Status: one shot

Highway Don't Care

x

The confusion in her mind was running over and over again, and it was like the same thoughts would appear over and over again. The words “I never said it was your mistake” in Alex’s voice appeared over and over again in her head. Repetition was a big part of radio friendly music and yet, she never realized exactly how annoying it could be to have something repeat in her head with no real conclusion. His exact meaning didn’t seem to appear to her and she couldn’t figure it out. Her mind spun and she knew that she needed some time to think. The car was waiting for her and usually, it was expected for the blonde woman to get in the back but she waved her security guards off. “I need some time to think. Try not to tail me.”

The guards exchanged looked before stepping aside for the tall blonde to take the wheel and shut the door behind her. She tossed her cell phone into the shotgun seat, placing her purse over it and starting the car up. The phone lit up, buzzing with the song she had set for her Alexander. Her face turned into a grimace as she reached over to pick it up, pressing ignore before the car lurched forward. Her thoughts still swirled around and would keep picking up in her head and all she could think was that she needed to get her mind off of the man who had caused this mess in her head. She reached over to the radio dial, pressing it. The sounds of her own voice filled the car, an older song of hers. Her stomach churned as her voice sang out, “And you tell me bout your dreams, think I know where you belong, think I know it’s with me…”

Her phone rang again and she growled as she took her eyes off the road again to press ignore on the phone. She wondered if she should have taken Selena’s call before she looked up to the road again, swearing under her breath as she swerved to avoid crashing into another car. The yell from the other car was clearly calling her crazy before the voice falter as they noticed who was in the car. She figured she would have to go out of her way to avoid the stalking, frowning as her voice ended and another song started up. It was another love song, another one that she didn’t want to think about. Her heart rammed as the chorus hit up, the lyrics seeming to remind her again of what she was trying to run away from. She shook her head before changing the station.

It was like a sick joke as her own voice appeared again. “I can’t live without you, I can’t live without baby.” She nearly swerved off road in her own anger and shock as she turned the radio off. It was like nothing she could do would escape the thoughts of the implications of what Alex said. She had sworn she wouldn’t date again and had sworn she wouldn’t get caught up in the mess of feelings again. She didn’t want to get swept away again, didn’t want to lose her head in being swept off her feet. Her heart sank as she realized just then she had made an error in her attempt to run from all feelings: she had already fallen for Alex.

She thought over everything that they had done together, thought carefully over the way she smiled at him, over the fact she never thought of anyone but him when she was with him. It was far too late to say she didn’t want to fall in love again - she already had. She swore under her breath again reaching over the seat to grab the phone when she realized that it must have fallen off the seat. She glanced over at the seat and leaned over to grab her phone from where it had fallen. The trouble was, she had taken her eyes off the road for far too long.

The minute she glanced up, it was too late. The blonde had already careened off the road and she screamed as she saw it was far too late to turn back into the road. She smashed forward into the tree, her head banging against the steering wheel and her seatbelt dug into her to the point where she found it difficult to breathe. The air bag filled and her breathing was hard as the shattered glass from the window found its way into her skin. She groaned as she briefly thought about how she would probably be taken to the hospital by her bodyguards before remembering she had told them not to follow her.

She wondered how long until someone would find her and her phone rang again. Her heart ran up as she reached over to grab her phone. It was Alex, she realized. She sighed slightly as she picked it up and said, “Alex… Alex, I got in a wreck and I’m… I dunno where I am…”

He was silent on the other end before he spoke. “I’ll be there in a second. Don’t move.”

She shook her head, uncertain if she could move. She looked over at her arm and grimaced because she wondered how she even managed to move her arm. The sound of sirens happened after what seemed like days though the reality is that it was probably only hours. Alex’s voice seemed distant as he said something about it being okay - the blonde’s thoughts were slurring and slowing. She wondered if this was the end and she wondered if anyone would even be upset by this end. The world went black.
----- time skip -----

The sounds of beeping were the first senses that the twenty four year old blonde heard. She could smell medicine and the sting of it hit her throat. She coughed slightly as her eyes managed to open. The ceiling was a plain white color and she could feel a slight discomfort in her upper arm. She looked over to her bed side and saw the frame of a six foot one man with sculpted arms and a baseball cap over his eyes. “Alex?”

He seemed to wake from his sleep but the truth was that he never went to sleep. He was too worried about Taylor. He sat up, grinning at her. “Hey there, babe.” The babe comment caused Taylor’s stomach to churn and her heart monitor picked up her quickening pulse. How embarrassing. He raised an eyebrow. “I hope you’re okay. I mean… you looked pretty beat up when they took you out of the car. You haven’t woken up for three whole days.”

Taylor ran a hand through her hair as she sat up, biting her lip. “Three days?” She swore under her breath, looking around. She must have missed so many events she had promised to attend and worried her mother. She looked back at Alex. “How long have you been sitting there?”

Alex turned rather red, and he looked away from her. He mumbled something under his breath, knowing she couldn’t hear him. He looked up at her before he finally repeated himself. “The past three days.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Three days? Alex, you didn’t have to do that!”

Alex sighed and nodded. “You don’t think I know that,” he asked her, standing up and moving over to her bed. “I’ve been thinking and wondering what if I had acted like a normal human being and hadn’t sprung my feelings on you in that way and I think if I had done it a normal way, you wouldn’t have gotten in this crash.”

Taylor sighed, her chest hurting from this action. She reached up to gingerly touch at her ribs, wondering what happened with that. “It’s not like that,” Taylor said to him, looking over at him. “I mean, I would’ve gotten into that crash anyway because I’m not a very good driver.”

Alex shook his head. “You wouldn’t have gone driving if I hadn’t dropped that on you and you decided you need to think away from me.”

Taylor swore again, her heart rate causing the monitor to beep quickly as she slammed her fist down onto the bed. “Alexander William, you and I both know I would have eventually done something stupid like that.” Alex shook his head as she swore again. “Alexander, you seriously can’t blame yourself for that.”

“Well, I am,” he said as a nurse came in to check on Taylor and the nurse smacked Alex upside the head. He reached up to his head, looking up at the nurse. “What the hell was that for?”
“You were supposed to come let us know if she ever woke up! You know she has bruised ribs and a concussion!”

Taylor raised an eyebrow at the nurse. “A concussion? Bruised ribs?” She paused. “Well that explains why my ribs hurt but I don’t remember hitting my head.” The nurse took about an hour to examine Taylor before she left. Taylor had asked her twice to remove her IV but each time the nurse said that she still needed to be hooked up to it. She swore under her breath when the nurse left. “I can’t believe I have to stay here overnight. I don’t think that’ll be fun.”

Alex grinned at her. “I’ll stay with you as long as I can, okay?”
Taylor looked over at him, smiling. “Come up here. I could use one of your famous cuddles.”
---- time skip ----

About three days later, Taylor was allowed to leave the hospital with a clean bill of health. The minute she and Alex left together, the paparazzi were waiting outside to snap pictures of the pair. Alex’s arm wrapped protectively around Taylor, as if he was trying to shield her from the paparazzi. He pressed a kiss to her cheek, looking over at the paparazzi as if daring them to photograph them. He guided her to the car where the bodyguard held the car door open for her. Taylor stepped, reaching for Alex with a desperate need. He climbed in after her, pulling her into a tight hug. “Better?”

Taylor nodded, looking up at him. “I think… I think that maybe… it wasn’t your mistake.”

Alex looked perplexed. “What do you mean,” he asked before she leaned in and kissed him. Her arms wrapped him, smiling softly as he raised an eyebrow. “It… so you mean… I’m yours.”

Taylor nodded, smiling. “Yeah. You’re mine.”