‹ Prequel: Three
Sequel: Borrow My Heart

Only

I Wanna Breathe Out When You Breathe In, Then I Wanna Fade Into You

James walked Delilah to her car and made sure she was safely inside before heading back to his own car. Delilah turned the engine over with a smile as she watched James' retreating figure, enjoying the fit of his suit, imagining helping him out of it. She shivered with anticipation.

Pulling out of the parking structure, she made a right turn to make the drive to his house. It was about twenty minutes from the arena to his house and she thought about ways to tell him she was ready before finally settling on showing him. She caught a glimpse of his sleek white car zoom past her on the interstate and she pulled into his driveway just as he stepped from his car.

On the drive, James went over in his head what he wanted to say. It all sounded stupid though and the devil on his shoulder tried to talk him out of it. He told himself no, he had to tell Delilah. He should've done it already but he now knew he had been scared and trying to ignore it had only made the situation worse. She deserved the truth and he was going to have to deal with whatever consequences that dealt him.

He pulled in his driveway and pulled his tie off before resting his head against the steering wheel. He hoped Delilah would hear him out but knew keeping this from her was worse than anything. He shook the thoughts that plagued him away and focused on the positive ones as he stepped from his car. The headlights of Delilah's car bounced off his front windows as he closed the door.

James leaned back against the drivers door as she parked, arms folded across his chest. Delilah thought he looked like a damn model, hair pushed off his face and styled within an inch of it's life, suit jacket off, tie removed, and shirt sleeves rolled up his forearms. He looked delectable, good enough to eat, so when she closed the door to her own car, she moved towards him, sliding her arms around him and kissing him.

James arms wound around her waist and pulled her into him. It was a natural reaction to a beautiful woman touching and kissing him. He loved the way she fit against him and he really loved when she moved her mouth from his lips to along his jawline before nipping her way along the exposed hollow of his neck.

"Come inside," James croaked out, grabbing her hand and tugging her forward to his door. He barely managed to fit his key in the lock when Delilah slid her hands around his middle and pressed against his back. Her hands slid across the front of his shirt and she reveled in the feel of him, the pull and bunch of muscle that lay hidden underneath the dress shirt he wore.

Her hands moved up and undid the first few buttons of his shirt as they tumbled in the door. James spun her in front of him, kicking the door closed and guiding her towards his living room. He had for the moment forgotten his purpose for the night. He had no idea what was happening but he was going to go with it.

Delilah pushed James towards his couch and straddled his lap, unbuttoning his shirt the rest of the way. She kissed him again, holding his face in her hands and grinding into him. James groaned. "You're killing me."

She giggled. "You're killing me, Neal. I don't know that any guy has been as patient and understanding as you. I'd like to show you how much I appreciate that."

Her hands moved over his exposed upper body as she moved in to kiss him again. His skin tingled with her touch. Her chest pressed into his and she felt him harden under her. She shifted over him and moaned as she rolled her hips.

She was going in for another kiss when James pulled back, looking into her eyes. "Delilah, slow down."

She blinked at his words before her lips fell into a smirk. Now was not the time for James to worry about her virtue or whatever it was that caused him to try and take the reins. This was her show.

"We've been doing slow. I'm ready for the fast lane," she replied, leaning back into him. He moved left to avoid her and then lifted her from his lap and set her down beside him. She looked back at him with a stunned expression.

"I didn't ask you to come over for this," he told her.

"I know. But I want to. I told you; I just want to be sure about a guy. I'm no prude," she laughed. "I thought the burlesque was a giveaway to that."

"I didn't think you were. I liked taking our time. I..." He let out a breath. "I think I love you, Delilah."

Her eyes widened at his admission and then softened into a smile. "James," she started, reaching for his hand. "I..." He stood abruptly and cut her off.

"I need to tell you something."

"Okay?" She said with confusion.

"About Tessa."

Delilah's stomach churned and her throat tightened. James looked so serious as he paced, tugging at his hair. He stopped and faced her with a heavy sigh.

"Tessa is important to me. We're friends, and she helped me see where I want my life to be. I wanted to find someone that fit with my life that way she does for Paul. I wanted what they had; happiness, love, marriage. I know she wants that for me too. She's there for me, and she always will be, but Paul is her priority and I want someone who has me first."

"I'm here, James, right here," Delilah said softly.

He smiled sadly. "I haven't been completely honest with you about Tessa. You know she's a part of my life, that we were neighbors but I didn't tell you that she...she was my girlfriend. We broke up over the summer, on the day I got traded to Nashville."

Delilah blinked as she processed his words.

Girlfriend.

Broke up.

Summer.


James sat down beside her and she looked over at him. "You dated her?"

He nodded. "For a year and a half."

"Why didn't you tell me?" She questioned quietly. Before he could answer, her mind cleared to a second question. "But she's engaged to Paul. They've been together almost two years. She told me."

"That's why I didn't tell you. That's why I don't tell anybody really. Paul, Tessa, and I, we were all in a relationship. Together. It's called polyamorous and she was my girlfriend, and Paul's girlfriend too."

She blinked several times in succession trying to understand before she shot off the couch. "You're bisexual?" She exclaimed. "Not that that's a bad thing," she added more calmly. "You should just tell someone that, up front.

"What?! No! No," he repeated firmly. "Paul and I never. It wasn't like that, I swear. I'm straight, Delilah. Trust me."

"I think I need to go."

"Delilah, please. Let me explain. I can make this make sense."

"Make sense? James, you can't be serious! It's not normal."

"Normal is what you make of it. It felt normal to me. She was my girlfriend, we had a relationship. It's no different than what we have except I shared my life with her and Paul. I know it's not traditional but it's not not normal. Lots of people have poly relationships."

"I'm not lots of people."

"I didn't say you were. It's not what I want, Delilah. It's my past, not my present or my future. That's you. No one else."

She kissed his cheek quickly. "I'll call you," she promised before hurrying to the door. James followed and caught her wrist before she could open the door.

"Please let me talk to you about this."

"I can't, not right now. I need time."

James stepped back from her. "Okay," he said in defeat. "I'll give you time but please, when you're ready, let me tell you my story. That's all I ask; ten minutes to explain it."

"I'll call you," she told him again.

He let her go, knowing it was the only thing he could do. He watched her pull out of his driveway and hoped like hell it meant he wasn't losing her forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think I'm gonna wrap this up in another two, maybe three chapters. Y'all have been awesome and so patient as this had chugged along and I can't say thank you enough for sticking with me on this.