Grind on Me

Grind On Me

Small shows were always great. They put everyone in a good mood and allowed a perfect interval before and after the show to talk to fans. Bigger gigs made that more difficult what with so many people being present.

The Motionless boys were enjoying such a moment. They had more than a few minutes to spare after getting ready and were waiting outside their trailer with a group of kids, most of which were more than happy to just be standing there with them.

Ghost already had his bass out and was plucking arbitrarily at the strings. He was swaying to some song he had playing in his head that no one else could hear, but it was past the point of acknowledgment as everyone understood that he was, either, simply crazy and it was best to leave him be or that he had a little boom box implanted in his brain and was just rocking out. Ryan and Angelo were still getting ready on the bus while the bassist, Ricky, Chris and Balz were mingling with fans outside.

Well, Chris and Balz were. Ghost’s phantom jam session was still in progress while Ricky could be found keeping a casual distance from the excitement. He was leaned against the side of the building with his guitar. He was just waiting for the word…

A girl gained Chris’s attention, asking him to sign some memorabilia for her and her friend. Balz was already occupied with two girls and a boy who was, apparently, a brother. They wanted a picture and the keyboardist was happy to oblige. That was when one noticed Ricky in the corner of the photo and immediately knew what she wanted.

“Can you get Ricky? I’m gonna make my sister so jealous!” She grinned at the very idea.

“Uh,” Balz had not realized Ricky was not even socializing. He was not surprised when he turned around, though.

“Yeah, sure,” he smiled a little quirky smile and observed the guitarist on his way to the steps.

He appeared to be zoning out, which was, again, not a shocking surprise. Balz swore he was more preoccupied with his own thoughts than the music half the time. There was always so much buzzing in Ricky’s skull that Balz was glad he did not overthink things like that. It was too much work and too many people bitching at you when they realized you were not listening.

Balz did not overthink things, no. He was not often distracted by his own mind, but he was plagued with the curse of imagining bizarre things based on what he perceived. This way of thinking led him to many an image he could never un-see, and such a path led him to his next point: Ricky’s girlfriends surely had their work cut out for them; sex had to be an absolute chore to elicit from him.

Only the most determined and direct woman could easily get what she wanted from him, undoubtedly. And just like that, it was like a cartoon light bulb burst to life over Balz’s head as a smirk slipped across his face.

Calmly walking up the stairs, Ricky’s clouded gaze drifted over to him without any genuine recognition of his presence. Balz, seeing this dazed look in his eyes, tilted his head in an attempt to earn his full attention. He would still do what he planned to regardless of his response, but a captive audience was always the preferred turnout. This, of course, failed on Ricky but some of the fog cleared from the pools of blue. It was perfect, in all honesty; just dazed enough to take some time understanding exactly what was happening.

Ricky understood too late.

Balz leaned back, raising his arms and throwing his hips out. Chris turned around at just the right moment to see the amazing stupidity commencing before him as Balz made a few proper thrusts at the lucky air particles that got to receive action. All the while Balz kept eye contact to allow the full force of the gesture to completely freak Ricky out.

“Oh, wow...!” Chris exclaimed and laughed with immature retorts already surfacing in his mind to use against them later.

“Come on,” Balz ceased his thrusting and gestured with his hands for Ricky to follow him.

Ricky, however, stared at him. Confused and a little disturbed, Ricky decoded the reason for his presence being wanted for things that only served to scare him further. No, Ricky would definitely not be going with Balz.

He took a step away from his band mate, and then another. Balz still had not realized the gravity his action had and tried to persuade him otherwise.

“Come on, Rick, I really need you – just for a second.”

Nope.

Ricky turned on his heels and rammed the club’s back entrance open with his shoulder, fleeing into the building.

“Aw!” Chris laughed, “better luck next time, buddy!”

Balz just stood there in confusion.