Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Fifteen

Not Everything is What it Seems

“I’ll tell you what, you smuggle it in and I’ll pay for it. That way everyone is happy.” I suggest matter-of-factly, as if it’s the only answer.

“Fine, as long as I get as many sugar rolls as I want.” Ashton bargains, crossing his arms over his chest as he looks down at me with an air of superiority. One eyebrow raises, adding to that air, as he waits for my response.

“You have your self a deal, buddy!” I exclaim, reaching my hand out to him. He shakes it, a smile stretching across his face. Maria and Peter both sigh like a mother watching her child do something stupid. Mar-mar lays down a card, completing her turn in her and Peter’s King’s Corners game.

“What are you going to do if you get caught?” Maria questions, attempting to put a damper on Ashton and I’s plan.

“Oh osh posh!” I laugh, waving her off in a dismissive manner, “we won’t. Besides, if we do, Ashton can take the blame.” I smile sweetly up at him from my position on the hospital bed. The IV has been removed from my arm, seeing as how I’m awake and capable of feeding myself. This gives me the freedom to spread out on my stomach, my feet resting on my pillow.

“What?” He queries, pausing from putting his shoes back on. He had been sitting on the bed with me and I didn’t want dirt in the place I sleep.

“Oh nothing. You needn’t worry about it till it happens.” A wicked grin spreads across my face as I watch Ashton shake his head and slide his jacket on.

“Sure.” He rolls his eyes at me and sticks his hands in his jean’s pockets. He stands there, looking at me with blank eyes. I watch him watch me for a little bit until it starts to feel awkward. I shift my gaze to Maria and Peter who are in their own little world. I look back up at Ashton and grimace.

“What?” I question, sitting up and crossing my legs. I drape my blanket that Maria had brought in for me over my shoulders, feeling a shiver run down my spine. I’ve been feeling unusually cold since I entered the hospital, but nothing more clothes and a blanket can’t fix.

“Jessie, love, I need money to pay for the Chinese food.” Ashton says like he’s talking to a child. I scowl at the nickname, but reach down and pick up a pair of jeans off the linoleum floor nevertheless. I take my wallet out of the back pocket and slip a twenty and a ten out.

“Ash, this is all you get, so don’t waist it.” I hand the money him, internally laughing at his face. He likes being called “Ash” as much as I like being called “Jessie”.

“Play nicely, you two.” Peter mumbles from the chair he’s been sitting in for the last hour and a half. I glance over at him, his expression one of concentration.

“I shall return!” Ashton proclaims and with that, he’s out the door, leaving Maria, Peter, and I in my hospital room. It’s nearly silent; Mar-mar and Peter still playing cards. I bring my legs up to my chest and rest my chin on my knees. I stare at the white, undecorated wall across from me, zoning out. I drift back to Monday morning, replaying the scene in my head. All the blood I’d lost, the cold, dead feeling, Chrissie. I sigh desolately, adjusting my home-made blanket.

“Are you okay?” Maria inquires, turning her attention away from the intense card game and to me.

“I was just thinking.” I reply, not moving from my position. I look at them out of the corner of my eye.

“About Chrissie?” She asks, a cheerless expression taking over her features. I sigh again, nodding. We have yet to talk about this; part of me not wanting to, but the other part saying I must. I turn to them, sliding my legs over the side of the bed and letting them dangle there. Peter shifts uncomfortably, getting a quizzical look from Maria and I.

“I think we should wait until Ashton gets back to discuss this.” His voice soft, worried, hinting that there’s something going on.

“What are you hiding from us?” I accuse, suddenly feeling defensive. If he knows something I don’t, and it involves me, why hasn’t anyone said anything. I turn my gaze to Maria.

“Don’t look at me like that. I’m as confused as you are, yeah.” She warns, shaking a finger at me and glaring.

“Hey, don’t get snappy.” Peter says, attempting to be the peace maker. I look back at him and furrow my brows.

“I think you should tell us what’s going on.” I suggest, my voice going low and serious. Peter doesn’t get worried out of nowhere. Something has to be up.

“I really think-“ Peter’s cut off my Mar-mar mid-sentence, something she doesn’t usually do.

“I agree with Jessica. What’s going on, Pete?” She’s now facing him, concern twisting her face.

Peter sighs, an indication that we’re breaking him, and looks down. Maria leans forward, placing a hand on his knee and looks up into his face. She waits, not saying a word, and stares.

“Jessica? You remember Nanyamka, right?” He quires, looking up at me with sad eyes. I lean back, not expecting the subject of Nan to be brought up.

“Of course,” I retort, feeling a bit offended. How could I forget her? I pull the blanket tighter around my shoulders.

“You remember how she was killed?” He asks, leaning towards me a bit as he says this. I nod.

“Chrissie was the one to do it. She was hired. She’s a hit man.” Peter’s voice is just above a whisper and deadly serious. I suck in a breath, holding it, and then exhaling.

“Why?” The first question to escape my lips.

Peter shakes his head. “She was driving to talk to you when she was murdered. Our guess is that she found out something she wasn’t supposed to, knew that someone was after her, and wanted to confide in you. Chrissie was then sent after you.”

“Why now? If I did know something, you would think I would’ve told by now. I mean, heck, it’s been three years.” My voice rises in volume as I get more stressed.

“Chrissie’s been watching you for three years, making sure you haven’t said a word to anyone.

Ashton and I’s guess is that the freak out on Monday wasn’t planned. That she just got fed up with having to baby sit you and thought killing you off would be best.” His voice is still a whisper, causing Maria and I to lean in to hear him.

“Wait. How are you and Ashton involved?” Maria asks, leaning back. She turns to me and I can tell we’re thinking the same thing. “Are you…” she trails off. Both of us look back at him, fright and curiosity mixing in our expressions.

“You need to understand that we aren’t on the ‘bad side’. We were sent to help and protect you.” Peter is only looking at me now, his eye pleading. Maria jumps, coming to stand next to the bed, her hand on her chest and her eyes wide. I take a sharp breath in, the sight of fangs passing through my mind’s eye. I can only imagine the look of horror on my face. “Please,” Peter says, standing and taking a step towards Maria and I, “don’t freak out.”

“Don’t ‘freak out’?!” I question incredulously, pulling my legs onto the bed, “don’t ‘freak out’?!” My voice raises an octave as I say this. Peter puts his hands up defensively, shaking his head.

“We should’ve waited until Ashton got back.” He murmurs dejectedly, looking from Maria’s to my faces. I laugh harshly and shake my head “no”. “Please, just stay calm. When Ashton gets here-“

“No.” I say, moving off of the bed so that I have distance between Peter and I. Maria immediately comes to my side, the fear subsiding, leaving seriousness and menace on her face.

“No?”

“No. I want you to leave. Find Ashton and-“

“and what?”

Speak of the devil.

Ashton closes the door behind him, balancing a large paper bag in one arm. He quickly assesses the situation, his eyes darting from face to face. Maria backs up into me, attempting to get as much distance between herself and him.

“You didn’t.” He looks at Peter who shakes his head for the affirmative.

“Girls,” Ashton sets down the Chinese food filled bag on the swivel table attached to the bed and takes a step closer to us, like we’re frightened animals he’s trying to catch. His hands are in front of him, palms up, and he looks submissive.

“Don’t.” Maria threatens, taking a step back and pulling me with her. Ashton sighs, stepping away from us, putting his hands down.

“Okay. I don’t want to upset you.” He looks at me, but I instantly look away, not wanting to make eye contact. I remember the feeling of blood being sucked out of me and I flinch, pressing into Mar-mar. She wraps a protective arm around me, both of us cornered.

“We’ll go.” Peter proposes, taking his leather jacket off the back of the chair he had been sitting in merely five minutes ago. A soft, docile smile graces his lips when he looks at Maria. She looks back at him with a face void of emotion. Quickly, he walks past Ashton, patting him once on the back, then proceeds to leave the room.

“Jessica.” Ashton whispers, leaning in an endeavor to look into my eyes.

Maybe we should listen to him…hear what he has to say.

I look at him from the side, taking in his upset and broken face. I look away again and breathe through my nose; nostrils flaring. I listen as he sighs, his attempts at calming us obviously not working, and his foot steps echo as he walks out of the room. Maria starts to stroke my hair, still holding me. I’m shaking a bit, my body stressed and fear stricken.

“You should sit down.” She guides me to the edge of the bed and lets me lie down before sitting next to me.

Ashton…
♠ ♠ ♠
This was an intense chapter. I hope everyone liked it. Please comment! =3
As always, readers/commenters/subscribers = <3

ATTENTION
Please read my latest journal entitled "Info. on Updates"