Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Three

Not my cup of tea

Image
made by MothIntoButterfly @ the Quizilla! Forums

I look up, irritated, to see a man in his early twenties pulling the chair across from me out of its place so that he can sit down. I swiftly look around Bring on the Bean! and see that there are plenty of other places to sit.

Can’t you go annoy someone else? I wonder while answering.

“Um…Sure?” I reply, my voice scratchy from not being used for a little while.

“Cool beans.” He replies while setting his cup of coffee down on the mosaic table and scooting the chair closer to me.

Oh, boy.

I pull my eyes away from this new disturbance and attempt to concentrate on my reading.
Five minutes later, I’m already standing behind the counter and taking orders while sneaking glares at the man who had driven me to start working early. I usually never start working until I have to - at 7:00. It is now 6:57 and I’m working. Do you see what’s wrong with this picture? I do.

Peter is what’s wrong with this picture.

Not even thirty seconds after sitting down he starts talking to me. Introducing himself and being all charming and such. Most sane, nineteen-year-old females would enjoy this, seeing as how he would be considered “hot”, but I don’t.

Not even close.

I have a routine where I arrive ten minutes early, get my cocoa and a newspaper, and read it in peace at my table next to the window. It’s like my time to unwind. After last night, I needed my routine, but Mr. Awesome over there would not allow that to happen.

I set the throw away coffee cup down on the counter a little too hard and watch as a small tidal wave goes over the lip of it and quickly spreads all over my working space.

“Shit!” I whisper hotly under my breath, grabbing a wet rag and mopping up the steaming mess as quickly as possible.

“What was that?” Tiffany, my manager, says, smiling sweetly at me.

You should know something about Tiff. She does not condone swearing.
At all.

“Oh snap.” I reply, attempting to not look into her honey brown eyes.

“That’s what I thought you said.” She answers.

I can hear her smile in her voice, daring me to say different.

“Here’s your Cappuccino.” I tell the women waiting patiently.

I wish I had patience like that. I think, taking the man next in line’s order.

Three o’clock couldn’t have come soon enough. Not only am I looking forward to meeting my new roommate, but it is also a gorgeous October afternoon - meant to be spent outside having fun, not inside making coffee. The warm sunshine feels great on my cream colored skin while I walk back to the University - taking my time and enjoying every minute of it.
Moving at a snail's pace, a silver BMW M6 convertible pulls up next to me.

“Hey, Jessie! Do you want a ride, yeah?”

I turn my full attention to Maria. She’s hanging her head over the side of the window; her black sunglasses perched on top of her curly mess of brown hair.

“That would be great!” I yell over the heavy metal music pumping from her speakers.
I walk over to the passenger side and hop in as elegantly as I can.

“How was your day?” she inquires, carefully pulling away from the curb.

“There was this guy. He came in and interrupted my unwinding time. The nerve of him, you know?” I say, turning down the music so that I don’t have to yell and strain my voice.

She ignores my question completely and asks somewhat excitedly, “Was he hot?”

“Well, I suppose so, but that’s not the point.” I answer, sighing.

Her signature smirk spreads wickedly across her face. “I need details. Details, yeah.”

“I don’t know Maria. He was nice and charming and he kept talking to me. Not my cup of tea.”

Maria sighs before saying “I can see that you don’t want to talk about this, at the moment, so we’ll talk later, yeah.”

I smile at her, mentally thanking those four years she spent in high school being a peer mediator. They have really paid off; she is great at compromising.

“We’ll go shopping in the mean time, yeah?” She continues, looking at me from the corner of her chocolate brown eye.

“Yeah!”

“DEB first?”

“Of course!”

Maria does a quick U turn and we head towards Macy's Herald Square.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's part three. =] Enjoy!
Also, please comment. Thanx