Beauty and the Beast

Of Demands and Detentions

Ryan's POV

How the hell am I supposed to get someone to tutor me for the whole freaking year, everyday, in every subject? I mean, no one would want to do that period, but for them to do it for me? It’d be easier for me to jump to the moon wearing lead shoes.
This was starting to look mighty bad for me. Really, really bad. For the first time, in a long, long time, I felt the sneaky fingers of apprehension grip my heart. I couldn't be expelled again.
I walked out of the principal’s office to go to my next class. Nervousness took a back burner to anger, as I glanced at each person as I passed, I noticed something.
No one looked at me. Or if they did it was to give me either a evil look, or a “please-don’t-eat-me look”. The whispers followed me as I walked through the halls.
“He tried to eat Garreth!”
“Maybe his dad banged a wolf or something, that’s why he’s so…beastly.”
My, my how original. People think because of my somewhat unpleasant appearance, and somewhat less-than-sunny disposition that I’m some half man, half wolf. Or maybe they just think I’m a jerk. A “beastly” jerk. Screw them. I don’t need them, nor care what they think.
But as the thought crossed my mind, a small seed of hurt grew in my stomach, pissing me off even more. I haven't done anything to them, not one thing, and they treat me like this....
“Hey, Tier, how do you like your meat?” A boy called as I hurried by him. I saw my salvation, in the form of my next class loom in front of me. Trying to reach the door before I hit someone else, and get in even more trouble, I fisted my hands in my pocket so they wouldn’t reach out and slam into someone’s face.
“Raw?” Another boy answered him. I visualized slamming his head into his locker, over and over again.
“Eww!” Cried the girl next to him. I slammed through the door, thankful for peace at last.
18 pairs of eyes blinked at me. I blinked back.
“Mr. Tier, how lovely of you to finally join us.” Mr. Cooper said, sarcastically. “Sit down, boy.”
I blushed, and muttered a “sorry”, as laughter rang out through the classroom.
“That’s a good boy.” Someone whispered. More laughter came, and I sat down in the back, bowing my head. Don’t do something stupid. Don’t do something stupid. Don’t do something stupid.
“Does the Beast want a treat?” The girl next to me asked, quietly of course, so Cooper wouldn’t hear her.
“Does little girl want to get eaten?” I asked her nastily, and quite loudly. A couple of people gasped, and Cooper turned around slowly. So slowly in fact that it seemed like years had passed by the time he fully faced me.
“What was that, Mr. Tier?”
“I asked her if she wanted to get eaten.” I told him, disregarding my previous mantra of not doing anything stupid. Talking back to a teacher is probably extremely stupid. But I was having a crappy day, and couldn’t bring myself to care.
“You asked----“ He faltered a bit and I glowered at him. Just for the sake of glowering.
“So what?”
“Get out of my class, Mr. Tier.” He told him after a bit of floundering on his part. The girl I “attacked” gave me an affronted look, and went back to whispering with her friends.
“With pleasure, sir.” I got up, grabbed the detention slip he had angrily written out, and slammed back out of the room.
Wow, what a great waste of 15 minutes of my life. I snarled at anyone who dared to look at me as I made my way to the library. Detention sucks, but being stuck in that room with all those people sucked a lot more. So, I decided to go with the lesser of two evils.
“Detention again, Ryan?” I looked up at the librarian Miss Detovenares.
“What does it look like?” I snapped. I really hate school. I really hate pretty much everything at the moment. Life. School. People in general. It seemed every bad thing possible that could happen today, happened. Like this whole day was orchestrated by the devil or something. I scowled, just because it seemed like a necessary look for my dark thoughts.
“Like you're in detention.” She replied calmly. This lady is crazy. She sat there, a serene smile on her face, talking to me like I'm not one of the most feared guys in the school. No one talks to me, unless they're forced to. Yet, here she was, trying to hold a civilized conversation with me.
“Duh?” I was never good with being civilized.
She merely smiled at my what seemed to be permanent scowl and somewhat rude retort, and pointed to an empty seat. I stalked over and sat down heavily, dropping my books on the table, giving a satisfied grunt at the loud bang. Smirking as a few people glared at my unnecessary noise, I looked back to Miss Detovenares to see what she wanted me to do. She was looking over my shoulder, and I followed her gaze.
“Ah, Phillip, Maurice. Just in time.”
“Hello, Miss Detovenares!” I watched as a short fat kid walked up to the librarian and gave her a brief hug. Loser. I shook my head, and went back to sulking.
“Give me a few seconds Maurice, I’ll be right back.” The other kid with Maurice trotted off and Miss Detovenares followed him through the door. Leaving me alone with this geek, and with nothing to do but sit here with my thumb up my--
“Your Ryan Tier, right?” A quiet, scared voice asked. My thoughts fully interrupted I looked up to see Maurice standing not quite next to me, but close enough for us to have a conversation.
“Yeah, why?”
“Um… No reason.” He started to walk away, when it hit me. He’s in the library on his own accord, he’s friends with the librarian, he’s nerdy looking. This kid has got to be smart! He can be my tutor! I mean, he talked to me, sort of. He’d have no problem tutoring me.
“Wait!” I called out to him, ignoring the people’s complaining. “Come back here.”
He gave me a panicked, frantic, wide-eyed look, but he still walked over to me. Dragging his feet, having the overall appearance of some one who was about to take a run for it, he sat down in the chair I gestured to. “Yes?”
“Wanna be my tutor?”
“You-I-what?!”
“Perfect, come on.”
“What?” He said, but following me as I yanked him towards the door. “Where are we going?”
“You’re going to be my tutor for the next year. Everyday we’ll get to see each other. You’ll tutor me in every subject. Sound like fun?”
“Yes. No. Wait.” I ignored his stammered protests and dragged him to the principal’s office. I knocked once, and opened it as Wise yelled a, “come in.”
“Dr. Wise, I’ve found my tutor.”