Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Nineteen

Tell Me

Once I stared yelling at Ashton to “stop saying everything will be fine when it wont”, he figured it would be best to come over. I don’t know how he knows that the door to the second story balcony doesn’t have a lock, or how he got up there, but he does. When he got to my room, he found me crying with my knees under my chin and my hands covering my face. Putting his arm around my shoulder and hugging me to him, Ashton proceeded to console me the only way he knows how. It helped, though. It’s now going on to four o’clock, leaving me two hours to pull myself together, or at least practice faking it. We’re sitting on the balcony in the back, over looking my family’s meager backyard filled with Mom’s vivid gardens. It looks like it’s going to rain and we defiantly need it. Ashton and I haven’t really talked, which is just fine with me. It’s nice to have some company that isn’t throwing queries at me.

“Your mom must have a green thumb.” Ashton states calmly. I look at him from the corner of my eye, expecting him to be looking at me. Instead, he looks like he hasn’t moved, like he’s been sitting there since sunrise.

“She does.” I affirm, remembering past summers when she would spend all day digging in the dirt.

“I’m sorry that it wasn’t what you wanted to hear.” His voice is soft, almost a whisper, and it takes me a moment to figure out what he’s talking about. My mind feels slow, like when you try walking through mud, but your shoe gets sucked in.

“No, it’s not your fault. I’m happy you told me.” My voice is monotone, too worn-out to sound guarded. A breeze comes along, pulling at strands of my hair and dancing with them. The smell of rain hits my nostrils and I take a deep breath in, enjoying the scent. I sigh, smiling, and turn to Ashton.

“Why are you smiling?” He looks at me quizzically, probably thinking I’ve finally gone off the deep end.

“Well, it can’t get any worse.” As soon as I say this Ash knocks on wood, wincing at my words.

“Things can always get worse, Jessica.” We sit in silence, listening to the wind and just enjoying each other’s company.

“Ashton?” I start; looking forward, off into the distance. My voice is soft and I can feel myself becoming tired again.

“Yes?” His voice is even and just as soft.

“I want all the answers. No matter how frightening or uncomfortable they may be.”

He sighs. I listen as he shifts his weight and know that we’ll need all of these two hours to get all of this sorted out. “I’ll start from the beginning.” As he sorts his thoughts, I hunker down, lying on my side so that I’m facing him. “A long time ago, about the 1100s or so, a coven decided that they wanted control of all the other covens. They created a kind of vampire police force that enforced the laws they made, such as only drinking blood every two days to keep the human population growing, little to no interaction with humans unless absolutely needed, no fighting between covens, etc. Some vampires were rebellious, but only as rebellious as an angst-y teenager. Everything was fine until the 1347. The Black Plague was wiping out humans left and right and with them, vampires. Yes?”

I had raised my hand, not wanting to verbally interrupt. “I thought the Black Plague only killed humans?”

“Yes?” Ashton looks amused at my thought. There’s a coy smile on his lips and looks like I’m going to have to elaborate.

“Why were vampires dying then? I thought you guys only died with a stake to the heart?”

Ashton bursts out laughing, his body shaking he’s laughing so hard. I furrow my brows and lean up on one elbow. Once he’s collected himself he replies “I’ll talk to you about that later, okay?” I nod and he continues with his tale. “The Black Plague was killing off humans as well as vampires and the police force couldn’t control the masses any longer. Civil wars broke out between and within covens, everyone wanting more blood for himself. A rebellion started against the St. Clair clan, the ones that had started the vampire police force. Eventually, when the Black Plague had been over for quite some time, the St. Clair coven was finally thrown off of its throne. A meeting of all the elders, one from each coven, occurred. They decided to attempt to “do as the Roman’s do” and make a Republic. It worked pretty well because that’s how we operate today. Ever since they were taken out of power, though, the St. Clair’s have been trying to get back in. There’s a lot of speculation about it and no one except the elders of the St. Clair coven would ever know if any of it’s true. They’re always trying to disband rumors, but people can’t be helped. Yes?” Ashton raises an eyebrow at my once again raised hand.

“Can we finish this inside? I just felt a rain drop.” I ask, running a hand through my hair as I sit up and stretch.

Ashton looks up at the heavy clouds above us. “Sure.” We head in, going to the kitchen downstairs. Ash seats himself at the counter, elbows on the edges, and watches me with hawk eyes. I slowly shuffle around the kitchen, gathering things to munch on and some tea to drink. As I’m filling up a glass measuring cup with water, I motion for him to continue. “So, fast forward to three years ago. Nanyamka Ramsey had been working at the St. Clair estate as a maid. The current hearsay about why she was murdered is because she stumbled upon something she wasn’t supposed know. Normally, if a human finds out about vampires, whoever ousted themselves turns the person, but in this case they sucked her dry and crashed the car she was in to make it look like a car accident. By the time the elders found out, it was too late. She had been buried and died of starvation.” Ashton pauses, still watching me. I close my eyes, breath calmly, and roll my neck.

“Please continue.” I mutter, opening my eyes and going about my business.

“It’s said that she had left you clues so that you could figure out what had happened, but all the investigations have turned up nothing of use. As for Chrissie Emerson, she is currently being tried for attempting to murder you.”

“I thought it was okay for vampires to turn people?” My back is to Ashton as I take the boiling water out of the microwave and pour it over tealeaves. My voice is smooth and collected; no hint of my mini freak over the news of Nan evident.

“We do have rules, one of them being don’t go killing humans that have no reason to be killed.” His voice is crisp, a contrast to the wet pitter-patter of rain against the window. I nod, saying “oh” and waiting for him to continue. “So, yeah. That’s all I have for you about Nanyamka and Chrissie. It’s more than likely Chrissie will be imprisoned.” Ashton is quite, having finished his story, and I’m putting some crackers on a plate. I set the plate and my mug full of tea in front of a barstool next to Ashton. Taking a seat, I look over at him.

“So.”

“So.” He responds, turning to look at me. “I’m sorry. Really, I am.” I take a sip of my tea, letting the warm liquid run down the back of my throat. I don’t reply; there’s no need. “I wish I could of more help.” I peek at Ashton from over the top of my coffee cup. He’s looking absent mindedly at the plate of crackers.

“Would you like one?” I offer, nodding at the Club crackers.

“No thank you.” He murmurs, still staring at the plate. I take another sip of tea, savoring it as I look about the kitchen. Everything is either cold, stainless steal or a rich, brown wood. Glancing at the clock I realize it’s already five-thirty. “You shouldn’t eat or drink anything.”

“Excuse me?” I stare at Ashton, confusion coloring my features.

“You should stop eating and drinking human food. If you are, in fact, turning, you’ll start throwing all of it up. Your body will purge itself before you’re fully turned.” He’s looking at me with placid eyes. I set the cup down and yawn.

“If I am turning, why am I so tired?” I fold my arms over my chest and look at him with a triumphant expression.

Vampires don’t get tired. And if I was turning, I’d be running around devouring people. Ha! That just a wrench in your plans, dear Ashton.

Chuckling, Ashton shakes his head. “You have a lot to learn, Jessica.” He stands, moving towards the foyer.

“Are you leaving?” I ask, swiveling around in my chair to watch him go.

My best guy-friend stops, his back to me. I wait patiently for him to say something. “Yeah, I am. Your family will be home soon, wont they?” He turns and I give him a once over. Ashton’s hair is a mess, like usual, and his eyes shining, his lips playing a crooked smile.

I smile back. “Yeah, they will. Plus, I promised to call Maria back.” I push my hair out of my face.

“Don’t tell her I dropped by, okay? Or about what we talked.” This was more of a command then a question, but I nodded the affirmative anyway. “Besides,” his smile turns to playful smirk, “you should get some sleep. You’re getting bags under your eyes and I’d like to not be associated with tired looking people.”

“Oh please. You can defiantly leave now.” I roll my eyes and turn to look out the kitchen window. I listen as he sniggers, closing the front door behind himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is late, I know, but I didn’t get home til late last night.
Enjoy!
As always, readers/subsrcibers/commenters are loved =D