Status: Slightly AU - Updates are infrequent

I Wanna Be Yours

Chapter One: Back in Town

“You know, you’re being oddly okay with this whole ‘moving’ thing,” Bella murmured, staring into the dark shadows of her room. Across from her, lying awake with her arms behind her pillow, was her older sister, Avery. Blinking into the dark, Avery sighed and turned to face Bella. Her younger sister watched her with knowing eyes, worrying her bottom lip.

Avery pursed her lips and shrugged. “I don’t know, Bells. I mean, yeah, it sucks we gotta leave but...there’s not much here for us, anyway,” Avery paused, hearing Phil’s boisterous laughter down the hall. She grimaced and lowered her voice. “You know me and step-dick don’t get along, and you’re absolutely miserable at school, so why stay? Besides, Mom’s leaving, anyway.”

Bella was quiet for a bit, and Avery had almost thought her younger sister had drifted off, until Bella’s soft voice broke out through the dark room. “I’m nervous, Av. I hate being the new girl. You remember dance class…”

“You were seven, Bella. And, besides,” Avery muttered. “Those girls were evil, little bitches. I swear, half of them had to be possessed.”

A small snicker escaped Bella’s lips, and Avery silently patted herself on the back. The older Swan sister always prided herself on being the only one to ever really bring a genuine smile out of her younger sister. Bella had a habit of being a bit too...stoic, for lack of a better term.

“Look, Bells, I promise you’re gonna do fine, okay? No one is gonna screw with you, especially with me around. You know I have no problem kicking some junior ass, right? Right. See, nothin’ to worry about. I got your back, kid,” Avery turned onto her opposite side and pulled her comforter up to her ears. “We got a big day tomorrow. Get some rest.”

Minutes passed before Bella said anything. “Thanks, Av.”

Avery smiled into her pillow. “You’re welcome, Bells.”

---


The Next Day


Forks, Washington: a small, gloomy, logging town with a population of less than four thousand, now including Avery and Bella Swan.

Trees were everywhere, surrounding the houses and lining the roads. The air was crisp and wet, and the ground was either frosted soil or slick ice. Gray, heavy clouds loomed overhead, casting a foggy shadow across the entire town. It was dark in comparison to Arizona, and Avery wondered if the sun ever really shined here.

After a car ride filled with awkward conversation and uncomfortable silence, Charlie Swan, their father, quietly led the two sisters into the dimly-lit home. It smelled of dust and wet carpet, and Avery smiled, remembering how many fun Christmases she’d spent here as a young child. Bella was a bit put off by the pictures of the two of them in their younger years hanging on the walls.

Avery snorted at a picture of Bella, back from when her passion was dancing, and gave her younger sister a look. “Remember when you used to be cute, Bells?”

Bella ignored her sister, opting for an eyeroll, and Avery grinned. Charlie, after putting away his things, returned to the living room. “Well, girls,” Charlie murmured, gaining their attention. “I cleared out the shelf in the bathroom and, uh, Bells,” Bella lifted her head and glanced at her father. “I put Grandpa’s old desk in your room. I figured you’d use it more than Av, anyway,” He turned to his eldest daughter with an impish grin. “No offense, or anything.”

Avery smirked and gently patted her father on the shoulder. “No worries, Pops. I’m gonna go put my stuff up,” Avery turned to her sister. “You comin’, Bells?”

Bella nodded, smiling politely at their father before following Avery upstairs. The first room, on the right, was obviously their father’s, labeled as such with all all too cliche “Gone Fishin’” ornament hung on the door. Avery quietly snorted, oh, Dad.

The next bedroom, on the left, was undecidedly Bella’s room. The walls were painted a light mint color, and purple sheets lined her bed. And in the corner of the room, as their father had promised, was their grandfather’s old antique rolltop desk. “It’s…,” Avery looked around, raising her eyebrows in approval. “Not that bad, actually. I guess Pops knows a thing or two about interior decorating, huh?”

“Guess so,” Bella smirked, turning back to her older sister. “This was your old room, right?”

Avery nodded. “It sure as hell didn’t look like this, though.”

“Did you…” Bella hesitated, glancing between her sister and the newly designed room. “Did you want it back or-”

“Bells, this room is for you. Why do you think Gramps’ old desk is already in here? Besides,” Avery grimaced, glaring at the lavender bed sheets. “I hate purple.”

“That’s true,” Bella agreed, setting her bag gently on her bed.

Avery watched her from the doorway. Bella was silent on the plane ride, and even quieter on the ride from the airport. It wasn’t uncommon for Bella to be a bit introverted, but Avery noticed an odd...edginess to her movements. Something was off.

Bella turned, facing her observant sister and furrowed her brow. “You okay, Av?”

“Are you?” Bella looked questioningly at her sister and Avery sighed. “You’ve been jerky all day, Bells. You’re more clumsy than usual and you haven’t said one word to Dad. What’s going on, kid?”

Bella shrugged, hesitantly replying, “I’m fine, sis. Just a little tired, I guess.”

“Bella-”

“Hey, you should go check out your room,” Bella said suddenly, interrupting her sister. “Dad probably made it look awesome.”

Avery eyed Bella for a bit longer before sighing, nodding her head. “Alright, Bells. I’ll see you before you go to bed.”

“Why?” Bella grinned. “You gonna tuck me in?”

Avery snorted, flicking her sister on the shoulder. “You love it,” She winked at her younger sister before quietly closing the door behind her, leaving Bella to unpack.

---


A low whistle left Avery lips as she entered her bedroom. “Nice job, Pops,” She grinned, dropping her bag onto her bed just as Bella had done.

The walls were painted a dark blue, reminding her of the night sky, and her bed sheets were the color of cream. On the wall beside her was a small closet and across from it was a dark, mahogany dresser. The room looked differently since she’d last been here, mostly because she remembered it as Bella’s old nursery.

“Hm,” Avery said quietly. “That’s new.” Across from her bed was a large bay window, overlooking the vast woods that came up only meters away from the edge of the house. It was a beautiful view.

“I figured you’d like it,” A gruff voice murmured from the doorway. Avery turned and grinned at her Dad who leaned against the door frame. “Yeah, it took some time to put in but…”

“It’s great, Pops,” She murmured, returning her gaze out the window. “It makes the room a bit more...open, you know? Spacious.”

Charlie nodded. The daughter and father remained quiet for a few minutes, and Avery had assumed her father had left until he finally spoke up. “Hey, Av, listen...look, I know you’re eighteen and, uh, I know you’re gonna wanna do your own thing, but…there’s still some rules, you know...”

Avery grinned. “I hear ya, Dad. No smoking, no drinking, no drugs, no...sex. I get it. Believe me,” She paused. “But, Bella...well, you might wanna worry about her. She’s a bit of a wild child.”

Charlie snorted. “Yeah, I’ll believe that when I see it,” The two grinned at one another before Charlie tapped the door and sighed. “Well, anyway, I’m glad you, uh, understand...you’re a good kid, Av.”

Avery smiled at her father. “Thanks, Pops.”

Charlie nodded and quietly left, and Avery shook her head. That man can’t hold a damn conversation to save his life, but he always says the right things, She thought lightly.

Avery gazed through her window for a bit longer, watching the gray skies fall to black and the stars appear from behind the clouds. Now, blissfully, she figured it was time to begin and unpack her things. Most of her clothing consisted of sweaters and jeans, hoping to keep warm in this cold weather, but she also agreed to being a few nice dresses (her mother’s advice), along with a few pairs of shorts. She had to look nice for her first day as a senior, right?

Avery rolled her eyes. High school was immensely overrated, in her opinion, and having to spend another year in that hell was not the first thing on her “I Can’t Wait To Do This” list. Either way, the upside was that it was her last year. After this, her life could finally begin.

Folding the last of her clothes, Avery changed into some pajamas and shuffled down the hall, peeking into Bella’s room. Her sister, equally as exhausted as she was, was curled up underneath her purple blankets and softly snoring. Avery grinned, blowing her snoozing sister a kiss before shutting off the light and closing the door.

She yawned; it was time for her to catch some sleep of her own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Avery

Hey, everyone! Thanks for reading, and don't forget to comment, recommend, and subscribe.

xx,
Mind_Riots