Beauty and the Beast

Of Answers and Anger

"What do you mean, you're suspending him indefinitely?" I looked away from the window I had previously been staring vacantly out, Belle's almost-shriek pulling me out of my stupor. Who knew that melting snow could be so entertaining?
And who knew that focusing on mundane things such as the melting of snow could keep you from having a complete hissy fit.
And though the thought of me throwing a hissy fit kind of makes me feel like a three year-old, I feel like this situation definitely warrants one.
I had woken up today with the strangest feeling. It was something I had not felt in a really, really long time, and it took me a while to actually put a name to the odd warmth in my stomach.
I was happy. Like, really, really happy.
I, Ryan Benson Tier, am going to prom with Isabelle Paige.
My screech of pure, unadultered glee had made Lenny and David come barrelling into my room. My state of undress had all of us stuttering and stumbling idiots.
But I don't care, because I am going to prom with Belle. Or, I was. Until we got to school, and Dr. Wise popped that little bubble of happiness with the first words out of his mouth.
"I'm sorry, Mr. Tier. Truly, I am sorry. But new evidence was brought to light concerning the assault on Alan Kennedy. Evidence that you had something to do with it."
I was stunned into silence. Flabbergasted. Comepletely and utterly numb.
But not Belle.
Belle was pissed.Like flames shooting out of her eyes and frothing at the mouth kind of pissed. She was fuming. Yelling at the top of her lungs at our principal. Hammering him with questions I myself should be asking.
Dr. Wise looked at her over the top of his glasses. "Miss Paige, please keep your voice down, or I will ask you to leave my office?"
So she sat there, silent.
And so did I.
"Ryan." She hissed. "Why, for the love of God, are you just sitting there?"
I squirmed under her glare. Damn. I really couldn't say why. Not without the question of why they would believe a stupid letter over me. Or why would it not surprise anyone. Or why it would hurt so much.
She narrowed her eyes at me, and I looked away from her.
I've never seen her like this, and to tell you the truth, she's kind of scary when she is mad. I know I would have been squirming in my seat like a little girl.
She was fuming. She had yelled at the top of her lungs at our principal. Hammered him with questions I myself should be asking.
Apparently, our principal is made of sterner stuff than that.
He just sat there, with his glasses perched on his nose, calmly informing me that I would be escorted off the campus, where I would not be allowed to step foot on for the remainder of the year.
What a crappy way to start the last semester of my high school career.
I know I should be just as indignant as Belle, probably even more so, as it is my High School diploma on the line, but all I could muster was indifference.
If my own high school didn't care what happens to me, why should I?
"Mr. Tier?"
I looked away from Belle, who was glaring daggers at me. "Dr. Wise."
He sighed, and sat back in his chair. "I want it to be known that I don't think you had anything to do with this, but as the principal, I can't let this evidence slid. I have to do this."
"Go for it." I gritted out.
"Ryan!"
I ignored Belle, and stood up. "What? It's not like it's much of a stretch. Everyone knows I'm capable of beating up some stupid freshman. Everyone knows I'm unstable, crazy even. How does this not surprise you, Isabelle?"
She looked like she wanted to slap me, she looked like she wanted to cry.
Dr. Wise just looked sad. "Mr. Tier..."
I walked over to the window I had just been staring out of. People were milling around, trying to grasp those last few moments of freedom till the bell rang, signaling the return of homework, stress, and tests. Normal things people usually worry about during high school.
Being suspected of assault is a new one for me, though.
God, nothing made me want to beat someone up more than being accused of actually doing it. Not a freshman though... someone who actually deserved it. Like Garreth.
Bastard.
"Ryan..." Belle's hand was warm, gentle as she laid it on my shoulder. It was comforting. I put my hand over her's and gave it a slight squeeze.
"It's okay, Belle."
Her eye's were suspiciously shiny, and I'm almost positive that if she started crying I would break something. Hell, I might even cry myself.
Distract yourself, Tier. Distract yourself. "How can I graduate?"
Dr. Wise cleared his throat as he gestured for us to sit back down. Belle sat down, but I stood.
"You can't."
"What?" Belle and I both exploded at the same time.
"What do you mean?" She demanded, shoving her finger in his face. "You're just going to abandon him, going to give up on him?"
"Miss Paige, really--"
"No." I interupted him. "She's right. I've worked so hard this year. I've pulled all of my grades up to B's and C's. I've worked so hard..." I stopped talking when my voice cracked. How embarrassing...
"Please, Dr. Wise... Isn't there anything...?"
Dr. Wise just sat there, like I hadn't just thrown myself on the line, like I hadn't almost started crying.
Jesus, major therapy will ensue.
"Well, maybe there is a solution." He smiled. "It just depends on you, Miss Paige."

"Belle, I can't let you do this."
"Shut up, Ryan."
"Seriously, you're giving up your whole Senior year for me. Come on, Belle, this is stupid. Belle. Belle! Damn it." I hissed as she walked away, completely ignoring me.
How strange my day had been. I've been accused of a crime I didn't commit. Suspended indefinitely. And now I'm saddled with a live in tutor. A very kind, smart, and beautiful tutor.
Isabelle Paige.
The girl who was giving up her life for me.
OK. So, it's not as dramatic as that. Well, maybe in a sense it is. You see, Dr. Wise's amazing idea was to bring the school to me. Permanently. As in, make Belle tutor me at home for the rest of the year. As in making her miss her last semester in high school, prom, and so much more.
I felt like scum.
But Belle being Belle would hear nothing of my misgivings. Hell, she practically screamed at me when I tried to talk her out of it. She almost hit me, too.
The girl is nuts.
"Mr. Tier?" Mrs. Angela came out of the living room, confusion written all over her face. "You're home early. Why?"
"I was suspended." Why did I sound so gleeful about it?
Her face went slack with shock. I would have laughed if I wasn't so pissed. She had been cleaning, if the dirty rag clutched in her hand, and the lingering smell of cleaning products in the air was any indication.
Man, I could actually help out with cleaning now that I don't have to go to school.
And how depressing is that.
"Sus...suspended?" She sat down. "Again."
I sat down too. "Yeah."
"But it wasn't his fault." Belle appeared out of nowhere, and she leaned against the doorjamb as she gave me a level stare. "It is completely and utterly riddiculous. Some jerk-off slipped a letter under the principal's door, claiming that Ryan beat this poor kid up. And--" I held up my hand, cutting Belle off in the middle of what was turning out to be her favorite rant.
"Cliffnote version. I am suspended indefinitely. Belle is living with us for the rest of the year. She's going to tutor me and help me graduate. She," I said angrily, "is giving up her whole life for this."
The 'she' in question rolled her eyes at me. "He's being dramatic."
I stood up and rounded on her. "Dramatic? Dramatic! Really. Well, excuse the HELL out of me for caring that your going to miss out on so much. God, Belle. What about prom?"
"What about it?" She sounded bored as she lazily walked to the couch and sat down. I could hear Chip tearing through the house, screaming at the top of his lungs as the dogs chased him, barking their asses off. I could see Lenny and David outside, throwing snow at each other, probably having another arguement. And she just sat there, looking up at me expectantly.
She has the prettiest eyes.
All these things, God, all these things made it hard for me to be mad.
"Damn." I groaned as I sank to the ground, and put my head in my hands. "I wanted to take you to prom."
I felt her more than saw her move. One minute she was sitting on the couch, and the next she was sliding down next to me and wrapping her arms around me. "Oh, Ryan. We can still have a prom. Just the two of us. Here. Right, Mrs. Angela?"
The resulting shriek had both Belle and I jumping. "What the--?"
"Oh, Belle." Mrs. Angela yanked Belle up and dragged her away. "This is going to be so much fun. We have to go find a dress for you. And decorations. Music. Food. A suit for Mr. Tier. When shall I have this planned for, Mr. Tier?"
Belle's eyes sparkled as I met them. I couldn't help the grin that broke over my face, or my answer. "Tonight."
♠ ♠ ♠
New Chapter! Yay!! Next one will be the famous "Ball". I can't wait!! <3 you all!