‹ Prequel: Three
Sequel: Borrow My Heart

Only

Til There’s No Way to Know Where You End and Where I Begin

James woke up Friday morning, stretching with a smile at the smells coming from downstairs. He got up and pulled on a pair of sweatpants, rubbing his hand through his hair before heading downstairs.

In the kitchen, Tessa sang softly to herself, her back to him as she cooked at the stove. Her hair was twisted on top of her head, her feet were bare, and she had on his shorts and t-shirt still that she had slept in the night before.

Tessa and Lennon had been waiting near the locker room after the game the night before, talking to Rich when he came out. Tessa hugged him quickly and pressed a light kiss to his cheek and congratulated him on his hat trick, telling him how proud she was. He had swept her out of the building a few moments later and drove home.

Tessa pulled off her jeans the minute they were in his house, complaining that they were cutting into her, and James laughed at her walking around his house in just her Predators jersey before heading upstairs to change out of his suit.

When he came back downstairs, he found Tessa rooting through his clean laundry, still in the dryer, where she found a pair of shorts and a shirt. She disappeared into his downstairs bathroom and after a few minutes, emerged changed, her jersey over her arm that she placed over the back of his couch.

"Who was at the door?" He called after her as she walked into the kitchen.

She came back with the pizza they had picked up on the way back to his place before answering. "Wrong house. Guess they got the address wrong."

He nodded and picked up the remote as Tessa set the pizza down on the coffee table and sat down beside him. She leaned forward and piled four slices on the plate before sitting back, offering the plate to him and letting him take a piece off the top before eating her first slice in three bites. He started a movie as she started on her second.

Before the movie was over, Tessa was curled against him, sound asleep and snoring softly. James carried her up to bed and tucked her under the covers before sliding in on his own side and falling asleep.

"Morning, Tess," he said as he leaned in the doorway.

She turned at his voice with a smile. "Good morning. Are you hungry?"

"Starving." He ventured further into the kitchen and his mouth dropped at the pile of food laid across the counter. "Holy shit, Tess! Did you invite over Rich or something?"

"I'm hungry," she pouted. "Growing Paul's spawn is hard work."

James laughed and pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head. "I have to leave for practice in two hours. Do you wanna come and then we can pick Paul up at the hotel?"

Her eyes lit up at Paul's name. "Yes!"

"Thought so," he smirked. "Let's eat and then you can get ready."

~*~*~


James and Tessa walked into the hotel lobby a little after twelve thirty. She had texted Paul on the way and once they got there, and were waiting for him to come downstairs. A few of the guys milled around and came over to greet James while they waited. He saw a few that had never agreed with his, Paul, and Tessa's relationship nod in greeting on their way to the elevators, shooting looks in Tessa's direction. She was deep in conversation with Pascal and did not notice and James took a protective step closer to her.

He saw Paul before Tessa did and stepped away to head him off. "Is everyone cool with Tessa this year?" He demanded.

"Hey Paulie, how are you? How was the flight? I'm great, Nealer, flight was the same as it ever was. How are you?"

"I'm serious, man. Is anyone being different to her?"

Paul sighed and looked over James to Tessa and Pascal who had been joined by Chris. "No one has said anything," he answered carefully.

"But Craig, what about him? He was the most vocal before."

"He doesn't really talk to her but he's the only one, I promise. The new guys don't seem to know or if they do, they don't mention it and they don't act any different."

"You haven’t slipped up and told any of them about the baby?"

"No; Tessa doesn't want to say yet and I'm going with what she wants. No one made any comments to us when we told them we were engaged but I know Tessa is afraid people will talk when they find out about the baby and gossip about whether it's mine or yours. Why are you asking anyway?"

"Craig gave her a look when he saw her standing with me."

Paul nodded. "Don't worry about it, James. We know what's going on and that's what matters. I don't care that she's here with you, I don't even care if that baby comes out looking like you. They're mine; my family. You know she's my number one priority."

"I know, I just wanted to ask."

"You'll be the first person I tell if someone is an asshole to her so you can knee them in the head."

"What are you two biddies gossiping about?" Tessa asked, walking up and putting her arms around Paul, pressing against his back.

"Team gossip," Paul answered smoothly. "What were you gossiping about?"

"Duper's kids. I told him we'd babysit after I'm home."

"For practice?"

Tessa blushed. "Yeah, for practice." Paul pulled her around in front of him and kissed her, slow and deep.

"Are you hungry?" James asked to interrupt them. "I'll take you to lunch."

"I'm hungry," Tessa said.

"How? You ate like six pancakes, and three scrambled eggs and toast. Where is it going?"

"Her boobs," Paul leered. She giggled, swatting at his arm.

"Yeah, I did notice those," James agreed.

Tessa rolled her eyes. "Come on, let's go," She took Paul's hand and pulled him towards the door. James led and they piled into his SUV and he drove to a nearby diner, a small dive with a lunch counter and about a dozen tables crammed into the space.

"This is where I have my cheat days," James admitted. "It's open twenty four seven and when I first got here, every time I drove past, it was packed so I finally stopped one day and it's great. Best French fries in Nashville, I swear."

Over lunch, Paul caught James up on everything going on in Pittsburgh and Tessa filled him on all the wedding details. He told them about the things he'd been doing in Nashville and about Delilah.

Tessa and Paul shared a look across the table that did not go unnoticed by James. "What?"

"Nothing," Paul answered. "It's just nice to see you happy."

"I'm always happy."

"That's true," Tessa said, "but your face lights up when you say her name, your eyes get a little brighter. It's a good look on you."

"One we haven't seen in awhile," Paul added.

"Wasn't sure I'd find someone again that made me feel that way," James admitted. "Tessa is a hard act to follow."

She blushed as James reached to squeeze her hand that rested on top of the table beside his. "I'm not that special," she said.

"I think you're pretty great," Paul added as he leaned back in his chair.

"Trust me, Tess; you're one of a kind," James told her. "Paul is lucky to have you. I knew for awhile that you guys had something beyond what we were doing, something that you don't find every day. And I was so jealous of that. After we broke up, and after a little time, I realized that me and you would never be what you and Paulie are. You guys are perfect for each other and fuck all those mother fuckers in the locker room that can't see it. I want what you guys have and I hope that one day I find it for myself."

"James," Tessa cooed. "That's so sweet." She leaned over to kiss his cheek.

"You should let Paul tell the team you're pregnant. You're not going to be able to hide it forever. And I'm pretty sure Geno suspects something anyway."

"It's not fair when you both gang up on me," she pouted. "You know I could never say no when it was both of you."

Paul chuckled. "Good to know some things ever change. Where'd you sleep last night anyway?"

Tessa blushed. "James' room. Sorry."

"I kind of figured you would, Tessie. You're still friends but I know that the rest is our past, and that anything else is something you only give me now."

"This guy," James grinned, jabbing his thumb in Paul's direction. "I thought I was good in bed; you must be a sex god to keep Tessa in my bed but out of my pants."

"I never said I liked it," Paul continued. "I won't lie; I wish you two would realize that the way you are with each other isn't normal."

"When has this ever been normal though?" Tessa challenged.

"Since you and James broke up and you and I got engaged. That's when. I'm not trying to be an asshole, Tessa. I'm just stating my opinion. I trust you, and James, but sharing a bed while you're engaged to someone else isn't normal. Sharing a bed with a girl you’re not involved with while you are dating someone else isn’t normal. It's a boundary is all I'm saying. You two have no boundaries. I get it because I was a part of it. Other people, not so much. I don't think either of you realize how it could come across to others, especially people who don’t know the real story of your history."

"I had to tell Rich," James spoke up. "Because I've never changed your picture in my phone and he saw it last week."

Paul sighed. "You should really change that. Before the girl you're seeing sees that. She might not be as understanding as Rich."

"She goes to church," he told them. "And her dad is a preacher. I can never tell her about my past with Tess."

"She might be more open than you realize," Tessa suggested.

"I don't know."

"You said she has tattoos, and dances burlesque; that sounds like an open mind to me," Paul added.

"I'll think about telling her, okay?"

"And then this summer you can both come to Minnesota," Tessa smiled. "At least for a week. Spend some time with your goddaughter."

"Goddaughter? You're having a girl?"

"We're having a girl," Paul confirmed.

"Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Tessa made me promise not to tell anyone."

"Even me?"

"Even you."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He demanded of Tessa.

"The plan was not to tell anyone. It was supposed to be a surprise. But I'm emotional and you broke me being all sweet before. Damn hormones."

"Are you gonna name her Jamie? I think that's a pretty name." His grin was cocky and showed all his teeth.

"We're not naming her after you," Paul replied.

"But we do have a name picked. And no, I'm not going to tell you. That I will keep a secret," Tessa added.

"I'm gonna try though to get it out of you," he told her.

"Yeah, I know."

The bell over the door opened and two feminine voices laughed as they entered the small diner. James looked up at the sound and his smile widened. "Hey!" He called out cheerfully, pushing back from the table and standing.

Delilah forced a smile on her face as James walked towards her and Daisy. He hugged Daisy and then turned to her with that happy grin before pulling her into his arms. "I wish you had been there last night. I scored a hat trick; you would've had a blast. You're coming tomorrow though, right?"

"I'm sorry I missed that," she replied, ignoring the look Daisy gave her. "It sounds like you had a memorable night."

"Come meet my friends," he said as she stepped back.

"No, no, you finish your lunch. We'll catch up later."

"No, I want you to meet them."

"I've just been feeling a little under the weather, James. I don't want to pass it on to them. In fact, I'm starting to feel a little dizzy. I think I should get home and sleep. I'll call you later." She backed out of the diner and Daisy followed.

"What was that about?" Daisy asked as she pulled out of the parking lot.

"I'm not feeling very well."

"Liar. Tell me what's really going on. What did James do?"

"He didn't," she started before bursting into tears.

"Delilah, what's wrong?"

"That woman, with James at the diner."

"What about her? He said that was a friend of his. I've heard him mention a good friend that's a woman. Maybe it's her."

"The girl at the game last night, that was her. And when I left the arena, I went to his house. She was there."

"Maybe she came down from Pittsburgh and is staying there."

"She answered the door in his jersey and nothing else, Daisy."

"What?! No, that can't be right. James isn't that guy."

"What if he is though? I told him about my dad, how I grew up, all of it. What if I'm just not good enough for him? Obviously I can't give him what he wants and she can."

"That's not James though. He's a good guy. He's been nothing but decent since the day I met him. None of this makes sense. Let's go back and talk to him."

"I just want to forget James Neal exists."

"But you already told him you'd come to the game tomorrow night. It's against his old team; it will mean so much to him if you're there."

"I can't, Daisy. I just can't."

At the diner, James watched in confusion as Delilah pushed out of the diner, unsure if he should follow her. He watched Daisy drive away before walking back to the table. "Sorry; I guess she's not feeling well."

"Was that her?" Paul asked.

"Yeah, that was Delilah. And Daisy, she's our team dentist. She's Shea's girl."

"She looks familiar," Tessa mused.

"She reminds me of that waitress at the place you like," Paul said.

"Because that really narrows it down, Martin," she teased him, sticking her tongue out at him. "I eat a lot."

"Tell me about it."

She balled up her napkin and tossed it at him with an indignant look on her face. James laughed at their exchange.

"I'm always available as a backup," he joked.

"I might take you up on that."

Paul rolled his eyes. "Over my dead body."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! I'm reading a couple amazing fics on here and I want to make sure you know about them too. The first one is Sure Thing a Paul Martin fic. If you've never read any of anogete's fabulous stories, you should. Go read them all (and if you've read them before, read them again).

The other is just getting started but it's by kmblue and I love everything she does too. She's even coming out of fic retirement with this one so go show her some love. It's called Two Weeks and it is going to be an A+ amazing James Neal fic, I just know it.

Sorry my updates are so slow with this one. I'm still plugging away at it; I've got uncooperative muses it seems. I've got a couple short stories waiting for when I finish this though.