Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Eleven

Definition of Insanity

Image
banner by Murder.Mystery.xx @ the Quizilla! Forums

“I never got a chance to ask you what school you’re going to while you’re in New York.” I say, more to myself than to Ashton. As I look around at the street we’re on that is now illuminated by street lamps, I feel someone’s, more than likely Ashton’s, gaze on me. I look up to see my suspicions confirmed.

“What?” he asks, a slight look of confusion encompassing his pristine features.

I blush, looking down for a quick second and then back at him before continuing. “Well, this morning when we went to Panera Bread, you said that you are going to school here; that’s why you’re in New York. I was just wondering what college you’re attending.” I hold my breath as I watch him, waiting for his rebuttal.

A look of realization replaces the one of confusion on his face. He smiles softly, his steely blue eyes softening as well. I smile back, still waiting for his reply. “Pratt.”

My eyes widen a bit and then narrow as I turn my head sideways to look at him out of the corner of my eye. “What?”

“Pratt University.” He reiterates, looking at me. No smile was on his face, or any other emotion. For the first time since I met him, Ashton’s facial features gave nothing away of what he was thinking or feeling.

Pratt?! Seriously? Why can’t I escape this guy?

“What a small world.” I mumble, shaking my head in disbelief. I look over at Maria and Peter, watching them for a few moments. Maria in her plaid pea coat is leaning her weight on Peter as they walk; his arm wrapped protectively around her waist. I sigh, still watching the couple as our group passes beneath another street lamp, a buttery yellow glow surrounding us for a few seconds.

Slowly we turn down one of the many side walks leading to the university. The moonlight finds its way through the trees that create the canopy covering the sidewalk that we’re walking on as we crunch our way through dead leaves, making our way toward the dorms.

The only sounds in this wonderfully tranquil night are our feet crunching on the colorful leaves littering the ground and our soft breathing. I look over at Ashton for the first time in about ten minutes to find him staring off into nowhere, more than likely daydreaming about something and his hands shoved into his coat’s pockets.

We finally reach the entrance to the dorms. “Well then,” I turn to Ashton and smile “I guess we’ll see you around. I had a good time tonight.” He smiles back at me before nodding. I stand there silently, waiting for him to say something. I mean, from what I’ve experienced, he always has something to say, good, bad, or otherwise. All that follows is silence. Well, not really. I can hear Peter and Maria whispering good-bye by to one another.

“Good night.” I articulate, leaning forward a bit and looking up into his eyes. He nods and smiles, leaning back on his heals.

“Yep.”

My eyes narrow and without looking I reach behind me and grab Mar-mar by the sleeve. I pull her with me as I stalk to the elevator.

“Hey!” she yelps, her and Peter’s lips being forcefully detached. I press the “up” button before looking over my shoulder back at the boys. Peter is staring at us and Ashton is strutting his stuff out the door.

My jaw drops as I watch dumb-founded as Peter follows “Ash” out the doors.

“Men.” I huff as I start to violently jab at the “up” button on the wall next to the elevator.

“Are you aware of the definition of insanity?” Maria inquires.

“What?” I ask, turning my attention from the button to my best friend.

“Doing something repeatedly and each time expecting a different outcome.” She supplies, nodding once. “That is what you’re doing.”

“Thank you.” I say with a steely tone in my voice. Finally, the elevator doors open.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's chapter eleven. =D
Please comment and/or subscribe.