard walked over, sitting down in the seat next to Frank, deciding the place was clean enough.

"Is Darlene your mom?"

Frank shook his head one more, his long hair flying around as he did so.

"My mommy isn't here."

Gerard surely felt puzzled, which his face reflected as he continued questioning the boy.

"What about your dad?"

Frank crawled closer to Gerard, folding his knees so he would be sitting on them, his back up straight.

"Daddy isn't here either."

Gerard sat up more upright, an arm lazily sprawled out.

"Well where'd they go?"

Frank fiddled with his hands, wringing them gently. He didn't respond for a second, appearing as if he didn't want to say. He played with the heart shaped locket that was hung loosely around his neck, Gerard viewing with curious eyes.

Frank peeked up through his long lashes, pouting slightly as he avoided the other man's gaze.

"Heaven."

Gerard felt a wave of sorrow drift over him, feeling genuinely sorry for the boy. No one should ever go through the death of their parents, let alone both of them being gone. It was probably hard for him, Hell, it would be difficult for anyone. But with whatever condition Frank dealt with, it must have been miserable.

"Oh, I'm sorry for your loss."

Frank put his hand up, maybe in a way to say "let it go".

"It's okay. I was little. Like not baby young but young young, you know?" He commented, once again playing with Gerard's clothing, mostly just rubbing it in between the pads of his fingers.

Gerard nodded, understanding what he was trying to vocalize.

"Where's your mommy and daddy?" Frank remarked with a soft tone.

Gerard shrugged, wiping a hand across his face due to exhaustion.

"I don't know. Somewhere, I guess."

"Oh." Frank whispered.

Gerard crossed his legs, yawning quite loudly.

"You sleepy?" Frank asked, balling his hands together and placing them in his lap.

The older man stood, racking his brain over where would Frank stay, after all he couldn't just kick him out.

"Uh yeah, it's time for bed."

Frank looked up, his eyes twinkling slightly, looking innocent and overall just stunning.

Gerard walked into the next room, deciding to just take the couch and allow the boy to stay in his bed for the moments being. It would only be a one time occurrence, he could live without his mattress for just a night after all. Frank followed closely behind, acting like a child hiding behind their mother's back, observing all the things around him.

Gerard ventured over to his damaged closet, the doors on the verge of falling over. He reached upwards, grabbing one of the folded blankets. He looked back at Frank who was still continuously watching him, appearing intrigued despite Gerard not knowing what was so great about him.

"You're going to be staying in my room tonight okay?" Gerard announced, slinging the cloth over his shoulder.

Frank had a confused look, tilting his head slightly to the left.

"Are you staying with me?"

Gerard shook his head.

"No, I'll be on the couch inside. If you need anything feel free to wake me up."

"Oh." Frank said, sounding a bit disappointed.

Gerard just shrugged, justifying that tone as the boy merely wanting company. He was far from home after all.

When Frank didn't budge, the young adult gestured to the bed, watching as the teenager did that cute "oh" face and shuffled over to the mattress.

He climbed onto the substance with ease, despite the bed being elevated and almost too high up for him. He slung the blue comforter over his body, once again playing with it, as he did with mostly everything.

"Night, Gee-rard!" He called out as Gerard exited the room, bearing an adorable smile as he mispronounced his name in one of the most "aww" worthy fashions

Gerard grinned back, looking through the crevasse in his door.

"Good night Frankie." He said before closing it fully, retreating towards the lumpy couch that would now serve as his temporary bed.

_________________________________________

The next morning started out to be unusual, in many senses of course. Instead of being awakened with that pitiful throbbing sensation that would ring around inside his skull, a soft poke was being committed to his upper arm.

Since of course he hadn't been really involved with anyone for a while, he wasn't exactly used to the body that had been kneeling next to him, warmth radiating off of the being.

The most socialization he ever got was from the people he purchased his addictions from, as depressing as that may sound. His spine ached with dissatisfaction, the couch not being the best place to have slept on. A slight nudge of pain shot up the bone, adding to his exasperated mood. He whined as the unrecognized force kept prodding, a soft hum being discerned.

Despite not truly wanting to, he parted his eyes, the world contorted and blurry around him. Brightness bombarded his vision, hissing lowly as he tried to get used to the new sights. He furrowed his eyebrows, looking to see Frank being the one who was jabbing at his flesh, obviously not realizing the man was awake. His little hands were soft, delicate despite his actions.

"Frankie?" He croaked, perplexed as to why he was being awaken at this time.

Immediately the boy cowered back, not expecting Gerard to just randomly speak. He leaned back onto the coffee table, balancing his minimal weight on the palms of his hands. His red lips were parted, absentmindedly gnawing on the lower part.

"Sorry!" He squeaked.

Gerard groaned slightly, sitting upwards so we was inclined on his elbow, the blanket loosely covering his lower body.

"It's fine, Frankie. Why did you wake me up?" He asked with a deep yawn, his voice lowered in octaves.

Frank didn't look so convinced, once again yanking on the necklace that was laced around him. It seemed to be a nervous habit, as with the lip biting.

"I-I-I dunno?" He said, his head hung downwards like a sad puppy.

The very sight made Gerard's heart burn with sadness, sighing as he stared at the boy below him, not really knowing what to do.

A soft grumble could be hear throughout the room, Frank bashfully sticking his hands in between his thighs out of embarrassment. He blushed ever so slightly, murmuring under his breath for his tummy to shut up.

Gerard smiled, understanding as to why Frank had woken him up. He was surely hungry, Hell, the older man didn't even know when the kid last ingested something.

"It's okay. I'll make you something to eat." He ensured, although the smaller boy didn't look back up at him.

He moved to the ledge of the sofa, standing as he reached out his hand for Frank to grab. The teenager faltered for a bit, eventually grasping Gerard's palm and pulling himself up.

Once again, he just followed idly behind as the young adult went into the kitchen, Frank's balled fists almost glued into his lap.

He climbed onto one of the folding chairs, watching with fascinated eyes as Gerard rummaged through the cabinets. Frank's stomach continued to rumble, much to his dismay as he continued to murmur childish insults to it.

Gerard smiled proudly once he found something Frank could have, despite it not being the healthiest nor most satisfying meal. He grabbed a bowl from on top of the microwave, placing it on the counter as it clattered about. Eventually he placed a spoon inside it and filled it up to the rim in Cheerios.

He felt kind of bad that he couldn't give Frank a proper meal, especially since he didn't even have milk for the cereal.

The one in his fridge was surely rotten, clumped and incredibly gross. Feeling slightly defeated, he trudged over to Frank and slid the bowl over to him.

Immediately the boy's eyes brightened, pulling the dish close to his chest.

"Thank you, Gee-rard." He said shyly, the twist on the older man's name seemingly sticking, not that he was complaining.

He chuckled under his breath, decidedly pulling up a chair to sit with Frank, even though he didn't feel in the mood of eating or drinking some coffee.

"It's no problem."

Frank spooned the dry cereal into his mouth, tapping his utensil on the bowl instead since he couldn't exactly reach the floor with his feet.

"When was the last time you ate?" Gerard asked, noticing how quickly the boy was devouring his food.

Frank shrugged, continuing to munch on his circular snack.

"Um...Last time I did Darlene was really really mad, she said that I shouldn't sneak food and that I had enough at dinn-ur." He vocalized, his expression showing how unhappy that memory was.

"But I didn't want to eat that stuff. It had baby animal in it and I didn't like that, no, Frankie didn't like that..." He rambled, halting his actions with the spoon.

"She said I was being selfish, but I promise, Gee, I wasn't. So she wouldn't let me eat anymore, she said I have to go to my room or have what was given to me."

Gerard could only gasp at this, not believing that a person would do such a thing. Let alone to a mentally challenged boy, it was just downright cruel.

"...When was this?"

Frank seemed to ponder that, absentmindedly twirling his long locks.

"Tuesday." He whispered.

Gerard couldn't help but feel upset at Frank's statement, that some bitch wouldn't allow a child to eat for two fucking days. It was bad enough she yelled at him, but this?

He quickly closed his slightly slacked jaw, not responding as the younger man continued to just disregard his meal.

He purposely allowed the topic to drop, merely just wanting Frank to have something in his stomach with no questions asked.

He couldn't help but wonder if that's the reason Frank left home, Hell, Gerard would too under those circumstances.

The teenager soon resumed digging into his snack less adamant than before, his mood was obviously spoiled. He felt sorry for him, and in a way, Gerard didn't want him to go home. The kid was obviously being mistreated, I mean, that was good enough reason for any somewhat sane person to want to protect him. Frank had the mentality of a child, using small words and pronouncing things wrong despite his apparently older age.

Gerard was just unable comprehend that sick person's reasoning behind their severe actions.

Although he wanted nothing more than to help the teenager, the young adult had done enough already. If he allowed Frank to stay with him instead of returning home, people would have thought he was taking advantage of the kid or something. Probably bringing him one of those rag dolls and asking "where did the man touch you?".

It was practically kidnapping, considering that Frank had a mental disorder and was apparently underage.

It would have caused unnecessary drama, also Gerard would never be able to step up to the plate as a reliable caretaker. He could barely take care of himself, let alone a mentally ill child.

Gerard simply left his decision of taking Frank back to his rightful family. Regardless if they were blood related or not, that's where Frank belonged.

Not with some strange pill addicted male.

A slight yawn interrupted his thinking process, looking up to see Frank finished with his food, the bowl adorned with the reminisce of cereal, little titches of crumbs being noticeable. Gerard reached over, grabbing the bowl unexpectedly as Frank watched. He went up from his seat, lazily placing the dish into the sink, not bothering to rinse it or clean the rest of the plates that were piled up over time.

"Do you need to use the bathroom? I'm taking you back to your family's house." Gerard explained, leaning his forearms on the counter top.

Frank shook his head, remaining silent as he stared up at Gerard with large doe eyes, appearing innocent and just absolutely stunning.

Gerard didn't understand how anyone would harm this beautiful teenager.

"Okay then." He brushed his hands together, turning to grab a jacket from the hook next to his kitchen archway.

Since yesterday his skeleton onesie had been long disregarded, leaving him with some plaid pajama bottoms and a white t shirt. It wouldn't give the best first impression but he honestly didn't care. He was comfortable and well, he didn't yearn for whatever respect those degenerates would offer him.

Frank was wearing his previous outfit too, not changing since he basically slept in the thing. Gerard's clothes would have been too big for him anyways. The boy was really small for his age, slim and short, making whatever cloth Gerard had in store oversized to the max.

Frank would have been able to change once he got home so the older man wasn't worrying that much.

He slipped on the coat with ease, faux brown leather appearing weathered and old. After all, it was probably from the early 90s. He shuffled over to the mat off towards the corner of the kitchen, the one in which had a framed photo of a flower was being pictured with the words "10 x 14" numbered on it. He hadn't bothered to place an actual paper in there, merely leaving it with the default. He presumed he should perhaps do that soon but pushed away the thought almost automatically, deeming it unimportant.

He slid his beaten Doc Martins on, the toe scuffled and torn slightly, showing the gray material it was made from. He didn't bother lacing it, leaving the strings flopping about. Gerard was practically the perfect example of a disheveled appearance. With unruly black hair that not even a brush could tame and loose fitting clothing, he just looked like a cleanly homeless person.

He grabbed Frank's sneakers of the side of the room also, vaguely remembering how he put them there the day before. He strided towards Frank, handing the size 4 over. The boy smiled slightly, reaching down to put them on his clothed feet.

"Thank you." He said timidly.

Gerard smiled in response, merely waiting as the boy struggled but soon was able to get them on.

He stood up from the chair, coming over to be next to Gerard. It was almost cute to see the height difference between the two, Frank barely able to reach Gerard's shoulder. The older man could see how he at first mistaken the 17 year old as a middle schooler. Anyone would have, or at least that's what he perceived to be true.

Gerard began leading the way, feeling Frank extend his hand and entwine it with the young adult's. Like the teen himself, his palm was abnormally tiny, but adorable nonetheless. Frank only bashfully grinning when Gerard looked down at him for an explanation.

He didn't have a problem with it however, soon exiting the house and walking through the halls as a pair. They traveled down the stairwell, the flooring covered with rust and paint chips. It wasn't a very long walk, and in no time they were out on the pavement, simply looking like two siblings on a day out in the town.

Frank didn't talk much, continuing to keep that youthful essence to him as he skipped instead of walking normally.

Due to it being early in the morning and the time in which people took public transportation to work, they were able to catch a bus, despite it being rancid and not the most enjoyable of things. Gerard didn't have a car and well, he preferred the alternative to walking through a fucked up area.

Their hands remained interlocked as Gerard winded through the standing crowd, Frank being dragged along beside him. He perched them both on the farthest seat, away from any large groups of people. The younger man sighed as the bus began to move once more, the doors giving off that hissing sound as they were closed. Puffs of gray smoke belted from the tail pipe, the husky driver muttering foul language under his breath.

In a rather deep tone, he notified them of their next stop, that being Marlboro New Jersey. The town in which Frank had said he lived.

It was one of those rich places, similar to Matawan or any other city in NJ. People in Jersey were never the nicest, more so in those select areas. The entitlement and money just truly made their personalities worse.

Nonetheless, that's where they were headed, not that they had much choice when it came to travel.

Frank leaned his head on Gerard's upper arm, pouting as he realized he had to go home. It was far from ideal of course, even with his smaller mind he knew that Darlene wasn't a good person, and neither was John. He wanted to just stay with Gerard, he seemed nice and was more tolerant than his current guardians ever were.

He liked the older man.

Frank allowed his eyes to flutter shut, dark eyelashes curled on his cheeks to form a beautiful contrast. Gerard felt equally as tired and even slightly irritated with the situation they were in. Especially since a special needs child was being mistreated and there wasn't anything he could do about it.

Gerard kept staring straight ahead, eyes open as the boy was seemingly attempting to doze off.

He counted the minutes, waiting until they would finally reach their destination.

_________________________________________

The bus soon dropped them off somewhat close to the house Gerard was looking for, Frank absent mindedly telling him the road in the most unenthusiastic tone ever. The older man of course understood why his reaction was like that, even though it made him only feel worse about how he was handing Frank over to these abusers.

He exasperatedly exhaled, still hand and hand with Frank as they traveled on the sidewalk, passersby staring oddly at the untidy male too close for comfort with a younger child.

Their footsteps littered the practically quiet atmosphere, expensive cars buzzing around them as they passed the same large houses over and over again. It was almost as if they were cloned, merely changing a window or two and that was it. Chandeliers could be seen from the front glass, most of these people just wanting to show off their valuable possessions.

It was stupid, honestly.

Frank hummed lowly as they continued at their slow pace, swinging their arms slightly back and forth, although it was with minimal force. He smiled as he did so, biting his inner cheek due to dreading his return.

The tune stopped once Frank paused his walking, head hung low as Gerard looked at him with questioning eyes.

The teenager didn't respond, causing the older man to look upwards to notice they were standing in front of a huge creme tinted house, no cars being seen at all. He assumed the place was empty, that maybe they didn't even realize Frank had left.

"Is this your home?" He asked, just to be sure.

Frank nodded sadly, glancing up at Gerard quickly before dropping his gaze.

The older man smiled weakly, not really knowing what to do. He began leading Frank up the cobble stone path, the heel of his shoes clacking against the substance rather loudly. He weaved past the lantern type lights that adorned the side of the trail, stepping on the overly green grass in order to access the house. They stood in front of the partly crystallized wooden door, unlacing their hands so that they were facing one another.

Before Gerard could even say goodbye, Frank lunged him into a hug, causing him to stumble back a foot or so. His hands hovered over the younger boy's back, Frank's arms tight around his waist. After faltering for a minute or so, he hugged back, leaning his head on top of Frank's curly mop of hair. He could feel Frank smile against him, soon loosening to the point where only their chests were touching.

He looked up at Gerard hastily, getting on his tippy toes to give a quick peck on the cheek, his soft lips not lingering for more than a second or too.

"I see you again, okay? Bye Gee!" He giggled before prancing to the door, simply just throwing himself in as he left Gerard dumbfounded and blushing on the porch.

_________________________________________

He traveled back home similar to a zombie, getting back onto the local bus and soon slumping into the mess he called an apartment. Although it had been an hour since that unexpected kiss happened, his cheek still tingled, the sensation just being plain weird. He didn't understand it in the slightest, but soon disregarded that questioning fact, climbing back on his sofa and watching the day's daily dose of depression.

Despite believing Frank was nice kid, he truly expected their paths never to cross again. His guardians would have surely sentenced him to lockdown after that stunt he pulled, it was just presumed to occur. The absence of Frank was both relieving and saddening. Mostly since the boy didn't deserve the mistreatment he was being exposed to, but then on the other hand, Gerard could do as he pleases without having to worry about a kid being the next room.

He ignored the aching in his heart and forlorn guilt, proceeding to drink himself into a coma per usual, continuing the drawn out cycle of self destruction.

_________________________________________

A wad of hundreds resided in the 23 year old's pocket, a slight grin plastered onto his face as he walked himself down the street, more cautious than how he was a few nights ago. He allowed his eyes to keep lookout, wearily glancing around at the empty areas among him. He surely didn't work so hard to get mugged now did he? Happiness riddled his blackened little heart, merely feeling glad that he could finally afford his important "medication".

He had just recently sold the paintings he had been slaving over, greatly happy that his most favorite customer had been willing to purchase this one. The male paid good money, and for some reason adored Gerard's work, despite the young adult not knowing what about his was so great. He commonly asked for custom works, Gerard then making them and vending once completed. Gerard assumed the buyer was reselling after given, simply using the artist as a paid worker.

Gerard didn't really care however, knowing that he needed the money and didn't mind it as long as he got some of the profits. He continued walking in a straight line, his tattered converse beating at the gum stricken ground, the world glowing from all the street slights around him. His breath came out in white puffs, the cold Autumn air seemingly just now drifting in on New Jersey.

The sky was a dark cerulean; a prominent hue that was bordering its way on becoming black. He admired the twinkling stars that adorned it, light dots freckling across the atmosphere like a splatter of paint. It reminded Gerard of watercolors, mostly since a fair shade of purple still stood out from all the darkness, swirling around in soft wafts, almost like cotton candy. Everything just appeared so mesmerizing, even though the earth around him was wretched and not divine in the slightest.

It was ugly, but that's what he enjoyed most. It captivated the artist on how the land was far from perfect, showing real life but still pertaining it's beauty in certain ways. It never was overwhelming, since among all this drab and filth would be that one thing that made living here all worth it. Of course Gerard hadn't found that specific noun yet, but he was looking forward to it, instead paying attention to the gorgeous sky or even snow that floated down from the Heavens.

Buildings stood tall, shadowed and looming over him, alleys remaining in the gaps between. The structures were mostly copper colored, bricks cracking and tarnished due to age. He kept his head down and shivering hands in his jean pockets, turning his face sometimes to make sure no one was walking along side.

Soon enough, whether it be to his dismay or absolute joy, he was there, right next to Belmont Avenue. He bit his lip slightly, holding the flesh with his teeth before eventually letting go. He kept his head up, momentarily flicking a lock of hair behind his ear. He proceeded to keep walking, although a bit slower after his brief pause. He continued his way to on of the building sides, police sirens lightly filtering amongst all the background noise.

Although Belleville was one huge mess of a town, Belmont had always been more run down, crime filling it in copious amounts. Gerard honestly couldn't believe this city used to be a tight knit Italian community. Judging by the description many had classified it as, Belleville always had seemed to be a terrible place, which Gerard considered it to be.

The fact that some years ago it had been nice just seemed insane.

Gnawing on the inside of his cheek, he strided towards the back alley way, the air more pungent and rancid. Over there a figure in dressed in black stood, seemingly passing a little clear bag over to another person from the angle, being handed cash in return.

Gerard continued walking over, almost itching with excitement as the customer left, leaving the two men alone. The other male turned his head, looking at the young adult with a toothy grin, licking his lips slightly.

"Ah, Gerard! My man, I see you're back for more!" He cheered, reaching over to roughly collide their hands together, shaking briefly as Gerard let out a quick smile.

"Yeah, how's business been, Bert?" He questioned nonchalantly.

Bert shrugged, leaning his back on the wall while beginning to light a rollie.

"Been okay." He responded with the cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth. "Fuckin' slow, though."

Gerard nodded, the small talk ending as Bert removed the fag from his lips, blowing out some gray air.

"So, what're you looking for now? You look pretty tense man, I have some crystal if you want--I think you could use it." He negotiated, per usual trying to force some unwanted product onto Gerard.

He shook his head, scrunching his nose while letting out stifled laughter.

"Yeah, no. I thought you knew me better, Bert."

The other man giggled, his mouth almost oozing smoke.

"Never hurts to try, Way."

He pressed the cancer stick onto the brick next to him, allowing the amber flame to distinguish and fall into ash on the ground.

"The usual, I presume." He asked, looking up as it opened his heavy jacked, dipping fingers into one of the pockets.

Gerard nodded with a smirk, watching with interested eyes as Bert pulled out a orange pill bottle, red and blue pills residing lazily in the bottom.

"Here ya go." Bert drawled, handing it over to Gerard.

"I would like my usual fee, that is unless you'd like to pay with...something else." He winked, raising an eyebrow suggestively.

Gerard rolled his eyes, grasping a a few bills from his pocket and giving them over, holding the bottle with his other hand.

"I'd rather stick STD free, McCracken." He mocked.

Bert placed a hand over his beating heart, feigning a pout.

"Ouch. That hurts." He said with faux pain.

Gerard scoffed, turning to leave.

"Goodbye Bert."

The drug dealer smirked, saluting the artist while shoving the dollars into his coat pocket.

"Later, Way!"

_________________________________________

He allowed the joint to hang from the corner of his mouth, the oily and foul scent feeling enjoyable once entered into his lungs. He couldn't help but splutter slightly as his body first ingested the stuff, not used to anything but the healthy substance known as oxygen. He took deep breaths, savoring the beauty like it was his lifeline. The rolled paper soon burned down, the edges scorned and weed in a limited supply.

He perhibited himself to drop it onto the makeshift ashtray, the object simply being a plastic container. He coughed a few times, wheezing almost as he contorted his body in order to grab his next deathwish, the little orange pill bottle. He held it with a firm grip, turning it slowly around to read the prescription. Gerard only examined it shortly, not really in the mood or even caring to what the shit inside was. All he knew is that it made him feel amazing, despite suffering a crash once the effects wore off.

That didn't matter at this moment however, him just wanting to relive that beautiful fucking sensation. He pressed down on the circular cap, hearing a quick crack in response as he twisted the lock, popping it off easily. He tossed the lid over his shoulder, decidedly leaning the holder so only the red capsules could fall out.

Those were the ones that helped him fly, to feel invincible and fucking free. The blue (unlike the other tinted capsule) aided him to calm down after his high was completed and worn.

He slammed the bottle back onto the counter, tilting his head back to expose the pale skin of his neck as he dry swallowed the tablets, a foul taste residing in the back of his throat. He frowned, not enjoying the flavor very much. He knew however leaving the pills without any drink would only intensify the sensations, despite him wanting a swig of alcohol.

Gerard knew however he couldn't have that amber liquid, that it would only end up leading to a fatal intermixion.

He smiled slightly, knowing it would only be shortly before the tablets finally did their job, leaving him a bliss not even marijuana could cause.

_________________________________________

It would be weeks before he ever saw Frank again, that being in the back of his mind since it was pretty much expected. Although he assumed their paths would never cross again. He merely focused on his job and well, death defying "hobby", as life had been before their encounter. Gerard hadn't forgot him per say, it was just the least of his concerns, despite feeling underlying guilt that came with sentencing Frank to go live with those bastards.

He let out a minuscule frown, truly not wanting to think about that, especially since he had a fucking reeking garbage bag slung over him. He gagged at the aroma, wanting to vomit from just having it so close to his face. It smelled like used marijuana, old takeout, and well, aged beer. Not exactly the most pleasing combination, after all.

He trudged his way out the door frame, not bothering to close it since he would only be a second. Not many people lived in his apartment building, simply not wanting to live in an area so devastating. Especially since the building was aged and under practically 100 year old renovation, so he was pretty much safe.

He scowled once more at the weight and pure stench of the shiny plastic bag, stepping down the stairs slowly so he wouldn't trip and splatter his head open. He kept a hand locked on the paint chipped railing, curving down the final pass and making it to the building's front entrance.

He glanced around wearily, per usual making sure no one was around to potentially mug him. In this area at 10 o' Clock at night, anything was possible. Once realizing hardly anyone was out, besides the occasional police siren or "thug" with sagging pants, he neared his way down the closest alley way, heading over to one of those green metal dumpsters

Once there, he finally was allowed to place the bag down, flipping open the large object's lid to be exposed to even more stench. He grimaced, tossing the bag in and watching as beer bottles clattered and most likely broke at the force of impact. He brushed off his hands lazy, leaning up to close the thing with a large slam. The noise rang throughout the atmosphere, sounding pretty damn scary and unexpected.

Just as he was about to head back, something well....stopped him.

"Gee!" He heard a small voice call, his heart stopping in surprise as he turned to see Frank lunging in for a hug.

Except this one he did not return.

He stood there for a moment with his hands hovering over the smaller boy's back as he stumbled backwards once more. His eyebrows furrowed as he was in pure shock, eyes widened. Frank didn't really notice, or he just didn't really care, continuing to squeeze Gerard but not too tight. He closed his eyes, his lips in a pure driven smile of happiness.

Frank soon pulled away, standing only a few inches away from the taller man as he looked up with excited yet large eyes.

Almost as if he were coming out of a trance, Gerard stepped back a foot, tilting his head in confusion.

"Frank...?" He said weakly. "Why are you here?"

The younger boy gave an over exaggerated shrug, giggling.

"Well I said I would see you soon." He pointed out in his usual slightly high pitched tone. "Right? Frankie said that, yes I did. You hear right?"

Gerard mostly ignored what Frank was saying, too busy peering around to see if anyone was there. He surely didn't want people getting the bad idea that he was a pedophile or something.

I mean, talking in a dark alley with a boy who looked 13 wouldn't probably look that great.

"Y-Yeah yeah, I did hear, um, you say that." He stammered nervously, suddenly reaching out to grasp the teenager's hand.

"Let's go inside, okay? We can talk there." He informed, Frank nodding and smiling in response, avidly squeezing Gerard's palm back with his glove covered hands.

_________________________________________

The two slightly shivering bodies piled into Gerard's apartment, escaping the bitter cold with their hands still interlocked, Frank seemingly enjoying that contact, as shown when they soon separated causing him to frown a little.

The older man closed the door behind them, Frank more timidly walking over to the sofa and sitting on the ledge, his spine faintly hunched. The young adult began pacing, mostly to clear his mind due to the confusion it was going through. He honestly didn't know what to think, his emotions just varied between slightly angry and absolutely puzzled.

Frank could have been hurt out there--all by himself without any sort of protection. And it would have been Gerard's fault, considering Frank came out only to see him. He ran a hand through his knotted hair, some strands just clumped and matted. Frank continued gnawing on the skin inside his mouth, sensing the severe atmosphere everything had shifted into.

"Fuck." Gerard muttered, still mindlessly walking back and forth like a windup toy.

He soon halted, turning to face the younger boy while biting on his lip.

"Frank--you can't come here at night, it's not safe." He reprimanded, viewing Frank shrink in his spot.

"But Gerard--" He whined, sounding truly like a child.

The older man put a finger in the air, trying to appear as a superior authority, despite him not being the most reliable source on what's right and wrong.

"No 'buts' Frank. I don't want you getting hurt out there." He said, gesturing to the window.

Frank scowled, his eyes narrowing.

"I'm not a baby. I can do what I want, Gee, I'll be fine. I promise." He insisted, his voice raising.

Gerard just shook his head, still keeping his stance but now with his arms crossed.

"I said no, Frank."

The younger man continued to grimace, huffing as he swung his calves.

"I'm a big boy, not a baby. If you don't want me coming, well too bad so sad, I'll do it anyways!" He remarked, adamant on the topic.

He exhaled lowly, just now deciding to use his charming and adorable looks to a full effect, he widened his doe eyes slightly, looking up with heart shaped lips in a pout.

"Please Gee....?" He asked softly, twirling his curled brown hair around his finger.

Gerard sighed, knowing full well that Frank knew where he lived now. If he came back after all these weeks, it just showed there was no way in Hell Frank wouldn't stop coming. Especially after all that effort put into arriving here. It didn't seem as if Frank would be the one to forget easily, or even stop putting up a fight until the end.

Those cute puppy dog eyes didn't help the matter either.

"Fine." He finally stated, watching Frank's expression lighten up.

He clapped his small palms together, almost cheering for his own victory. His grin spread ear to ear, Frank happy that he had won.

"Yay!" He giggled. "Thank you, Gee-Gee!"

Gerard scrunched his nose at the new nickname, finding it sickeningly adorable. He wasn't sure if he absolutely loved it or found it repulsive. Bittersweet, perhaps.

He could live with it however.

He exhaled roughly, stepping on the creaky boards in order to seat himself next to Frank, knowing he would be seeing this boy a lot more in his life from now on. He grabbed the remote from the glass coffee table, the surface murky from undefinable liquid and food. He slumped back into his seat, watching as Frank allowed his grip to falter, toppling backwards so his back hit the couch.

His head landed slightly on Gerard's clothed thigh, arms sprawled out and legs open.

"Borrrringgggggg." He chimed, sticking his tongue out at the news reporter.

Gerard chuckled, flipping through the next couple stations. It was mostly Spanish soap operas and inappropriate movies, but even then they were able to settle on a certain show.

Especially since Frank had been the one to spot it through Gerard's repetitive clicking.

There they sat, lazily relaxing on the couch while watching "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on a freezing Autumn night.

And at that moment, Gerard knew he could get used to having Frank around.

_________________________________________

He awakened to a small weight on his side, something soft wipsing against his stubble ridden chin as the constant buzz of a Tv rang within the background, almost unbearable due to his sensitive hearing. His eyes parted, groaning slightly while blinking to clear his blurred vision. A soft purr could be perceived, Gerard lolling his head towards the left only to see Frank practically lying across his chest, unruly hair sticking up in all different directions.

His lids were closed delicately, cherry lips parted as he made soft snores in his sleep, almost like a hum. Gerard shifted in his spot, turning his face in order to check the digital cable box, the numbers 9:08 being shown in fluorescent green letters. He arched his back inwards, careful so he didn't awaken the smaller boy, mostly doing the action to just stretch out his stiff muscles.

He whimpered a bit at the feeling, absent mindedly looking at the television to see some odd movie involving cartoon children wanting to make a snowman, as they repeated many times of course. He was sure Frank would love this movie since the boy seemingly liked anything involving animation as shown when him and Gerard avidly watched Frankenweenie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and many other classics the previous day.

Gerard smiled fondly at the memory, Frank continuing to nuzzle his face into Gerard's side like a kitten. The movement was absolutely adorable, especially since Frank was warm and well, the atmosphere was fucking cold. The older man made a mental note to pay the heating soon, mostly so he wouldn't have to freeze his ass off while trying to work.

Gerard adjusted his seating, placing his arm around Frank's waist since the couch was small and he honestly had no where else to put it. He sighed, judging on whether he should wait until the boy finally woke up or just do it himself. Before he could even make a decision, a soft whine interrupted his choice making process.

Gerard glanced down to see Frank just arising from his slumber, eyelashes fluttering like dark butterfly wings as he used the taller man as leverage in order to sit upwards. He lifted his slim arms to the ceiling, stretching them out as his long mop of hair just fell into his face. He didn't seem to care at the moment however, merely focusing on bending his body almost like a cat would.

He soon stopped, yawning out a quick "Good morning!" to Gerard before puffing out his cheeks, looking upwards at the bangs that had flopped into his complexion.

He giggled slightly, blowing air at it in hopes to move the locks. Gerard chuckled inwardly as the boy's attempts were futile, the curled strands merely just falling back once more.

After a minute or so of that, he finally reached over to help, brushing his spider like fingers through them, aiding the boy out as he pushed them to the side. Frank smiled as Gerard did so, huddling his knees to his chest.

"Thank you, Gee." He replied, scrunching his nose like rabbit as fewer strands continued to fall back.

Gerard laughed once more, noticing how both their attempts failed.

Frank seemed to realize the error too, joining in with Gerard.

"When you try your best and you don't succeed..." He lightly sang, finding that song to be relevant.

The younger boy's face lightened up, leaning so his arms were resting on his knee caps.

"When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep." Frank supplied, singing along with the older man.

Gerard was awestruck that he knew that song, and could actually pretty much carry a tune. It was one of the young adult's favorite songs, he just adored Coldplay, really.

"Stuck in reverseeeeeeee!" Frank continued, swerving his body around in place.

Gerard couldn't help but giggle like a little girl, Frank still moving himself in circular directions.

The teenager's attention was soon taken, their laughs dying down as he stared at the television, looking to see cartoons singing and dancing.

"I love this movie!" He exclaimed, eyes twinkling with adoration.

His lips parted into a grin, bobbing his head to the piano tune and young blonde who was beginning to sing.

"Let it gooooo! Let it gooooo!" He drawled, closing his eyes and going along with the actress's words. His lips formed the perfect 'O' voice matching the cartoon's but in a more child like tone.

Gerard watched with amusement and even some amazement, eyes flickering with interest as Frank went on to continue.

"Here I stand and here I'll stay! Let the storm rage on, the cold never bothered me anyway!" He mewled.

Gerard couldn't help but just sit there with a smile, peering at the younger boy who merely embodied pure innocence. It reminded the older man of his carefree childhood and how quickly that faded into despair. It was nice to see someone with no cares, acting childish and happy like Gerard wished he was.

Frank finished off his song, the movie shifting into another scene as the young boy tried pushing the locks that had fell into his face due to the constant head bobbing. Much to his dismay they just kept coming back, which led to Gerard getting an idea.

"Hold on, Frankie." He said in order to make the boy halt his actions. "I'll get you something for that."

Frank nodded, watching with interest as Gerard fled from the room, instead going into his bedroom, a distinct clatter being heard as he opening his dresser drawer. Objects were thrown around messily, a quick "Ah hah" being heard. Frank turned his his body to look at the hallway, only to see Gerard striding in, appearing proud while holding something in his hands.

"What's that?" Frank pondered as Gerard made his way back to the sofa, sitting down once more.

The older man blushed slightly, holding out his palm to reveal a little pink hair bow.

"It'll keep the hair out of your face. I don't have anything else that'll do the job so you're stuck with this."

Frank gasped and let out a giggle.

"It's so pretty!" He reached out to poke it, only to end up grasping it in his own hands. He fiddled with it examining from all angles, looking confused and curious.

"How does the thingy work?" He questioned.

Gerard smiled, reaching over to get it back. He leaned closer to the younger boy, tucking the locks back and opening the clip up. He pressed it under the hair, fastening it so it would stay in place.

He over exaggeratedly brushed his hands together, giving a thumbs up at Frank.

The younger boy reached up to touch it, smiling.

"I feel like a princess."

Gerard smirked at that remark.

"Well you sure look like one."

Frank continued stroking the pretty pink bow, humming under his breath as the blonde cartoon began singing again.

"Why do you have a hair thingy? I see Darlene has some but not a boy, like ever."

Gerard chuckled at the story behind the clip, finding it embarrassing yet fond. It was truly the only reason he kept that stupid bow after all these years.

"When I was younger my brother dared me to dress up like a girl to see if anyone would recognize me. He bought me the little clip and even stole our babysitter's dress." He laughed briefly, finding the memory humorous. "No one actually did realize it was me. I kept saying my name was Penny Mercury and not even the teachers really questioned it."

Frank smiled.

"That sounds like fun! You'd be a pretty girl but I like you like this. No makeup for Gee, nope."

Gerard grinned, deciding to change the topic.

"Let's go have some Cheerios, eh?"

_________________________________________

For the next few weeks it was almost guaranteed Frank would be there during four of those several days, merely hanging out as Gerard painted or making them bond over old cartoons. It was basically the most fun Gerard had in a while. The younger man brought out this unexplainable side within him, one in which he hadn't seen since childhood. It was as if a weight was lifted from his chest, as seen when all Frank had to do was smile in order to brighten up Gerard's day.

Sometimes Frank would be absolutely quiet and others he'd be talkative but never to an irritating point. It all varied, Frank basically sensing Gerard's current mood and trying to roll with it. It was nice and for once the older man felt as if he had meaning. Frank would rely on him if things got bad, which for the most part they did. Gerard would feed him when Darlene refused to, and offer a shoulder to cry on when no one would.

Despite having the occasional joint or quick swig of amber liquid, Gerard hadn't even touched those intermixed red and blue pills. Of course the older man wanted to but he just couldn't. He didn't want Frank to be exposed to that side of him, one in which was filled with depraved sickness and vomiting until his throat was sore and burning. It would put up an unwanted influence especially since he knew how he became once ingesting those capsules.

He cared too much to allow that to happen, particularly when it came to Frank. Gerard didn't want to harm the boy's innocence in anyway, merely perhibiting him to be untouched from the world.

Pure adulterated beauty that not even society could ever taint.

Frank was seemingly the only thing in this town left untouched.

While all these scoundrels resided in poverty, robbing, stealing, raping, the teenager stood out from amongst the crowd. Beautiful and kind, his soul like filtered water. It made Gerard happy to see a boy so carefree for a change.

Frank deserved that much after being hurt so deeply by the death of his parents and current guardians.

While Gerard was twenty three and on the brink of causing his liver to fail, Frank was youthful and psychically healthy. And one of the most kindest people Gerard had ever met.

It made his heart flutter to think back to the former day, the time in which Frank had found a incredibly frail Chihuahua, one with matted fur and rotting teeth. Unlike how most kids his age would react, he didn't call it ugly or throw something at the poor thing, no, he ran inside and brought it something to eat.

Although Frank had a adoration for Cheerios "It has a heart on it and that means love so I love Cheerios!" and practically devoured the box within a day or two, he gladly gave over the last couple bowl fulls to the poor animal, which he ended up naming Sweet Pea.

"She's sweet and not mean, right Gee? It she's as small as a pea, well not THAT small but small small. And that's why she's Sweet Pea!"

The dog ate it up quickly, allowing Frank to pet her (or at least they speculated it was a girl) as she crunched down on the snacks. That night they allowed the dog to dwell inside Gerard's apartment, mostly still Frank's puppy eyes had worked on him once more.

They even gave her a bath, one in which Frank added unnecessary amounts of bubbles, soaking the floor as they both giggled and gave each other foam beards. Even Sweet Pea seemed happy, the younger boy giving her a fur Mohawk.

As Gerard stroked the now clean and curly haired Sweet Pea, he basked in the fond and amazing memories, this time drinking orange juice instead of his beloved beer.

Alcohol had always been used to take away the pain in his life.

Now with nothing but happiness, he truly didn't need it.

It was no longer his lifeline.

Frank was.

_________________________________________

The pair of friends were seemingly inseparable, despite the times in which Frank was forced to go home, to both of their dismays. He sometimes worried that every time Frank left it would be the last he'd ever see of them. From the mentally abusive caretakers to walking around at night without any protection. It wasn't the best situation but there wasn't anything Gerard could do about it.

If he told the police Frank would be put into foster care, cursed with an even worse life. Gerard had lived through that process, switching groups homes and being put into even unimaginable poverty. Methheads gaining custody of children, only to take their money and use it on their precious drugs. Even if Gerard did say, who would believe him?

The former addict who at times hangs out with the boy versus a rich and seemingly perfect family in Marlboro. They looked like saints while he was nothing but a rat. Onto the topic of Frank traveling alone at night, well, there was nothing he could do about that either. He knew the teenager would never stop visiting, especially since he was now emotionally attached to Gerard. It's not that Gerard didn't enjoy Frank's company, it's just he didn't want him becoming harmed.

Despite him claiming to be a "big boy" Gerard knew he could easily be hurt out there. His tiny and dainty stature making him a perfect pick for any rapist out there, even though he wasn't a girl, he looked close enough. Some may even be able to tell his family was wealthy, hold a ransom, steal his clothing, basically anything. Gerard knew it wasn't just paranoia filling his desolate mind, it was fact.

He was surprised Frank had gotten here safely during this time anyways.

As the weeks past and Frank's visits were plentiful, Gerard could tell his parents never noticed, either that or they just never cared. He didn't understand why two people would opt to care for a mentally ill child yet never even stop to protect him, or even go to the extent of abuse. It made the bile rise in his throat, the situation just that sickening.

He didn't know if they were blood related or just some random people who took him in--either way he didn't really give a shit. Being somehow connected to Frank by family would just make everything seem more cruel. Treating your niece, grandchild, whatever as merely a animal? Those people were obviously fucked in the head, even a person such as Gerard could tell.

As the two grew closer the only thing Gerard wanted to was protect him from the ugly place known as this world, the planet we inhabited and destroyed. He wanted to save Frank from the severe society, any antagonists who would judge the boy over the illness he couldn't help but have.

They were friends.

And that's what friends do.

_________________________________________

"Gee-Gee I'm homeeeeeeee!" Frank sang using his signature greeting, prancing through the door.

The older man couldn't help but chuckle, remembering the time in which he had caught Frank watching reruns of I Love Lucy, going on to quote it and even make it his own. He craned his head over towards the area the teenager was in, closing the door with a soft click and skipping his way over to the kitchen, cheeks tinted pink. Gerard continued pouring his coffee, the already sugar filled cup dissolving under the liquid's temperature.

Frank waited idly by, knowingly not wanting to hug Gerard while he had scorching hot liquid in his hands. The older man smiled lightly, stirring his coffee quickly with a straw and engulfing Frank into a embrace, his arms wrapped around the younger's waist. The teenager was always a touchy feely kind of kid, seemingly wanting the attention he never got during his adolescence.

He nuzzled his face into Gerard's chest, enjoying the warmth that was radiating off of both of them. His short arm's came around the taller man's back, squeezing gently as they just stood there, basking in each other's company.

"I missed you..." Frank murmured, his face muffled by the cloth of Gerard's shirt. He pulled his chin up slightly, looking at the older man with large amber eyes.

Gerard laughed.

"You just saw me yesterday, though!"

Frank pulled away, decidedly pulling his body up onto the lime tinted counters, swinging his legs back and forth as he made sure not to knock over the coffee.

"Nope. That's too long, way way too long."

Gerard grinned, walking over to grasp his mug and press it into the crease of his lips, sipping in the brown fluid as if it were his lifeline. Frank hummed under his breath, making small popping noises with his mouth to some undecided tune. Gerard downed his drink within seconds, doing that pleasurable "ah" sound as it slid down his throat, burning only slightly.

The moments passed in silence, not an awkward one but comfortable, as all their quiet times were. Gerard enjoyed how they could be so close to one another, to the point where nothing was truly timid anymore.

"Darlene and John left today." Frank remarked with a soft tone, watching as Gerard spluttered with his drink, watching with concerned eyes.

"Are you okay?!" He squeaked, watching as Gerard placed the coffee down harshly, the liquid leaning over the rim. He coughed, hacking almost before wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, trying not to jump to conclusions.

"What do you mean left? Like left, left?"

Frank gnawed on his bottom lip.

"They went to Maine for week, starting today. They say I'll be fine but I don't like being alone, no, Frankie doesn't like to be alone."

Gerard let out a sigh of relief, knowing before he had thought they left for real. He couldn't lose Frank, not like that of course. Regardless of the ending he jumped to, Gerard couldn't even comprehend the fact that they left a mentally ill boy home alone for seven days, vacationing and being carefree while he could have easily burnt the goddamn house down.

He sighed.

"Well I'm not going to let you be alone. You can stay with me, okay?" Gerard said with a weary smile, watching as Frank's face brightened up, a large smile forming.

He lunged forward for another hug, curling his arms around Gerard's neck as he pulled him forward, the older man fumbling over.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank youuu!" He cheered, Gerard forced to go inbetween the space in Frank's legs. He embraced back of course, burying his face in the younger boy's neck, the counter giving him an elevated stature.

"It's no problem, Frankie."

He pulled away, Frank absent mindedly brushing Gerard's long fringe away.

"Now let's go watch some movies, okay?"

_________________________________________

The next few days were pretty uneventful, just two friends hanging out and laughing over the silliest of things. They made each other whole, almost like a singular happy entity. Despite Frank's illness and Gerard's past substance abuse, things were seemingly perfect. The older man was working his ass off painting and it was nice to have a relief once in a while, a time to just relax and be happy, like it was meant to be.

Despite having to sleep on the lumpy sofa, he truly didn't mind Frank's visits, Hell, he adored them.

It was 5 AM on a somewhat dreary Wednesday, rain falling from the Heavens and making that lovely pitter patter sound against buildings and windows, condensation fogging the glass. His brush stroked across the page delicately, a white tiger being painted due to request. Piercing cerulean eyes stood out from amongst the colorless portrait, fierce and intense, almost as if it were real.

What was formerly brown was now tinted a light baby blue, the bristles stained from mixed acrylic. He hummed lowly under his breath, feeling slightly tired but unable to sleep.

Insomnia, what a terrible little thing. He thought, internally scoffing.

His concentration was focused on his painting, face slightly grimaced with lips parted, moving in different patterns across the canvas, a coffee grain colored arch tilting it upwards.

The soft tap of feet could be perceived, floorboards creaking in discomfort but he paid no mind to it, merely putting his effort into the animal in front of him.

"Gee...?" A small voice said.

The older man turned his body slightly, standing with the brush inbetween his fingers. Frank was perched in the archway to the hallway, a oversized 'Fall Out Boy' shirt trailing down to his upper thighs, chocolate hued hair sticking up in odd directions as he rubbed his eyes using balled fists.

"What are you doing up?" Gerard asked, a little bit puzzled to why he was awake at this early time.

Frank shrugged lazily, daintily stepping over and pacing over to the love seat. He laid his body down onto the substance, positioned so his back was laying on it, slightly arched as he leaned his head over the ledge, upside down almost. His eyes glimmered with interest as he gazed at Gerard's work, adoring what he viewed. Gerard felt puzzled, as his expression surely showed. Frank pulled his knees upwards, almost sprawled out on the vintage sofa.

"Can I see you paint?" He questioned with a light tone, not acknowledging Gerard's question.

Frank had always loved to watch Gerard work and usually that's what occurred every time. But due to lack of sleep and boredom he just decided to get it over with, despite Frank sleeping.

Gerard gave a insecure smile, biting on his lower lip.

"Uh, sure, okay." He responded, Frank sluggishly grinning in the background as the young adult faced his art once more.

Disregarding his current audience, he continued his process of stroking the bristles across the page, swirling in intricate ways and dabbing bright color where it was needed, shading with gray and adding black stripes for contrast. Frank observed without a word, intrigued and seemingly adoring the things he was viewing.

Tints mixed together like watercolors, blending easily despite the paste being too thick. The paint wasn't of a very high quality but even then Gerard made it appear as if it was, fluently flicking his brush around with ease and skill. He was the best at what he did, although he was self practiced.

Overtime he became absorbed into his work as he was before, pressing more blue into the narrowed eyes of the feral beast and adding a mixture of white and red for lightly tinted ears, with fur added onto it.

He didn't noticed when the couch shifted, or the footsteps that trailed behind. The art took over his mind, the constant flicker of a hue being noted instead of the atmosphere around him. An added pressure built on his torso, causing the abrupt stop to his work.

He froze, eyes darting around to see Frank sliding over to him, confidence riddling his complexion as Gerard looked completely confused. The younger boy nuzzled his way under Gerard's free forearm, causing it to be draped over his shoulder as the man stood transfixed in spot, paintbrush dangling in his grasp.

The teenager got on his tippy toes, momentarily rubbing his face into Gerard's neck, almost like a cat would. His hot breath fanned across the other's face, smooth alabaster skin touching Gerard's pulse. His bow lips were pouted, looking nervous yet sure of himself.

"I really really like you..." He whispered, voice soft as silk. Delicate, almost like precious china.

Gerard's breathing halted, heart skipping a beat as his eyes widened, Frank's small body under his dead arm.

The teenager leaned up as much as he could with his stature of 5'3 against a man 7 inches taller. He pecked the corner of Gerard's mouth, light pink lips pressed against red. Frank's lips were almost like satin, his face rid of any sort of stubble, like a girl but beautifully different. It felt nice against Gerard's light shadow of hair, the whole thing innocent but passionate, as if Frank truly meant his words.

He kept his mouth there for a few moments, finally shortening to his true height and looking up with doe eyes at a shocked Gerard. He wrapped his arms around the older man's waist, face riddled with a blush as one even creeped up on Gerard, cheeks turning red and warm.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me..." Frank murmured, meaning them as he said.

Gerard only stood frozen, startled but blessed with a fluttering in his stomach, one he knew all too well. He couldn't help but feel this way, despite fearing the consequences that were to come from this.

Frank soon let go, smiling with a closed grin before timidly walking his way back to the bedroom, blushing madly as Gerard's paintbrush clattered to the floor, face flushed and tummy filled with a bizarre sensation.

_________________________________________

On top of his troubling insomnia, notions went insane inside the labyrinth known as his mind, unable to process a thought or even sleep like a normal person would at that time. He couldn't comprehend why Frank would do that or even the more troubling fact that he enjoyed it. The whole situation was wrong, especially since Frank was underaged on top of his already existent mental problem, although Gerard didn't know it's formal title.

He sighed, burying his face into the palms of his hands, back hunched on the sofa at 9 AM. Black locks hung into his face, concealing his worried expression.

Age speaking they were around 6 years apart, but their mentalities were practically a decade apart.

The boy wouldn't be able to handle a relationship on top of his already difficult life, Gerard knew that as much. Society would be cruel, judgmental against the two of them. Surely making Gerard out to be some sort of pedophilic individual, even though he didn't like Frank for his age or body.

Gerard never put much thought into this during the past, mostly since he classified feeling that way as wrong. Now just realizing his true feelings made him sick and overall nervous, as if he would serve as the final blow towards Frank's shattered psyche.

He truly didn't know if the boy would be able to handle the pressure of it all.

It wasn't just a matter of feeling the same way, it was illegal and against his morals. As if he were going to somehow unintentionally take advantage of the teenager. He didn't want to hurt Frank in any way, that's the last thing Gerard would ever yearn to do.

He exhaled, just know taking note of the soft tapping of bare feet leading into the living room.

He didn't look up, he couldn't.

"Gee...?" Frank called out with a small voice.

He didn't respond.

"Gee?"

He /couldn't/ respond.

"Gerard?"

Silence that not even a knife could puncture.

He could perceive as the younger boy's voice turned frail, shuddering lightly as he spoke.

"Gee please! Talk to me." Frank whimpered, gaining no response.

His head stayed where it was, never talking, never looking up.

He could feel a pressure growing on his side, the couch shifting as the scratchy cushions rubbed up on Frank's bare legs, shorts only covering his upper thighs. Arms fell against Gerard's shoulders, the smaller boy's face pressed up against him, silent tears slipping down.

"I'm sorry....I'm sorry..." He whispered, shaking his head.

Gerard couldn't bear to see the one he cared so much for cry, pain and anguish instead of happiness, especially knowing he was the one who caused it. They sat their with a suffocating atmosphere, soft sobs being heard.

"We--we can't be together, Frank." Gerard said suddenly, swallowing thickly as if he was choking down cough syrup.

Frank took his concealed head away, gazing up at Gerard with glassy eyes, irises fading in hue, looking almost like a toffee chip.

"Why? D-D-Don't you like me?" He stuttered, his voice wrecked.

Gerard sighed, not knowing what to say, although the answer to Frank's question was undoubtedly "yes".

His emotions regarding Frank were never carnal or filthy, it was the kind of adoration that yearned to protect, to express--dare I say--love in the most innocent of ways. He never wanted to potentially harm Frank, even though his heart was telling him to blossom a relationship between the two.

A choice resided inside his mind, to follow his heart or to listen to his brain, a complicated choice.

Together as one was how they felt happiest, almost as if....it were meant to be.

Gerard turned his face, finally gazing at Frank with saddened eyes.

"I do...I do Frank, I do." He admitted, their foreheads touching.

Frank gulped.

"Why can't we be together then....?" He asked in a naive tone of voice, insecure, really.

Gerard looked up through his lashes, finally telling the truth for once, to escape the lies he was sheltering himself in.

"I'm scared."

Frank furrowed his eyebrows.

"Of what?" He said lowly.

Gerard clasped their hands together, rubbing his thumb over the knuckles and treating Frank as if he were made of glass, simply admiring his beauty.

"Hurting you....Having this all go bad...."

Frank pouted his lips, kissing the side of Gerard's face, right where a shaving nick resided. He soon pulled away, his mouth not lingering for too long. A tingling sensation drifted from the area he pecked, Frank decidedly resting his chin on the older man's shoulder, being eventually pulled onto his lap. Arms wrapped around him, making them both feel safe and cared for, as they always did during their shared embraces.

"I'll be okay..." Frank assured. "We'll be okay...."

_________________________________________

Once realizing their feelings were shared, it kind of forced them to come to terms with the serious situation they were in. Even Frank could see what he was getting into, despite his childish mindset. They were taking a big risk doing this, being together, sharing their adoration.

It had been odd for the two men to openly express their equal outlooks on each other, but even then it felt quite relieving, mostly since they wouldn't have to live inside a lie anymore. Even then neither of them truly knew how to handle the relationship. Gerard had of course been with women before, even males, but never someone like Frank. He didn't want to push the teenager into something he didn't want to do, they had to be careful, extremely so.

He couldn't bear to see the boy getting stuck in a potential crossfire, Gerard cared too much to allow that of course. It was the start of a foreign relationship, one in which would be the most troubling thing either of them would ever have to encounter. But even then Gerard had faith that it would all work out, despite Frank's illness, despite his past substance abuse.

The pair had kissed only a few times by now, becoming more involved than their first kiss had been. Frank was always the one inflicting it, to which Gerard avidly joined in. The older man was too afraid of taking advantage of Frank, which was the last thing he ever wanted to accomplish. Their friendship was escalating now, turning into something much, much more beautiful than they could ever imagine.

As their bodies would be entwined, Gerard holding Frank to his firm chest, the lumpy couch long abandoned as they relaxed in bed together, it all felt right, as if life would be amazing from now on.

Their hands fit perfectly together as if they were matching pieces in a puzzle. Although it felt too soon to say, Gerard was experiencing the greatest emotion he ever could.

He could tell it would blend easily into love.

_________________________________________

The days passed, Wednesday turning to Thursday and Thursday turning to Sunday, the time in which Frank would have to head back home after his week long stay. Their current position was comfortable, Frank curled onto Gerard's lap, head nuzzled in the corner of his neck, dark brown hair contrasting against light skin so beautifully. Gerard's arms supported the younger boy's body, arms enveloped around his waist and holding him close.

Frank sat in between the older man's legs, having a lazy moment as they watched Looney Tunes up on the screen. Frank yawned, the sound adorable and minuscule as he absent mindedly buried his head deeper. Gerard smiled, holding the smaller boy closer, Frank's back pressed against his chest.

The sat there for a moment before either of them spoke, Frank closing his mouth and then slightly opening it.

"Do you think we'll be able to be together...? I don't want to lose you.." Frank asked quietly, knowing how he had to leave today.

Gerard gave a saddened smile, decidedly leaning over and pressing his mouth to Frank's, the teenager joining in excitedly. Both of their eyes fluttered shut, dark lashes almost like butterfly wings against their cheeks. They rocked backwards slightly, Gerard leaning more on the sofa. He couldn't believe this angel was actually his, it all just felt...surreal.

The two opposites worked against each other, Gerard's hands resting on Frank's upper back as they kissed with passion, keeping it innocent and just for the sake of conveying their adoration. The older man could feel his cheeks burning up, the pair soon separating and panting slightly.

"I do, Frank. I do." He answered, foreheads touching.

Frank pecked his lips once more, almost experimentally.

"Good." He giggled.

_________________________________________

From then on they pair stayed together, through thick and thin, even when Darlene kicked Frank out into the street a week after his 18th birthday. Gerard was always there for him and so was Frank. The teenager saved him from a detrimental relapse, coddling the older man and assuring everything would be alright.

Despite being under society's judgmental gaze, life turned out to be amazing, for the two of them as one.

Soon Gerard was able to move away from that wretched town, taking his lover out of harm's way and instead bringing them to live in Bayonne, a family oriented town in Northern New Jersey. The people were kind, understanding of their relationship even though some found it to be disgusting.

As long as they were happy, it never really mattered to them. Gerard continued to paint, along with receiving a office job where he worked early hours, coming back home in time to be with his boyfriend who soon became his fiance and well...husband.

During their time together they were able to love each other in every way possible, conveying the emotion with happiness riddling their veins. Gerard knew he made the right choice going with the boy he absolutely adored.

His whole life he thought he was destined to be headfirst for halos, dying from the intermixed blue and red pills. And if that didn't happen he knew soon enough he'd blow his brains out against the ceiling, ending his tragic life in a tragic way.

But with Frank by his side, the only lifeline he truly needed, he knew this existence would be amazing from now on.

And he was completely right.

Think happy thoughts.

~Fin~

_________________________________________
♠ ♠ ♠
This was made for a contest being held on Wattpad.

I was given a song and told to run with it. This is what I came up with.

I hope you enjoyed, it took me some time to finish and although this had been written ages ago, I still feel quite proud in it.

Leave a comment or whatever, it means more than you'd ever think.

Peace, love, and misdemeanors,

- Rorschach