Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Thirteen

Silver

The last few days have passed by slowly. Maria seems to always be out with Peter and I have yet to see or hear from Ashton after we parted ways Sunday evening. Chrissie hasn’t done or said anything out of character which is making me question my hearing skills. Did I really hear her being all covert and shady the other day? But isn’t this how you would expect someone to act after being caught? Act like nothing happened so that no one becomes the wiser? I’ve had long talks with myself about this peculiar situation multiple times, some mentally and some not so, earning me weird looks from passersby, but I have yet to answer my question.

Ever since Chrissie got here, and ever since I met Ashton and Peter for that matter, everything seems strange. Peter’s eyes are always smoldering whenever I open the door for him and Maria after one of their dates, just like the night at the Sushi bar. Chrissie is constantly sneaking side ways glances at me, not even turning away when caught. I don’t know what’s gotten into people.

I roll over in my bed, looking out the window in front of me. The days have gotten chillier and I’ve resorted to wearing thermals to bed. The new adviser you talk to about your dorm issues refuses to turn the temperature up above 65, saying that it’s better this way, seeing as how fuel costs are so high these days. I sigh, rolling unto my back and staring up at the ceiling. Both Maria and Chrissie are asleep beside me, multiple blankets on each of their beds.

I slowly sit up, not wanting all of the blood to rush from my head, and swing my legs over the side of my bed. After searching the silvery darkness for my camera and my knit pull over, I meander out into the hallway. My converses squeak in the silence as I walk to the elevator, I push the button, this time waiting patiently for the elevator doors to open.

Once I finally get down stairs, I walk through the big entrance doors and shiver a bit as the chilly night air nips at my outer extremities. The moon is shinning, washing everything out in a silvery white. I few street lamps and security lights wash everything in a five foot area a buttery yellow. I smile to myself, knowing I shouldn’t be out here, but unable to resist.

I stare off into the dark distance for a few minutes, lost in my own thoughts and trying to not think of anything at the same time. A shadow darts from one tree to another a few yards away, causing me to jump then scold myself for being frightened by a silly squirrel.

Finally, I pick up my camera from its resting place around my neck and aim it up at the heavens. I look through the shutter at the few clouds dotting the sky this evening and focus in. I snap a few shots, my device clicking after each one.

After a couple minutes of taking photos, I turn off my camera and turn around, making my way back to the dorm’s entrance; I had wandered out across the grassy knoll a ways. I see a figure leaning against the brick building next to the doors once I get closer. Curiosity fills me, mixing with suspicion and a little bit of fright. This is probably why the administration doesn’t want people walking around at night.

I continue to walk towards the entrance looking everywhere but at the person standing next to the doors. Somehow, it seems rude to stare, whether they can see me or not. Once I get a few paces closer, I can make out the blonde hair and wasp waist of Ms. Chrissie Emerson. I inwardly groan and all suspicion and curiosity melts away to aggravation.

“Enjoying the night?” she questions once I get within talking distance.

I nod. “Yeah, it’s nice out.” I take my camera off my neck and place it in its case. I look up to find Chrissie no longer leaning against the dorm building but standing with her hands on her hips. I continue to walk towards her, wonder what she’s going to do next.

“You were listening in on my conversation the other day,” she accuses. I see her eyebrows twitch into a scowl as I near.

“I was looking for my keys, it’s not my fault you talk so loudly,” I answer, shrugging.

I really don’t want to have this conversation right now. Why don’t you just go back to sleep?

I stop a couple of feet away from her, waiting for her rebuttal.

“That’s called eaves dropping and is very rude,” she comments bitterly, taking a few steps closer to me.

I roll my eyes, not caring if she can see me do it or not. “I know what eaves dropping is, Chrissie.” I walk forward, but Chrissie steps between the doors and I.

“So apologize,” she slightly snarls, jabbing at my shoulder.

I’m taken aback. I mean, I know Chrissie can be bitchy, but I’ve never seen her roll back her upper lip and look like she’s about to bite someone. I hold up my hands defensively and shake my head.

“I’m sorry. I was unaware that you were so bothered by this.”

She continues to glare daggers at me, her hands still resting on her hips and she’s still in the way of the door. She takes a step closer, the elevens on her brow growing. I just continue to stand and stare, longing to bed back to my warm-ish bed.

“I won’t do it again,” I offer, attempting to side step around her.

Chrissie bares her teeth in response. “That’s right you won’t.” She puts well manicured hands on both of my thermal clad shoulders.

What the heck?

I raise an eyebrow at her, stepping backwards and out of her hold. Next thing I know, I’m on the ground, Chrissie looming over me.

What the fuck?

“Chrissie,” I say, leaning up onto my elbows, “What do you think you’re doing?” I glare up at her, throwing my head back to get my hair out of my face.

She hisses, making my eyes widen. “I’m going to finish this.”

Well, that’s cliché.

“Finish what?” I ask, not daring to move.

“Oh please. I’m not going to monologue.” She snaps, bending down with her hands on her knees. Her teeth are still bared and are very visible in the light of the moon.

Unsure of what else to do, I swing my leg up, kicking her in the crotch and sliding her legs out from under her, karate finally paying off. She yelps like the lap dog that she is and falls onto her butt. I sprint to the door and yank it open, looking over my shoulder at her. Chrissie is standing up, bent over and both hands on her knees.

That’s what you get, but if this were a horror movie, I’d either be dead or running and screaming.

I knit my eyes brows together as I walk to the elevators inside the building. Why do I have to think things like that? As the doors creak open, Chrissie steps inside, anger flaring her eyes and nostrils. I quickly jump into the elevator and continually press the “close doors” button.

Her hand slips between the doors and they re-open. I press my lips into a thin line and step into a corner of the tiny box on cables.

Chrissie is fuming. She stalks into the elevator, hands clenched, and gets into my bubble.

She raises her hand and pain envelopes my face immediately as she pulls her hand away. I touch where she had just slapped me, my mouth slightly open.

“Ow,” I whisper, earning a dark chuckle from her. The elevator doors “bing” close and her eyes narrow. Her hand reaches back at my face, this time I have enough sense to grab for it. “What do you think you’re doing?” I demand, pushing her away. Chrissie takes a step back to stable herself and then steps even closer to me.

“What do you think?” a smirk plays across her lips. Her hands dart out from her sides, grabbing my wrists and silently pin them to the cold metal of the elevator. She moves her head closer to mine and for a second I think she’s going to kiss me. All that changes when I feel her warm, pulsing lips on the crook of my neck. I gulp instinctively and struggle, an unwelcome sense of dread swallowing me whole.

Utter pain breaks through me as her teeth slowly break the skin on my neck. I gasp, my brain screaming at me to do something; to make the pain stop. I struggle more, feeling her lips curve into a smile.

The elevator doors “bing” open and I look through them, out the window across the hall and at the moon, still washing everything in silver light. My mouth is wide open and I’m gasping. All struggling has stopped and I can feel my blood leaving my body. My toes are freezing cold and my head feels heavy and fogged. I can feel my heart beat slowing and I close my eyes.

I’m dying…

I exhale and go limp.