Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Fourteen

Heart Monitor

Image
banner by heartofthevampire @ the Quizilla! Forums

Hospitals. Everything about them grosses me out. The sanitizer mixed with sickness smell, the doctors that seem to know what’s best for you without actually knowing you, the white, sterile environment. Just thinking about it makes me nauseas. You can imagine my displeasure when I wake up to all of this, tubes up my nose and a needle in my arm. I look around blankly, my mind fuzzy from whatever the doctors have me on.

No one is in my line of sight. In front of me is a white wall, shadows being cast on it from the T.V. hanging on it towards the ceiling. The heart monitor to my right beeps in monotone, drowning into the background sounds of people chatting, shoes squeaking, and carts rolling. I pick my head up off of the pillow and crane my neck in an attempt to see out the open door. I furrow my brows and humph as I lay my head back down, my neck already sore from my futile attempt.

I lay there a few moments, quietly listening to the sounds of the hospital and zoning out. I endeavor to roll over, but soon find that stretching the tube on my arm causes immense pain.

“Oh! You’re awake, deary.” A tall woman with orange hair says from the door way, her Irish accent draped over each word she speaks.

“Looks like it.” I mumble, rolling my eye.

I’m not in the mood, lady.

“I’m doctor Cinick. You’ve been asleep for quite some time. Loosing the amount of blood you did, though, it’s expected.” She walks to the right side of my bed, a clipboard in hand, and smiles down at me. I turn my head the other way, causing her to chuckle. “Well, I can see you’re a bit grumpy. I’ll go get your visitors and let you be for a few.” With that, Dr. Cinick walks out of my room, tennis shoes squeaking.

I moan, not wanting to have contact with any other living organism at the moment. I close my eyes and will my self to drift back to sleep. Too soon, though, I hear high heels thud on the linoleum flooring down the hall.

“Sugar Bear!” My mother’s clear voice rings as she enters the room. I open my eyes and watch her as she plants her bum on the edge of the bed, her bobbed, curly blonde hair bouncing with each movement. She leans down, hugging me close to her chest. “I’m so happy you’re awake. I’ve been worried!” Little saltwater droplets land on my head and I heave a sigh, waiting patiently for her to release my head from her death grip.

I look past her and stare right into my father’s blue eyes. He smiles, his dimples showing on his olive colored face. Mom pulls back, looking down at me. Her rosy cheeks are tear stained and her eyes are glassy, yet smiling. Dad walks up to Mom’s side, continuing to smile at me. I smile back silently, the heart monitor still beeping in the background.

“How are you feeling?” Dad breaks the silence, placing a hand on Mom’s shoulder. She stands, making room for him to give me a hug. He leans down, wrapping me in his arms protectively as I reply.

“Weak and grouchy.”

He laughs, pulling back from me. A moment later, Dr. Cinick walks back into the room, causing both of my parents to turn towards her expectantly. She smiles warmly at all of us, holding the clipboard from before in front of her legs, crossing her arms over it. “How are you feeling?” She asks, cocking her head to the side.

“Weak and grouchy.” I repeat gruffly, narrowing my eyebrows at her.

“Sugar.” Mom whispers, looking down at me with a semi-stern expression. I shrug, not caring if I’m getting bitchy or not.

“We’re going to keep you here a few days, Jessica. We want to make sure that everything runs smoothly with the transfusions and that you don’t develop any infections.” Dr. Cinick glances down at her clipboard, flipping a sheet of paper over. “I’ll be back to check on you in a bit. Is there anything you need?” She finishes, her face serious.

I shake my head, feeling lethargic, and I watch as she leaves without another word. I turn my head towards my parents. “Do you want to sit down?” I ask, wondering why they’ve been so quiet.

Mom starts to tear up again, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a crumpled tissue. “It’s so nice hearing your voice,” she mumbles against Dad’s chest where she’s retreated to. They walk over and sit down in a chair to my left. I prop myself up unto my elbows and smile at them. They’ve always been so in love and you can defiantly tell by their mannerisms. Dad cocks his head at me questioningly, but I just shake my head in response.

“So, how long have I been here?” I query, trying to get a conversation flowing.

“Well…” Dad initiates thoughtfully, “today’s Wednesday morning. Two days.” He looks at me, a weak smile forming.

“Oh.” I breathe, sitting up straighter. I cross my legs underneath me and wrap the hospital blanket around myself. Mom looks up at me from Dad’s chest, her eyes red.

“Do you remember what happened?” She stares at me, asking the question it seems everyone has been avoiding.

“Most of it’s blurry. Chrissie was there, though, and it was late at night.” I supply, feeling uncomfortable at the topic being discussed. I look at my parents, but soon opt out to avoid all eye contact.

“The police are searching for her. Another student was coming back from a late night and found yo-“ Mom chokes off, a soft sob escaping from her lips pressed in a hard line.

Dad rubs her back comfortingly while continuing where she left off. “He found you at the bottom of the elevator, almost all blood sucked from you. He got you to the nearest hospital and they did some emergency blood transfusions. Thankfully you are here with us today.”

I sit still, thinking back to Monday morning. The heart monitor and my mom’s sobs fade into the background as the memory slowly comes back to me in pieces. As realization hits, I take a sharp breathe and reach for the side of my neck. There is no rough patch of a scab or uneven texture of a scar, just the ghost of pulsating lips attached to my neck. I shutter, feeling nauseas as torrent of emotions come back.

“Jessica!” I jump at the sound of my name, pulling on the tube in my arm again. I wince, focusing in on my mom who’s now looking at the door with shock. I look over my shoulder at Maria, Ashton, and Peter. I smile, overwhelmingly glad to see my best friend and the boys she has in tow. She leaps from the entrance to the room and onto the bed next to me, wrapping her arms around me. I do the same to her, a grin plastered to my lips. Maria pulls back, giving me a once over, and then grimaces. “You look horrible, no offense, but yeah.” She pushes her hair out of her face and just looks at me.

“Good thing we came prepared!” Ashton announces. He closes the door and walks to the left side of my bed, facing my parents.

Peter sets a plastic bag between Maria and I, a queasy look on his face.

“Are you okay?” I ask, opening the bag and looking over its contents.

“I should be asking you that.” He mumbles, pulling a chair up and sitting down heavily. “I hate hospitals.” He grumbles, gripping the arms until he white knuckles.

I laugh at him, pulling a smoothie out of the plastic bag they had brought. Just then Dad clears his throat, shifting Mom who’s still on top of him. I look up, taking a plastic container out of the bag.

“Oh! Yeah, these are my parents, Elizabeth and Jonathan. Mom, Dad, these are my friends Peter, Ashton, and you know Maria.” I gesture respectively to each person. Mom stands, dabbing at her eyes before reaching her hand over my head and to Ashton.

“Please, call me Lizzy.” She shakes his and Peter’s hands before giving Maria a hug. “It’s nice to see you, Sweetheart. How’ve you been?”

“Good, good. You?” Maria turns, positioning herself to talk to Mom. I lean back against the pillow and smile contently as Ashton strikes up a conversation with Dad, asking him what he does for a living and the alike.

Peter visible relaxes as he leans forward. “Cool beans.” He smiles at my dad.

I close my eyes, listening to them converse; grateful that the people I love are with me and that I’m actually alive to experience it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, yeah, I know that I updated this story last time (to those of you who read Hello Sunshine), but I had inspiration for this chapter and I wanted to get it down on paper before it disapeared.

Comments/subscrictions/readers are appreciated and loved! =3