‹ Prequel: Three
Sequel: Borrow My Heart

Only

I’d Pour Myself Out and Wash Off the Pain

James drove to Delilah's studio after practice the next day, pulling in just as Daisy and Delilah returned from lunch. Daisy smiled and waved as he emerged from his car.

"To what do we the owe the pleasure, Mr. Neal?" She teased.

"Just thought I'd stop and say hello before I went home."

"Of course," she winked. "I'll meet you inside, Lilah."

He waited until Daisy had gone inside the building before turning to look at Delilah. "So the other night....that was fun." James started nervously.

"I'm glad you had a good time."

"I've never seen a burlesque show."

"What did you think?"

"Different but cool. Sexy. Better than a strip club."

Delilah laughed, remembering their first meeting in the diner. There was a pause in the conversation and James felt himself getting nervous again. Which was weird because he didn't get nervous, not around women.

"I like your tattoos," he blurted out.

"Thank you James," she smiled. She could sense his nerves, thought it was funny that someone like him would be nervous around someone like her. She never thought of herself as anything but ordinary and James was, in a word, delectable, with his stormy eyes that seemed to change from blue to gray and back depending on the thoughts and feelings going through his head at any given moment. His hair, while messy, was perfectly messy in that I just rolled out of bed but not really way she could never do.

He pushed the sleeve of his shirt up, exposing the tattoos that covered his arm. "I had just my last name for a long time but I started adding to it a couple years ago."

Delilah reached out and traced some of the work around his forearm and James felt her touch everywhere. She smiled at him and her eyes held his. "You do what pleases you and fuck everyone else. There doesn't have to be a story or a reason behind every tattoo. You just have to like them for you."

"Do your tattoos have stories?"

"Some of them," she answered.

"Will you tell them to me?"

"Of course."

"How about over coffee?"

"Right now?"

James shrugged. "Yes?"

Delish laughed lightly. "You don't strike me as the unsure type, James Neal, but that was a very unsure yes."

"What type do I strike you as?"

"Confident, maybe a little cocky." Her head tilted to one side as she appraised him. "A man whore but a secret romantic at heart. I think you just want to fall in love but haven't found the right person to settle down with. I think if you did your mom would probably be over the moon about it. She worries about you."

If only she knew, James thought to himself. But she sure did nail him.

"Don't most moms?" He asked instead.

"Most moms of boys do. Dads worry about their little girls, some more than others."

"Are you a romantic, Delilah?"

"I think everyone is deep down. We all want to love and to be loved in return."

"Isn't that from Moulin Rogue?"

"It is. I'm surprised you know it. Let me guess... There was a girl and the quickest way in her pants was taking her to that movie."

"There were a couple girls," he blushed.

"At least you admit it."

"Coffee?" he suggested again.

"I don't have any other classes today; I was going to work on something new though for my show next month."

"Oh." James face fell and the sight clenched Delilah's heart.

"I can make an exception for you though," she continued.

His face lit with a smile and Delilah knew she was done for. When his guard was down and the smirk that he used to wheel women was replaced with a genuine smile, Delilah knew she could fall hopelessly in love with him.

But she knew she was not like the other girls and she knew she couldn't give James what he wanted. She didn't look the type and she certainly didn't act the type. She knew she should keep her distance, to save her heart, but she couldn't stop herself from saying yes to him.

"Let me just grab my things from inside."

James nodded and reached for the door, holding it open for her as she passed inside. He smiled to himself as he waited for her.

"What's that smile for?" Daisy teased him as Delilah disappeared down the hall for her office.

"Nothing," he answered.

"Did you ask her out?"

"We're going for coffee. It's not a date."

"Sure it isn't, because I didn't just listen to Lilah talk about this idea she wanted to dance out for the last forty five minutes and yet now she has time for coffee," Daisy said. "Just don't be you, okay? Delilah isn't like the puck sluts you usually pick up. She's...."

"She's what?"

"She's just different. Don't be an ass, Nealer. Don't do any of that stupid Real Deal bullshit we've all read about. Delilah is not the kind of girl you bullshit. You need to respect her or I will respectfully kick your ass."

"I know how to behave, Daisy."

"Do you? I haven't actually ever seen you with a woman so I shouldn't judge but I will because your reputation proceeds you. Delilah isn't like the girls you probably usually go out with."

"That's kind of obvious."

"Yeah, well, it's also not so obvious, you'll see."

"What does that mean?"

"It means Delilah is too good for you but if you want to pursue her, I'm not going to stop you. Just know that the usual hockey player M. O. isn't going to cut it. You have to be you, the real you. And when she trusts you, then you'll know the Delilah I know. Because if you think you know her, if you think you know where this is going, you'd be dead wrong."

James frowned. "I'm really not sure what you're saying, Daisy. Does she have some deep dark terrible secret? Is she a dude?"

"She is not a dude, dumbass. I'm just saying that if you think this is going to be easy, because of the tattoos and the burlesque, that if you have a preconceived notion of the type of person she is, you're wrong. Delilah has layers, and you have to get through all of them before you really know her."

"Layers, got it," James said as Delilah appeared in the hall. "Ready?" He asked her as she reached his side.

Delilah nodded. "See you later, Daisy!"

Delilah hugged her friend and Daisy whispered to her. She whispered back with a smile and Daisy nodded. Delilah led the way outside, her bag over her shoulder.

"Which car is yours?" James asked.

"None of the above. I don't have one. I walk mostly, or bike or take the bus."

“You're not one of those people that claim to never watch TV, are you?”

Delilah laughed and James decided he really liked the sound of her laugh. “No, I’m not one of those people. I would die without Duck Dynasty.”

“You watch Duck Dynasty?”

“What? You don’t think I’m redneck enough for Duck Dynasty?”

“Well...no, not really.”

Delilah smiled as James led her towards his car. “They make me laugh. And Jase is really hot. I like his beard.”

“You know, my beard grows in ginger,” James pointed out. “If ginger beards is what you’re into. And James is pretty close to Jase.”

“If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were hitting on me, Neal.”

“What if I was?”

“I’d tell you to come up with some better material.”

“Can I take you to dinner?”

“When?”

James thought a moment about his upcoming schedule. They had a home game in two nights and they would leave the day after for two games on the road. James sighed. “Next week?”

Delilah paused and looked up at him. “Next week? You asked me out but not until next week?”

“We play at home tomorrow but on the road Fridsy and Saturday. So, Sunday?”

“Why not tonight then?”

“You want to go out with me tonight?”

She shrugged. “You have plans already?”

“No.”

“Then why not? I’ll even do you one better. I’ll make dinner and we can watch Duck Dynasty reruns.”

“Will you come to the game tomorrow?” James asked.

“You want me to come see you play?”

“Yes. And didn’t you tell Shea that you had to come since he went to your show?”

“That I did. Get me a ticket with Daisy and I’m in.”

~*~*~


Delilah couldn't remember a time she had laughed as much as she had over coffee with James. He was easy to talk to, easy to like, and she was really looking forward to seeing him again.

They had eventually agreed that she'd come over to Rich's place and they'd cook together, although he had warned her he was terrible in the kitchen. She stopped at the grocery store on the way and a little after six, she was knocking at the door to Rich's house.

"Hey there, Delilah," Rich grinned slyly.

"Hi, Rich. How are you?" She stepped past him when he moved aside.

"I'm great. You?"

"Can't complain." A blue and white pit bill appeared in the hall then, sitting at Delilah's feet and nudging her hand with his nose. "Who is this handsome guy?" She said as she knelt down to scratch behind the dogs ears.

"That's Nixon. He's James' dog. Gonna miss him whenever they move out though."

Delilah straightened. "Are you joining us for dinner?"

"No," James said emphatically as he entered the room. "Nixon, place," he pointed. The dog trotted off towards the living room.

"I would but James told me to scram so I made plans. But I can help until then. This way to the kitchen," he grinned.

Delilah followed him and deposited the bags she carried on the counter. "You have a lovely home, Rich."

"Thanks. Make sure Nealsy gives you the tour later."

"I will." She looked around the kitchen and her eyes fell on the save the date card displayed prominently on the fridge. "What a sweet picture. You know someone getting married soon?"

"Not me," Rich answered. "Those are friends of James."

"Paul was my teammate in Pittsburgh," he spoke up.

"And neighbors. They were neighbors," Rich added.

"Tessa lived in between our houses."

"And now they're getting married?"

"Yep. New Years Eve."

"How exciting."

"Yep." He swallowed hard and realization dawned. He was going to have to lie for the rest of his life about who Tessa really was to him, or cross his fingers that any woman he dated and felt serious about (because it definitely wasn't first date information) wouldn't run for the hills when he told her the truth.

So probably he'd be lying for the rest of his life which was not the most ideal situation.

"Tessa is really cool, totally in love with Paul," Rich spoke up, shooting a glance towards James. "And she puts up with Nealsy too. Someone give that girl the sainthood."

"Paul and I were best friends in the 'burgh," James explained. "Tessa is too since they got together."

"That's sweet, that your friends girlfriend can be as accepting of you as she is of him. I mean, you were neighbors too so I'm sure you spent lots of time together. Craig and I are close like that. It's nice to have someone you're close to of the opposite sex when you need advice on some jerk guy you've been seeing."

Rich laughed. "That's why I like Dr. Daisy so much. Well, except when she reprimands me." He paused a second, glancing at the clock. "Guess I should be going. See ya later, Delilah!" He called out as he strode from the room.

"Sorry," James apologized. "Rich is a bundle of energy. But he's a really stand up guy."

"He's letting you stay here?"

"Until I can move into my own place."

"That's nice of him to let his new teammate move in with him temporarily."

"Actually, Rich and I have been teammates before. We were both drafted by Dallas and played for their minor team. But yeah, it was nice of him to let me stay here instead of staying in a hotel, or find a temporary apartment. Nixon likes it."

"Have you found something?"

"Yeah, nearby. Tessa helped me pick it out when she and Paul were in town before training camp. I close at the end of the month."

"Very exciting."

"Except I have to buy furniture."

"You don't have any from you house in Pittsburgh?"

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I didn't have much furniture there honestly. A couch, a bed. I just left it. I haven't been back there since the trade."

Delilah nodded and set about unpacking the grocery bags. "What's that like, being traded?"

"It's the second time for me and it does not get any easier. I was at a wedding when I found out. It put a gray cloud over it for like ten minutes but then I decided not to worry about it, at least not then. It's a small piece of a bigger picture, y'know?"

"That is an interesting outlook. Shows you are a bigger man in my opinion."

"Thanks. So what can I do to help?"

"How are you at peeling potatos?"

"Yeah, I can probably handle that. I should mention though...."

"What's that?"

"Rich doesn't have cable so Duck Dynasty is out tonight. But I picked up a couple movies at the redbox after practice."

"So you tricked me into making you a free dinner is what you're saying?"

"No! I um, forgot," he said sheepishly. "It's weird. Who doesn't have cable?"

Delilah giggled. "Clean the potatos," she directed him. "Hopefully you're as entertaining as Jase."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a first AND second date you guys! Love to all of you for your kind words on the last update.