Pretty as a Car Crash

Chapter Seven

Beginnings

Image
made by MothIntoButterfly @ the Quizilla! Forums

When I finally get to Central Park, hot chocolate in hand, it’s 8:45 am and the park is, surprisingly, full of people. I shrug it off and wander in the direction of the nearest green-painted park bench. As I gently place my messenger bag on the bench and take out my camera from its protective bag, a cloud covers up the warm, yellow sunshine.

“Fabulous.” I say with a sigh as I gingerly take a seat next to my drink and bag. As I sit, waiting for the sun to come back out, I people watch. Somewhere between the joggers and the elderly couple, I sense a pair of eyes on me.

I survey my surroundings cautiously, but am unable to find anyone staring at me. I narrow my eyes as I look up at the sun through a canopy of green leaves. “What the heck cloud? You’ve been in the way for, like, ten minutes. Move already!” I bark, causing a mother with a baby to look at me suspiciously while she leans away from me.

I raise an eyebrow, glancing away from the woman just in time to see a soccer ball before it hit me in the face. I gasp, completely shocked, as the soccer ball rolls away, the gravel underneath it making a crunching sound. The mother with the baby is suddenly by my side asking me questions.

“Are you alright? That must’ve hurt. Do you need anything?” she asks hurriedly, panicking almost, her baby wailing all the while. Just as she lays her child in the stroller next to her, the old buggy creaking with the weight of the baby, four boys come running over, guilty looks plastered to their faces.

“Sorry,” a red-haired boy that couldn’t be older than ten mutters, picking up the gold colored soccer ball from its resting place before staring at his tennis shoe clad feet.

“It’s-it’s okay,” I stutter, the surprise of getting attacked by a soccer ball starting to wear off. The three other boys just watch me warily, not making a noise. An awkward silence falls over the six of us, the baby becoming quiet as well.

“Here, wipe the dirt off your face, dear.” The mother with wisps of strawberry blonde hair blowing in the cool breeze offers me a wet wipe as the four young boys slink away, eager to get away before someone scolds them no doubt.

“Thank you. I can handle it from here.” I respond, gingerly taking the wipe and rubbing it against my slightly numb right cheek.

She nods before turning around and pushing the stroller, its wheels rolling over dead, dry leaves in the process. I sigh, letting my right arm fall to my side as I look back up at the area where the sun should be. By now it looks like it might rain, the dark clouds completely covering the sun and darkening my environment.

“I saw what happened. Are you okay?” a male voice inquires, causing me to whip my head to the left. Sitting next to me on the forest green park bench is a man who looks to be about my age. His messy brown hair is partially in his eyes. I blink, taken aback.

When did he get here? I didn’t hear him sit down.

I slowly nod, gawking at him all the while. He smiles, staring back at me intently.

“Are you sure?” he questions, leaning towards me a bit as he says this.

“Uh, yea,” I utter, unable to think of anything else to say. It feels almost as if my mind has frozen. His blue eyes connect with mine and my breathing stops. The man quickly averts his gaze.

Maybe Maria is right. Maybe I am socially inept.

I continue to stare at his flawless complexion, my heart going into over drive.

“My name is Ashton Driscol,” he offers, looking at me once again. This time I find my voice.

“I’m Jessica Belvidere.”

Ashton smiles once more and I look away shyly, unsure of what to do next.

What the heck Jess?! Do you have cotton in your mouth? Say something, anything!

I peek at Ashton out of the corner of my eye only to find him watching me, an amused smile on his perfectly pink lips.

“Are you hungry?” he asks as I sit up straighter, turning my body to face him. The buttons on the back pockets of my jeans making a scratching noise on the metal park bench as I do so.

“Yes, actually. I am.” I confess, tucking my black, curly hair behind my left ear, smiling like an idiot all the while.

“Good.” Is all he says. He stands, reaching his hand towards me. I take it, my cheeks flushing pink, and stand as well. “Shall we go to Panera Bread?” he asks, picking up my things before walking down the gravel path in front of us.

“Oh, well,” I start, following behind him.

“Do you have a prior arrangement?” Ashton inquires almost skeptically.

“No,” I articulate, taking my messenger bag and camera case out of his hold, slinging them over my right shoulder.

“Then lets eat!” he declares, waving his hand as if to dismiss the matter. I follow slightly behind him, incapable to speak a single word.

What am I getting my self into?
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Seven! Finally!
Yea, so I don't really like this chapter, but tell me what you thought of it in the comments section
*winkwink*
PLEASE comment and/or subscribe.
=D