Shoot 'Em Up, Yeah.

Better Off As Lovers

Chuck and I had been best friends since junior high. I still remember the first day he talked to me; it was sort of random...

We were in the seventh grade and having same classes together but we never talked. We were having chemistry lesson and he sat next to me. I can tell he really loved mixing the liquids; his face told it all. Glad he could hold his excitement.

"Do you know I have a band?" he suddenly, randomly said.

I looked at him and confusedly replied, "Sorry?"

"Band, me, do you know it?"

I shook my head.

He sighed and opened his googles.

"Do you know opening your googles during the activity is prohibited?" I asked.

He turned to me and answered, "Yes, I do know. Thank you for reminding."

He put back on the googles and looked at the liquid on a bunsen burner that was heating up.

"What other liquid should I mix?" he asked.

"Wait for the teacher's instruction, Comeau."

"Please just call me Chuck."

"Okay, Chuck."

"And can I call you Amber?"

I looked at him confusedly and asked, "How'd you know my name? We never talked, never had an eye contact, I never answer the teachers' questions and the teachers never choose me to answer their questions."

"You're interesting somehow," he answered and looked to the teacher in front. "Besides, we always have the same classes."


And we're best friends since that random conversation. We're pretty random, so don't get confused when we suddenly change the subject of conversation into something else that is more unimportant than the previous one.

Time runs so fast, I don't realize we're 28 now. He's busy with his band and I'm okay with that; I understand his condition.

"You understand, or you try to understand?" Demi, my other best friend, says.

I sigh. "Demi, you know he's really busy. He's in Europe right now for tour."

"But he can call you or IM you. He's not that busy."

"Yeah well, maybe he's tired," I say and drink my iced tea.

"Or he has a new girlfriend."

I choke on my drink and whine, "How could you say that?"

"Of course I could; I have my own opinion and estimation."

"Your opinion and estimation should have something to do to cheer your best friend up."

"At least I am honest."

"Too honest."

---

Today Chuck and his band mates are back in Montreal. Demi and I are in doing some random stuff at home while we're waiting for them to visit us; they always visit us first after touring before they go back to their houses.

We're all neighbors: Demi and I live together. Chuck lives with Pierre and Sebastien next to our house. David and Jeff live next to our house, so our house is between Chuck's and David's house.

Even though Demi and Sebastien are dating for nearly 2 years, Demi doesn't want to live with him. She never ever wants to live with a guy although if he's her boyfriend; she's afraid something might happen.

After 30 minutes we're talking about how thin models are these days, relationships between celebrities... well, mostly gossiping. We heard someone knock the front door, and we're really sure it is them. Demi stands up from her seat and opens the door.

"Demi!" I heard Sebastien's voice.

"Oh I really missed you," Demi says and they hug each other.

"Yeah well, stop hugging; we want to come in and see Amber," Pierre said.

"Um..." Demi says, "Amber's not here."

I rush behind the sofa and sit down. Did I mention that we're planning to pull prank on them, pretending I'm not home?

"What do you mean she's not here?" I heard Jeff asks.

"She's been gone few weeks ago and hasn't came back."

I try really hard to control my laughter because I can imagine how their faces are; I can't peek from the sofa. Plus, Demi is really good at acting. She was chosen to be a main character for a high school drama 12 years ago.

"Where is she?" David asked.

"I... don't know."

"She doesn't leave any message, or try to call you?" Chuck asks; he's the one who sounds the most concerned.

"Why should she?" Demi replies.

"You're a really weird best friend of her," Sebastien comments her.

"No, I mean, why should she try to contact me while she's hiding behind the sofa?" Amber says and starts to laugh.

I join her laughing and stand up from behind the sofa. Their mouth are hanging open.

"You are in great danger, Amber!" Chuck shouts and attacks me with a big hug.

"I miss you too Chuck," I say and hug him back.

"Aww," they all say, looking at us.

"I wonder when will they get married?" Pierre asks.

"Speaking of marriage," Chuck says, releasing the hug. "Do you still keep the ring?"

"Of course," I answer, taking a ring from my pocket. "I never wear it until you propose me properly."

I never told you this, but Chuck and I are dating for almost 3 years. He gave me the ring before he left for tour to Europe. He didn't propose me though. He only said, "I promise you will wear a wedding gown and stand next to me someday after we are back from the tour."

"What are you waiting for, Chuck?" Sebastian shouts. "Propose her! Ask her to marry you!"

The others cheer really loud and Chuck shouts, "Okay, okay! Shut up!"

"Shut up, shut up, shut up, don't wanna hear you," Pierre suddenly sings.

David nudges him in the arm, telling him to shut up.

Chuck takes the ring from my hand and says, "Amber, would you change your surname into Comeau, for me, for our love? Will you be by my side for the eternity? Will you marry me?"

I nod and say, "I would change my surname into Comeau, for you and our love. I'll be by your side for the eternity. I'll marry you because I love you."

We both smile as he slides the ring into my left third finger.

"Where's yours?" I ask.

He takes out his left hand and shows me his third finger that already wears a ring.

"I wear it already because I knew you will marry me," he grins.

"Chuuuck," I whine.

He's always over confident, always. But the way he shows it is adorable.

"Yeah well, I love you too," he says as he leans closer and kisses me.

"Aww," the others say.

We smile happily and look at them.I almost forgot they are here.

"Congratulations!" Demi says and hugs me and Chuck.

The others join and it makes a huge group hug. Well, not that huge actually.

"Now I'm wondering when will Sebastien propose Demi," Chuck teases after they release the hug.

Sebastien and Demi's faces turned red. The others join teasing both of them, making their faces turn brighter red.

"I-- I will!" Sebastien shouts. "Someday..." he says shyly, looking away from Demi.

Demi only looks at him with her mouth hung open.

"What?" Sebastien says, looking at her. "You don't want it?"

Demi shakes her head and smiles.

"Ooh la la," I say, "Looks like somebody will going to be engaged."

Chuck Comeau, drummer of Simple Plan, was married with his junior high school best friend Amber Trevory at a hotel in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on 29th of May 2008. His band mate Sebastien Lefebvre is married at the same time, at the same place with his 2 years girlfriend Demi Carlson.

Let's congratulate and wish them a happy new life.
- Kerrang! Magazine June 2008
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah i know the ending sucked. i'm not good at endings.