Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Twenty-Two

Convince

“Hello, may I speak with Joshua Belvidere?” I ask the assistant, my professional tone showing.

“Yes; just a moment please.” Elevator-like music starts playing in the background as his assistant connects me. I turn away from the window and look at Ashton who’s lying on my bed examining the box I got from Nan.

“Hello?” I jump a bit at Dad’s voice. He obviously doesn’t know it’s me on the other line since he’s using his professional tone as well.

“Hi Daddy. How are you?” I inquire, attempting to sound like nothings up. I’ve always been a bad liar, though.

“Not much. Work. How are you feeling?” He sounds like the concerned dad that I know; it’s interesting hearing him go from CEO to Dad in a second.

“I’m feeling a lot better. I think it’s because of all the sleep.”

“Good, good. What can I help you with?”

I take a deep breath and think about how to phrase what I’m about to tell him. “Dad?” I question timidly.

“Yes, Darling?” There’s a hint of confusion in his tone, but mostly curiosity is coloring it.

“I’m going to Ireland. I’ve always wanted to and I think it would be good for me to get out of the city. Besides, you and Mom have always wanted us kids to travel as much as we want. It’s not like I’ll be missing college anyway, seeing as how Mom cancelled this semester’s classes,” I take a moment to stare angrily out the window. When Mom had told me she had cancelled my classes, I was so thunder struck I just stared at her astonished. That is, until she tried to hug me. “so traveling abroad wouldn’t be an issue regarding my education.” I stop trying to convince him and listen. He’s silent and so is Ashton. The quite is so heavy I wonder if I went a little too far.

“You sound pretty Hell bent on going. Does your mother know yet?” Dad doesn’t sound angry and I breathe a sigh of relief.

“No. I wanted to call you first. You know telling her will be hard.” Dad chuckles and agrees. “Can I tell her that you think it’s a good idea too?”

Sighing he replies, “I guess, but telling her I agree won’t mean that she then agrees too.”

“Okay. Thank you, Dad. I love you and I’ll talk to you later.” I go to hang up the phone but hear him calling me. “Yes?” I place the phone at my ear again.

“When are you planning on going? Are you and Maria going or is it just you?”

“I was hopping on leaving as soon as possible and Maria isn’t coming. She doesn’t even know yet that I’m leaving.” I quickly answer his questions, hoping that honesty really is the best policy.

“Why are you in such a hurry to leave?” Now he sounds suspicious and I wish I had gone with Ashton’s plan of action.

“Just go. Leave a note explaining where you went and that you’ll be back soon.”

“That’s childish. I’ll call and tell them that I’m going. Besides, if I just up and left, when I got back there would be Hell to pay and Mom would’ve probably called the police, regardless of what the note said.”

“I’m nervous,” I glance over my shoulder at Ashton. He’s not looking at me, but I can tell that he’s listening intently. “Chrissie has yet to be apprehended and what if she tries to come back and finish the job?”

“Darling, I understand your concern, but the police and I are here to protect you. I won’t let her lay a hand on your head.” Dad’s talking softly and protectively. “Now, are you sure that you want to go to Ireland, let alone by your self?” I hear Dad’s hint at “by your self” in his voice, but I ignore it.

“Yes, I’m sure. It’ll be good for me.” I smile even though he can’t see it.

Sighing, Dad says it’s fine and then wishes me luck before hanging up. As soon as I hit the end button on my cell, I heave a sigh of relief and sit down in the chair I’ve been standing next to. I feel Ashton behind me and before I know it he has his arms locked around me.

“Thank you.” I whisper once he pulls away.

“No problem. It looked like you needed a hug.”

“The sooner I call her, the sooner this will be over.” I say, looking at the cell phone in my hands. My palms are getting sweaty, making it hard to have a good grip on the thing.

“Jessica?” My mom’s voice sounds flustered with just that one word.

Maybe I should ask later…

“Hi Mom. You told me to call every hour, so here I am. Calling you…on the hour…every hour…” I trail off, thinking it would be best to just stop talking.

“Yes, you are. How are you feeling?” She still sounds somewhat flustered, but she also sounds out of breath.

“I feel a lot better. It’s because of all that sleep, I bet. Have you been running?” I furrow my brows as I ask the question.

“Sort of. I’m busy right now, so I’ll talk to you in an hour. Stay safe and I love you.”

“Mom.” My voice is steady and serious as I wait for her to answer.

“Sweet heart?”

I quickly give Mom the same spiel that I gave Dad and then I wait. She hadn’t made a noise while I was talking, which is out of character for her, and I hope that that’s a good sign.

“No.” Her response is short and detached.

“Umm…why?”

“Because I said so and what I say goes.” Mom still sounds detached making me wonder what she’s doing.

“That’s not a good enough answer.” I’m starting to get agitated and Mom can no doubt hear it in my voice.

“I am your mother which means I don’t need a reason.” She’s starting to get snippy too which doesn’t help my mood.

“I’m sorry, but I’m going. I’m an adult. I can make my own decisions.” My tone is defiant and I cross my arms over my chest.

“No, you will not. Jessica, you’re only nineteen, your not an adult.” She sounds angry and finally into the conversation.

“Hello, being nineteen means that I am, in fact, an adult. I’ve legally been an adult for over a year. I’m going to Ireland. Have a nice day.” With that, I hang up with a huff. My brows are knitted together as I take out the suitcases I had unpacked a mere day ago and start shoving clothing into them in a frenzy.
♠ ♠ ♠
ATTENTION: Please read this so that you are up-to-date with what's going on with this story and Hello Sunshine. Thank you =]

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please leave a comment; they are always appreciated!