‹ Prequel: Three
Sequel: Borrow My Heart

Only

There’ll Be No Trace That One Was Once Two, After I fade Into You

Following Saturday night's loss to the Sharks, James was just happy to be back in Nashville. Sunday was an off day for the team, a chance to spend a relaxing day with loved ones.

Except it just gave James more time to think about Delilah.

Deciding it was time to heed Paul's advice, James called Delilah around one thirty. When she actually answered, he was momentarily stunned into speechlessness.

"Hello, James," her warm voice came through. "Tough loss last night."

"You watched?"

"I did."

"Oh."

"James, I..." He voice trailed off and he heard her exhale a breath a moment later. "I'd like a chance to talk to you, if you still want to talk to me."

"I still want that."

"Can I make you dinner tonight?"

"Yeah, of course. Come over around six?"

"I'll be there."

~*~*~


At 5:56, Delilah pressed the doorbell at James' house. She felt nervous and anxious as she stood there. She heard his dog Nixon bark from behind the door and then a second bark followed by James' voice. He opened the door with a smile and Delilah felt her body light at the sight of him.

"Hi," Delilah said shyly, looking away from him quickly. "Could you help me with the groceries I bought?"

"Of course," James nodded. He looked at the dogs. "Stay," he told them firmly before following Delilah to her car.

"You got a new dog?"

"Some of the guys were at a shelter and sent me his picture. I went and met him earlier today. His name is Snoop."

"He looks young."

"He's still a puppy but Nixon is helping show him the ropes."

As she moved to open the trunk, James slid his fingers around her wrist. She stilled at his touch and turned towards him. He tilted her face to his. "I'm glad you're here."

"Me too," she whispered.

He held her face in his hands and leaned in, kissing her softly. "I've missed you," he admitted. "And I needed to do that in case it's the last time I ever get to."

"I missed you too, James," she replied, squeezing his hand. "Let's talk inside though."

After collecting the bags Delilah brought with her, they went inside to the kitchen. Delilah unpacked everything onto the counters and James poked around through it.

"What's for dinner anyhow?" he asked.

"Ravioli. I made the dough earlier."

"You made the dough?" he repeated.

"Of course. It's pretty simple. I just need to roll it out and then you can help me stuff them."

"You know last time I tried to help you I burned the bread, right?"

Delilah giggled at the memory. He had warned her he was something of a disaster in the kitchen but she thought heating garlic bread in the oven would be simple enough. She was very wrong. James had set the oven temperature way to high and the bread had ended up a charred mess by the time Delilah realized.

"Alright, maybe you'll just watch."

James slid onto a stool at the island in the middle of his kitchen as Delilah began to work on the food. "I want you to know I'm sorry that I left without hearing you out. I'd like to hear it now if you still want to tell me."

"You don't have to apologize, Delilah. It was a lot."

"It's your life, and I should have let you explain. I'm sure you held back from telling me for a very good reason."

"Yeah, like I dated a girl who was also dating my best friend. Totally normal," he deadpanned.

"What made you want to be a part of it?"

"I don't know that I thought about it really. It was more something that just happened. Which sounds stupid but it's true. We had won a game the night before and Paul and I had each taken home a different girl. We called them cabs in the morning and then Paulie would bake breakfast. That was our routine. But that morning, Tessa was getting her paper and saw us and called us out and I invited her to eat with us."

"And for a year and a half you kept it a secret?"

"For me, yes. They found out about her and Paul after he broke his leg. That was about six months in. We told them the truth after a year. And then Tessa and I broke up while we were at a wedding. That was when I found out I was traded and when Tessa found out she was pregnant."

"Did it hurt, finding out she and Paul were expecting?"

"A little," he shrugged. "But I knew Paul was the right choice for her. They had something deeper that we didn't. It's special what they have."

"Do you ever miss it? The three of you I mean."

"I miss how easy it was sometimes. Coming to Nashville was a way to start over I guess, a chance to figure it all out for myself. Isn't that why you came here?"

She smiled. "I did."

"So what else do you want to know?"

Delilah set aside what she was doing and walked around to stand in front of James. "Am I enough? Do you need a relationship like that?"

"Delilah, no," he answered, rising to his feet. "I don't need that. It was a part of my life but it isn't my life. I'll always be friends with Paul and Tessa, we're entwined, but what's past is past, I swear. You're everything I want, everything I need, everything I was looking for. I love you."

He pulled her into him, hugging her. "I had no idea what would happen when I got to Nashville but I wasn't expecting a lot of good. I was mad, angry, probably a little bitter about being traded. And then I met you. I see my life with you, only you."

"I love you too, James."

"You do?" He asked as he stepped back.

"Yeah, I do. It scared me when you told me and I ran but I don't want to run. I want to be with you. I want to be a part of your life and I want you to be a part of mine."

"I want that too," he grinned.

"Good, because if the offer still stands, I'd like to be your date to Paul and Tessa's wedding."

"Really?"

"Really." She laughed as James rushed towards her and lifted her off the ground in his arms. "I talked to Tessa," Delilah admitted in the midst of James' excitement.

He stilled and set her down. "You talked to Tessa?"

"I know I should've heard you out first but I wanted to know from her. So Daisy called Rose, who called Lennon, because Lennon was with Tessa at the bachelorette party, and she called me."

"If we're gonna do this together, then I want you to like Tessa and get along with her. But if you're not okay with that then we'll figure it out."

"I'm okay with it," she promised.

"So then," he started as he slid an arm around her waist, "that thing you tried to start with me two weeks ago...can we pick up with that?"

Delilah blushed at the memory of that last night with James. "Don't you dare blush, Delilah," he said. "It was really hot how you were just going to take what you wanted. It was not what I was expecting."

"I'm never anyone's expectation," she smirked.

"Which is exactly the way I like it." He picked her up and headed towards the stairs.

"James! What about dinner?"

"Dinner can wait. I cannot."

~*~*~


"Delilah!" James called out as he entered his house. Their house. That made him smile as he closed the door behind him and dropped his keys on the table. Snoop and Nixon appeared moments later, sitting at his feet, wagging their tails at his return.

"Delilah!" He called out again as he started towards the kitchen, the dogs following. "Babe," James said, leaning against the door frame. "You're supposed to come running and jump me when I get back from a road trip. It makes me feel good about myself."

She laughed, wiping her hands on a dish towel before making her way to him and kissing his cheek. "You don't need me to boost your ego. All the fangirls do that just fine."

"But you're my favorite fangirl," he pouted.

"Then I guess it's a good thing you have me."

"Forever," he smiled, grabbing her hand. His finger slid over the diamond on her left hand before he pulled her to him.

"You want me to boost your ego now, don't you?" Delilah smirked.

"Yes please."

She shook her head with a smile and leaned up to kiss him. "I love you, James."

"I love you too, Delilah." He hugged her tightly before releasing her. "Ready for playoffs?"

"After last season I think I'm ready for another go of it. It helped to have Tessa give me some tips in dealing with you when you're a complete pain in the ass."

"Hey!" He exclaimed with mock indignation. "I am not a pain in the ass."

"You're right, you're not. What is it that Paul always said? That's right; you're a brat."

"Paul Martin doesn't know what he's talking about."

"After spending a week in Minnesota last summer, I'm pretty sure Paul always knows what he's talking about and that the both of them know you best."

"After you," James amended. "You know me pretty well too."

"That's just because I moved in with you this season."

"I couldn't have you living with Craig anymore."

"Jealous."

"Hardly," he scoffed.

"Liar."

"Ok, maybe a little jealous."

She pecked his cheek quickly. "You're needy, so it's okay."

"I'm not needy either," he complained as Delilah moved back towards the oven.

"I made you brownies," she told him as she pulled a pan out. "There's ice cream in the freezer; can you get it?"

"Now whose needy?" He teased.

"Still you," she teased back. "But I like that about you."

"My mom was right then; she always said one day I'd find a girl who'd put up with how needy I am."

"Your mom just wants you happy."

"My mom just wants me to marry you. And Becca just wants a sister and asks me every other week since we got engaged in December why haven't I run off to Vegas with you."

"It's only three more months to June. The time will fly by between now and then and then they'll both have their wish."

"You realize," he started, grabbing the ice cream and then two bowls and spoons, "that the last time I was at a wedding in Minnesota that I got traded, right?"

"I have faith," she smiled.

"Oh, Paul sent me a new video of Ava; he's convinced she'll be able to walk down the aisle for the wedding."

Delilah smiled as James set the two bowls down and she put a fresh, hot brownie into each bowl. "Walking or not, she will be adorable. But having my niece to walk with her is exactly why we have two flower girls."

He stepped behind her and lined his body up flush to hers. Pushing the hair off her neck, he kissed her. "I don't care what we have as long as you're the girl walking down the aisle."

"I can't wait for that," she replied, leaning back into him and tipping her face to his.

"I can't wait to marry you, Delilah," James whispered in her ear. "You make my life feel complete."

"Mine too, James. Now dish out that ice cream."

He laughed. "Your wish is my command."

"Forever," she winked at him.

"Forever," he agreed.

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who stuck this out with me. It took awhile to all come together but I love you all for your patience and always for your kind words. No idea what I'll write next; have a lot of WIPs to tackle so I believe I'll be revisiting characters sooner or later. :)