Beauty and the Beast

Of Sweetcakes and Stupidity

Isabelle's POV

“Isabelle! I don’t think this is a very good idea.” Maurice declared shakily as I practically marched him to the library. I had worked myself up to a good mad as Maurice told me all that had happened. How Tier had basically commanded Maurice to be his tutor, despite Maurice’s somewhat muted protests. I knew I should be a little afraid of the guy who’s nickname is the “Beast”, but I was so furious and almost frantic to protect my only friend, I really didn’t give a crap about his so called “beastly” ways. So basically, Tier was going down.
“Isabelle! Don’t you think you should calm down before you…” Maurice faltered as I just turned and stared at him. “Then again, maybe you should just got have a chat with him.”
Silence followed us all the way to the library. I stood outside the doors for a few seconds, catching my breath. I knew I was about to make the biggest mistake of my life, challenging this kid, but when I looked at Maurice, I couldn’t make myself care. He needs protecting, so here I am, about to kick some butt, Ryan Tier’s butt to be specific.
“Maurice, take me to him.” Maurice gave a half whimper half groan as he shot me a horrified glare.
“I’m not going anywhere near him. He might hit me.”
“If he hits you and I’m there, I promise you he’ll never have little beasts and beastettes ever, OK?”
His face cringed in that automatic male sympathy, but then he nodded. “OK, I’ll take you to him.”
I followed him as he slowly made his way to a boy hunched over a table. His thick, but greasy looking brown hair hung down, almost touching his shoulders. He had broad shoulders, his black shirt stretched over his back. His arms look powerful, and I felt the first shiver of fear flow down my back. Jesus, what the hell have I gotten myself into.
“Um, excuse, Mr. Ryan?” Maurice lightly tapped him on the shoulder, and then brought his hand back to safety as if Tier was going to bite him or something.
But as Tier stood up, and turned around, I knew why Maurice was so frightned. I felt my eyes bulge out, as he drew himself up to full height. Jesus. He was tall. Towering over me, and he was muscular, not scarily so. But his scowl made you feel as if he wouldn’t mind using those muscles to do serious damage. His face had a beard, which made him look quite menacing, and you couldn’t see his eyes for his greasy hair hung down, hiding his eyes.
“What?” He snarled. I swallowed, and dug deep inside of myself to find that mad that had fled at the very sight of him. Pulling Maurice behind me, I gestured to the Biography section, no one was ever in there. I felt his eyes burning a hole in the back of my head as we walked through the bookshelves. I stopped and closed my eyes briefly, and turning around, I found him right next to me, leaning down so my face came right up to his. Blue eyes flashed briefly in mine, but I jumped away gasping.
“What do you want, sweetcakes?” Maurice tugged on my hand, still wanting to leave.
“Listen, Tier. You need to go talk to Mr. Goodman, and tell him Maurice can’t be your tutor.”
“And why would I do that?”
“You practically forced him to be your tutor!”
“So?” God, anger and fear warred viciously in me at his ferocious, and somewhat arrogant smirk.
“So? It’s not fair to him!”
“Do I really look like I give a crap about him?” No, no he didn’t. The sheer rudeness of this guy, and the sheer intimidating presence he exuded made him that much scarier.
“It doesn’t matter whether you do or not, if you don’t tell Mr. Goodman Maurice won’t be your tutor, then I---“
“What are you going to do, sweetcakes, stutter at him?” He asked, leaning against a bookshelf.
“No, you big idiot, I’m going to tell him myself.”
“You can’t do that.” This time, his smirk was all arrogant.
“Why not?”
“Because, Maurice already signed the contract.”
“He signed the….” I didn’t even have to look at Maurice to know that Tier was telling the truth. “Well, crap.”
“So, you see sweetcakes, Maurice is stuck with me. Whether he likes it or not. And as I said before, hate me or love me, I really don’t care. I got my tutor, I’m happy.” When I just stood there, glaring at him, he started to frown himself. Which turned into a full blown scowl when I just turned on my heel, and walked away.
“Come on, Maurice, let’s go see if we can talk to some one civil about this.”
“You can’t.” Came from behind me.
“Why not?” I gritted out, not even bothering to turn around.
“Because,” came the whisper in my ear. “Goodman is old fashioned, once a contract is signed, said signers are ceaselessly bound.”
“Oh, you stupid son of a—“ I was rudely whirled around, and came eye to eye with the arrogant brute. Struggling to get out of his punishing grip, I could only glare at him to show my irritation, fearing if I do anything else, he would seriously hurt me.
“So, guess what that means, sweetcakes.”
“What?” I barely whispered. I felt more than saw Maurice trying valiantly, but unsuccessfully to get Tier’s hands off my arms.
“He’s stuck with me.”
“You are a jerk.” I told him, anger getting the best of me. He sneered at me.
“And you, sweetcakes, are nothing more than a pretty face.” He replied callously. Despite my efforts, his words brought those damned tears back into my eyes. I bowed my head so he couldn’t see.
“Aw, and you’re a crybaby.” That does it. I stomped hard on his foot, surprised he jerked back, and I managed to yank myself out of his grip.
“And you, dear sir, are nothing more than a pitiful, cruel, despicable…beast.” I said I turned around and Maurice followed me, still a bit shell shocked.
“Yeah, so what sweetcakes, you still can’t do a damn thing about Maurice.”
What I did next could only be described as the dumbest, most idiotic thing I’ve ever done in my life. What pushed me to do so, I’ll never ever know.
I turned to him, narrowing my eyes as I took in his egotistical stance, and gruesome smile that twisted his features, and said, “Oh yeah? How bout this, Tier? I’m going to be your tutor. So, therefore Maurice is released of his tutoring duties. So, there!”
Utter silence followed my breezy comment. And then came Maurice and Tier’s mingled responses.
“What the…” Tier said, rubbing his face.
“Isabelle!” Maurice cried. “No!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think! I love hearing back from you guys!!!