Love Buzz

Something In The Way

“That’s him.” A raspy feminine voice said as ashes from a cigarette fell onto the photo of a smiling blond, thin man. The woman grinned wryly as she brought the cigarette back up to her lips, inhaling the smoke deeply and thinking of the man in the photograph. A man walked back across the room, a bottle of nightrain dangling precariously from his fingers. He briefly looked at the picture lying on the old, dirty coffee table and nodded grimly.

“I know him.”

Courtney exhaled, blowing smoke and putting her cigarette out into the ashtray. To say that she wasn’t feeling her best would be the understatement of the century. She liked to think that the last time she was feeling “her best” was a little over two years ago, before she met the blond-headed pussy. He was responsible for making her life the hell that it is, never mind her heroine or cocaine addiction or her alcoholism. It was his fault, there was no way around it, and the only way to fix it was to get rid of him. The man walked back to the corner of the room that he had came from, taking a swig from the wine bottle in his hand. The sunlight from the window shone onto him, highlighting his long, red hair and making his pale skin seem even paler.

“How much?”

The question seemed abrupt, but the man had been fully expecting it. He stood silent by the window for a few minutes before turning back to Courtney.

“I’ll be nice and go for two million for a pretty lady like you.”

Courtney smiled again, looking at the man standing by the window. They had only met properly about twenty minutes ago, but she could see herself forming a fairly strong bond with him. And she would have to, the kind of work he does. She didn’t want to get on his bad side.

“I’ll take it.”

The man by the window smiled at her as he took a swig from the bottle of Nightrain in his hand. The deal was done.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this is ridiculously late.
I've had a writer's block for the past few months and kind of forgot about this story.
So here's kind of like a "Meanwhile..." scene to help tide you over until I get back in my groove.