‹ Prequel: Three
Sequel: Borrow My Heart

Only

I Wanna Melt in I Wanna Soak Through, I Only Wanna Move When You Move

Delilah groaned as she woke the next morning and rolled her neck.

"Ow," James muttered as she rolled her head into his.

"Oh my god!" Delilah yelped as she leapt off the couch. "Why didn't you wake me?!"

"And let you drive home? Yeah, I don't think so. Besides, we both fell asleep. And you make this cute little snoring noise when you sleep."

"I do not snore!" She protested.

James laughed as he stood, stretching his arms over his head. Delilah's eyes trailed to the skin that was exposed at his waist as his shirt lifted with the movement. "Trust me, you snore," James said, pulling her attention back to his face. "Let's get breakfast."

"In public?"

"That's how most people do it," he smirked.

"I slept in these clothes."

"I can find you a shirt, and a sweatshirt you can borrow. I'll even let you borrow a hat if you want."

"What if we just go to my house and I'll make you breakfast instead?"

James shrugged. "Okay. I'm gonna go change."

Delilah picked up her purse. "I'm gonna go ahead and go so I can shower real quick." James walked her to the door and she kissed his cheek. "I'll see you in a little bit," she smiled before heading out. James watched from the front door until she pulled out of his driveway before hurrying up the stairs.

He was pulling into Craig's driveway forty five minutes later after a quick shower of his own and throwing on sweats and a hooded sweatshirt, knocking at the door. Craig pulled it open with a frown, stepping back with a grunted greeting for James to come in.

"Lila's in the kitchen," he said shortly.

"Thanks," James replied as he started forward again. Craig grabbed his arm.

"She's not like other girls," he said lowly.

"I know."

"She is nothing like your last girlfriend." The words were pointed and James yanked free of his grip.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Does she know about Tessa?"

"Excuse me?"

Craig took a step closer to James and leveled him with a stare. "I overheard Rich when Tessa was in town. Have you told Delilah the truth about her?" He paused before shaking his head. "You know what? Don't answer that. I already know the answer. You haven't. You need to. Because if you don't, I will."

"You don't know what you're talking about. Rich just talks to be heard."

"I don't think that's true. You dated her in Pittsburgh, she stayed at your house here. And I bet you had a really good laugh at Delilah's expense while you fucked her."

The comment made his blood boil. He would never do anything purposely to hurt Delilah and that Craig thought he cared so little of her hurt. "She's engaged; I didn't fuck her. We're friends; that's it."

"Bullshit. I'm watching you, Neal." He picked up a set of keys and his jacket. "I'll see you later, Lila!" He called out.

Delilah stepped out into the hall. "You're going?"

"Told Ryan I'd come over and help him out with something. I'll be back later."

She nodded. "Do you want to do dinner before the game?"

"I'll cook," he grinned.

She nodded. "I'll see you in a bit then." She walked over and hugged her oldest friend.

"See ya later," he smiled. He nodded curtly at James before leaving. Delilah grabbed his hand and tugged him forward to the kitchen.

"What were you and Craig talking about?"

"Nothing," James answered quickly. "Just the game tonight."

She nodded. "Well I just got everything ready for some omelettes, is that okay?"

"Sounds great," he smiled.

On the drive back to his house, James was plagued by Craig's words. He knew he should tell Delilah the truth about his past; she had been open and honest about hers. He could tell her that he had dated Tessa before Paul but the whole truth was what she deserved. That was the part that terrified him.

She was a preachers daughter and he had been in a polyamorous relationship for a year and a half. She was going to run when he told her, fast and far. And he didn't want her to. He didn't want to lose her.

He had fallen in love.

He was at a red light when the thought occurred to him and it pulled him further into his own head, so much so that a car behind him had to honk their horn at him for him to realize the light had changed to green.

When he got home, he took Nixon for a walk and then crawled into bed for his normal pre game nap. He went through all the motions after; getting dressed, driving to the arena, changing, and warming up.

The game against the Oilers ended up being a close contest that was tied at the end of regulation but ending in overtime with a win. He gave post game interviews and showered, dressing again in his suit.

"Hey," Shea said, sitting down beside him as he slipped into his dress shoes. "You got a minute?"

"Yeah, sure. What's up?"

"Are you okay? You seem...not yourself."

"I'm good, I swear."

"Are you sure? You weren't all out there tonight."

James knew he was right. His head hadn't been a hundred percent in the game. Not with Delilah on his mind. "I'm sorry, Shea. It won't happen again."

"Is it Delilah? Everything alright with you guys?"

"Yeah, it's great."

"Okay. If you need to talk though."

"Thanks, cap," James grinned. Shea clapped a hand to his shoulder before walking away.

A few minutes later, James made the walk down to the family lounge to find Delilah. They didn't have plans for after the game and he hoped she didn't have any with anyone else either.

Because he had to tell her the truth, no matter what the cost.

Delilah saw James enter the room, fidgeting with his tie as he looked around the room. When their eyes met, she smiled, and his hands nervously went to his hair. He started towards her and halfway there, Craig blocked his path. James shook his head vehemently at whatever Craig said to him and stepped around him as he continued towards her.

James only had eyes for Delilah, stunning in her simple way. Low heeled boots and jeans paired with a long sleeved Preds shirt. Her hair fell in loose waves, the effect of letting it dry twisted in two braids.

"Hey, wanna get out of here?" James asked, taking Delilah's hand in his.

"Okay," she nodded. "Let's go to your place."

Delilah had been thinking too that day. She had thought about it on her drive home that morning from his house, and again after he left hers. James had been nothing but gentlemanly and respectful of her and her beliefs. He asked questions, listened to her thoughts, and seemed to be genuinely interested in not just her, but everything about her.

The simple fact was she was falling for James. It had been six weeks since they met and she trusted him, with her heart, and with her body.

The only thing left to do was to tell him.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little shorter than intended but I wanted to end this one where I did with a little buildup. You can guess what's on the horizon.