The Charity of Saint Elizabeth

Act I of II

Strangled sobs ring out in the dark of Parker Case's bedroom. He's hugging my old hoodie to his chest, tears running down his face and soaking the sleeve. All the lights are out besides the lamp on his bedside table that illuminates a picture of us. It's from a Jack's Mannequin show four months ago. He's kissing me on the cheek, the camera just high enough to catch Andrew's feet on the stage.

"Oh Lynn, why'd you have to leave us? Why'd you have to leave me?"

I feel so bad just standing here watching him cry. I want to hold him, to stroke his hair and tell him he'll be okay.

If only I wasn't dead.

You see, a week and a half ago today I was stabbed in a fight and ended up dying in Parker's arms.

Two days ago they had my funeral.

I don't want to go to heaven or hell. I just want to stay here as a ghost and watch over Parker. I spend most of my time here making sure he doesn't do anything drastic like try to kill himself. Though, even if I wasn't watching him, I think he'd be okay. Jamison stops by daily to check up on him. Make sure he's eating, that he hasn't attempted to OD on pills or anything like that.

But deep down, I don't think he'd be able to go through with it. He wants to keep living for me. Such a sweetheart.

"Lynn, I know you can hear me. I miss you so much babe. You were too young. Why'd God have to take you from me? I...I wanted to be with you forever Lynn..."

Oh Parks, I'm right here. My gaze turns to the window and I reach out a hand, placing it on his shoulder even though I know he can't feel it. I hate to see him so depressed.

It's suddenly way too silent. I look down and see that he's fallen asleep curled up against my hoodie. If only I could wipe away those still warm tears. There's really no use in me staying all night, so I decide to leave through the window. It's not like he can off himself while he's sleeping. Besides, there's someplace else I need to go that I haven't had the chance to check since I died. Something I need to know...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lynn Adriana Case
December 21 1987 - October 19th 2008
I Finally Saw What I Needed To Believe


I almost can't believe it. Kneeling down on the cool earth, I run my fingers over the last name on the stone. They actually let him do it...

Did I fail to mention Parker and I were about to get married?

I know we're I'm a good deal younger than him, but it felt so right. There wasn't a shot in hell Parker and I were going to leave each other. We were dating long before JamisonParker started to get noticed. When were younger we always entertained childish thoughts of marriage and what it would be like. How awkward our elder family members would feel because of the age difference. How I would just buy the most gorgeous sundress I could find and wear it instead of a wedding dress. How we'd write our own vows.

And now, all because of one stupid fight I just had to get into, all of those dreams are gone. Parks is alone, and I'm dead. Tragic or what?

I slump back against the stone and glance around at the flowers. I can tell which ones are from my parents because the arrangement is like an explosion of color. The ones from the guys' families are mostly the same.

But Parker's, Parker's stands out. Ninety nine percent of the flowers he used are red, and they're all roses. There has to be at least sixty or so roses in the whole arrangement, and right in the middle is one single unopened white rose. Tons of true love with a dash of purity. Now I'm really upset over the fact that we never had the chance to get married before I was killed.

The ring is still on my finger. Mine is white gold, Parker's is yellow gold. We were going to get them engraved the night before the wedding, with lyrics from "Here's Everything I've Always Meant To Say". I always loved Parker's old band. It was so...so damn perfect.

Shit. I'm totally crying right now.

I don't deserve all this love. It's my own fault I was killed. All because some bitch insulted Parker and I for a little PDA.

What was I supposed to do, though? Sit back and let people insult me?

No. No, I should've just walked away. It was bound to happen. If I'd walked away, I'd still be alive, and Parker and I would be celebrating being a married couple rather than him lying around the house mourning me. Fuck...

"I've got it!"

I pulled Parker closer as we walked down the street. The index finger on the hand he has intertwined with mine absentmindedly strokes the band on my ring finger. Only one more week and we'd be married. I would become Lynn Case.

"What, babe?"

"The lyrics, for our rings. 'If I don't make your heart skip a beat, then hate me.' From 'Here's Everything Meant To Say'. What do you think?"

"It's perfect Parks," I kissed him on the cheek, "Perfect words from my perfect future husband."

"I'm perfect am I? What kind of wife are you going to be, then?"

After a quick glance to make sure no one was around I grabbed Parker's wrists and roughly pinned him up against the nearest wall, my lips going straight for his neck.

"A very dominant wife," I whispered against the warm skin. I nipped lightly at his neck, smiling when I hear him moan. His hips ground down on mine while I bit and kissed his sensitive skin. I released one of his wrists, and his hand was soon tangled up in my hair.

"Get a room, assholes."

We turned and saw a girl about two years older than me, her gaze dark and angry.

She
DID NOT just call us that.

I broke away from Parker and crossed my arms. "That's funny, I swear I just heard you call me and my fiance assholes."

"You got a hearing problem, bitch? Yeah, I called you assholes."

Parker tugged on my sleeve. He never was one to fight. "Lynn, come on. Let's just go."

"Why don't you listen to your fuck buddy and leave?"

I didn't even need to think about it. My fist connected with her jaw before you could blink. Nobody insults Parker in front of me. I'd punch my own grandfather if he ever said something to Parker.

She tackled me to the ground, scratching at my face with rough nails. Ugh, I'm probably going to get an infection from this whore. Parker was yelling at us to stop, yelling at me that we need to get back home. I tried to push the girl away, but she wouldn't let go. I aimed another punch at her face and missed.

"Get the fuck off me!"

In the next five seconds my body is only aware of two things.

The sound of Parker screaming my name at the top of his lungs.

And the feel of cold steel in my chest.

"Lynn!"

He didn't even try to take down the girl, who had run right after I began to bleed. Parker's safe arms were soon hugging me close to his chest, warm tears dancing down his cheeks and splashing onto my bloodstained shirt.

"Oh God Lynn, please stay with me. Please don't die..."

A weakened hand reached up to touch Parker's cheek, which he quickly set his own hand on top of. I could already feel myself growing colder.

"Parker. Parker, it hurts so bad."

"I know babe, I know. You gotta hang on though. I'm going to call an ambulance for you, okay?"

I touched my fingers to the wound, feeling the blood trickle between my fingers. I shook my head and opened my mouth to speak. My lips felt heavy. It felt like I could barely form words.

"Parks, forget it. I-I won't make it."

Parker's fingers quickly punched in 9-1-1 on his Sidekick, shaking his head wildly. "Don't say that Lynn! You're going to be fine. Just...just hang on, please."

My mind is slowly slipping into darkness, and Parker is starting to become nothing more than a dusty haired blur. He's speaking into the phone now. All I can make out is 'girlfriend' 'stabbed' 'please hurry' and '32nd street'.

"Parker, I feel so tired. I have to close my eyes."

Parker's eyes widened and he kissed my forehead.

"Lynn, you can't. Just stay awake for me baby. You can do it."

"Parker, I can't."

There's an uneasy silence between us. He knows that by the time they get here, I'll be gone. I'm going to die on this street.

"I love you so much Parker."

I picked my head up as far as I could and Parker met me halfway in the most passionate kiss we'd ever shared. His lips feel so soft and warm. If I hadn't been dying, it would have been the perfect moment.

The last thing I see are his gorgeous tear filled eyes.

The last thing I feel is him smoothing my hair back from my forehead.

The last thing I hear is his sweet voice.

"I love you too Lynn. I love you too."


I sigh and toss my head back against my gravestone. Why'd I have to be so stupid?

Suddenly, there's this freaky feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like someone is reeling me in on a fish hook. After a quick glance down at my hands, I see that they're starting to fade away.

What the hell is happening to me?