Love Buzz

Preparation (H).

Ring.
Ring.
Ring.

“I’m going to kill my phone,” I thought vaguely to myself as the loud, screechy ring of the phone permeated the air and assaulted my ears. I groaned, pushing my upper half off of the floor to stand up and answer the communication device. But before I could even take a step towards it, I heard another set of shuffling footsteps reach the phone and pick it up.

“Hello?” Kurt’s voice answered the phone and shutting it up. I stood confused; how did Kurt get inside? Did he sneak in through the chimney like a real slim Santa Claus? Did he break a window somewhere? Or was I being an idiot and I accidentally left the front door unlocked again? I could feel a lightbulb go off in my head, inducing a very “Duuuuh” feeling. Memories of the night before flashed through my mind, making my cheeks warm up. I remembered now; he had stayed the night for the first time in our relationship.

“Dave, Krist says we have to get our butts over to his house to help pack the van or else he’ll leave without us,” Dave called out to me, trying to surpress a laugh. I could vaguely hear a faint “And I’ll do it too!” on the other line of the phone, and I rolled my eyes.

“I’d like to see him try,” I teased, rocking back and forth on the heels of my feet, grinning with a dog-eat-dog sly smile. “He may be unusually tall, but he doesn’t have extra limbs to play the bass, guitar AND the drums.” Kurt smiled back at me, and then put the phone back up to his ear.

“We’ll be there, Krist! Don’t have an aneurysm, okay?”

There was more yelling from the other end of the phone, but Kurt placed the communicational device back in the cradle too fast for me to actually listen. There was a silence as Kurt and I grinned at each other before breaking out into a fit of the giggles. Kurt’s hand flew to his mouth in an attempt to stifle his laughter, but it was too late; it had escaped and it was contaminating the whole room and everyone in it, namely me. Suddenly, something happened. It happened so fast I couldn’t stop it, and it was unreturnable.

“Did you just snort?!” Kurt asked me, laughing so hard that he had to hold onto the counter for support. All I could do was just stand there, horrified and mortified that I had let such a dorky noise escape my nose. Note to self; you get embarrassed way too easily. “That is so adorable,” he continued, leaning up to give me a kiss.

Note to self; Snort more.

Kurt pressed himself against me, wrapping his arms around my neck and giving me separate pecks on the lips instead of just one long kiss. I couldn’t tell which I liked better; I supposed I just liked the fact that he was kissing me at all.

“I love you, Dave.”

My heart stopped beating for a second; I still wasn’t used to hearing that from him, but it gave me a high better than pot did, so I wasn’t complaining. I kissed the top of his head, resting my chin on the top of his forehead.

“I love you, too.”

I could have stayed like that forever with him, just in Kurt’s arms in my kitchen on a Thursday morning. But like all things, that moment ended way too soon. Kurt let go of me and stepped back after giving me one last kiss.

“Come on, we have to go over to Krist’s before he casts away all of our possessions like we aren’t worth anything.”

“Krist, you better have a good excuse for this,” I warn jokingly as I pulled into Krist’s driveway where he was loading the van. Krist gave me a funny look as he stuffed another amp into the back of the van. I cut the engine and got out of the car. The sun beat down on my back as the chilly wind blew about me, rustling my hair. I had gotten out just in time for Krist to yell back,

“Why, were you getting some of that sweet Cobain ass?”

Anger flared up within my stomach even though I knew he was joking. I gritted my teeth and smiled, shaking my head, my tennis shoes scuffing against the pavement. I was pretty sure that’s how Krist was going to die one day; saying the wrong thing at the wrong time all the while being unbearably creepy. Krist made an orgasm face just to spite me, but I ignored it as Kurt finally got out of the car after me.

“I got tangled in the seat belt,” he announced, making the most shamed face that I have ever seen. I couldn’t help but giggle at him as he walked up the driveway to where Krist and I were standing, earning me a punch in the arm.

“Yeah, I don’t blame you,” Krist said after a moment’s thought. “Dave’s car is a screaming metal death trap.” I glared at him.

“You try affording something better when you’re almost dirt poor,” I glowered, walking back and patting the car on the hood. “Besides, my baby Shiela has history.”

“Dude, face it,” Krist told me, shutting the door to the back of the van. “My truck can kick your car’s ass before it can even sputter ‘You stupid whippersnapper!’”

I couldn’t hold back a sneer as I opened the door to get into the van. “Your Dodge shouldn’t be going around and beating up senior automobiles, Krist.” I stepped into the van and shut the door behind me.

“You know that my Dodge is badass. Thanks so much for the help on loading the car.” Krist commented, climbing into the driver’s seat.

“No problem.”

Krist started the van, hearing it sputter to life. I sat back and stared out the window as Krist backed the car out of the driveway. Suddenly, I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, like something or someone had gotten left behind. I looked around the van in wonder until I finally asked as Krist approached the freeway,

“Krist, where’s Kurt?”

Krist kept his eyes glued to the road, not even turning his head to acknowledge me. His hands tightened on the steering wheel, and I could have sworn that if that Mazda Miata wasn’t in front of us, he would speed up so fast it would make my hair curl.

“What do you mean, where’s Kurt?”

“I mean that he’s not here right now,” I replied, half-heartedly lifting up a dictionary (god knows why he has one in his van) in an “attempt” to look for our blonde, scrawny lead singer also known as my boyfriend. “I think we accidentally left him in the bathroom at your house again.”

Krist sighed, his shoulders sagging as he looked for an exit off of the freeway.

“I go to the bathroom for a minute, and you decide to completely ditch me?” Kurt asked playfully, grinning as he stood up on the doorstep as we pulled back into the driveway. How could he be smiling? Krist and I had almost left him to go play as an instrumental Nirvana all across the country! Looking at Kurt incredulously, I remembered that he was insane from being okay with me forgetting his birthday to almost leaving him behind, and then all my questions were answered.

“I’m sorry, Kurt,” I apologized breathily, as if I were exhausted. I glared at Krist while continuing, “Someone just had to look at their wrist and assume that we were late.” Krist glared back at me, muttering something under his breath and kicking at the pavement. Kurt shrugged.

“It’s cool. Just remember to apologize to me in full later,” Kurt replied to me, winking and poking my chest, causing my cheeks to tinge red and Krist to make fake retching noises. I don’t know how, but suddenly, a rock magically started to float and then fling its way over to Krist’s head…oh wait, I remember now, I threw it at him. I grinned to myself, satisfied when I heard the ‘thud’ of the rock connecting with Krist’s forehead.

“Ow,” Krist whined, bringing both of his hands up to where I had struck him. “My forehead’s still sore from the infamous bass toss! You might have given me brain damage!” he continued dramatically, dropping to his knees. I raised my eyebrows at him and smirked for all smirking was worth.

“I don’t think your brain can get anymore damaged, Krist. It’s virtually impossible now,” I told him, laughing at his theatrical production of his pain. Krist gave me a middle finger and his creepiest glare before Kurt tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, half expecting him to rip his shirt off and demand that I take him now (woah, what?), but saw that his shirt was still in tact and he was just looking at me. Oh, well.

“Dave, shouldn’t we actually, you know, get on the road?” Kurt asked me, folding his arms across his chest and shifting his weight from one foot to the other impatiently. A lightbulb went off somewhere in the back of my mind. I had forgotten we were supposed to have left for Seattle by now. And to be quite honest, I didn’t really care. I thought we were doing some pretty good work right now, and it honestly wouldn’t hurt us any to take a break, but Danny Goldberg had different ideas.

“We probably should,” I said quickly. “Don’t want ol’ Dan mad at us again for being ‘fashionably’ late.” Kurt rolled his eyes and snorted. Apparently, his old tendancy for pissing everyone he sees off is coming back. I vaguely hoped I’m not a potential target; I always seem to get wrapped up in his sarcasm because I am Mr. Literal. I nodded as Kurt walked toward the van and Krist picked himself up off of the ground.

“No, no, it’s okay,” Krist declared as he brushed the gravel off of the seat and knees of his jeans. “No, don’t be concerned that I might have brain damage from a mysterious airborn rock. That’s fine!”

“Good,” I replied snidely. “I won’t be.”

I could feel Krist’s hot stare on my back as I climbed back into the van in my respectful place in the back seat. I noticed that I’ve always sat behind Kurt and Krist.

“Hey, Kurt, you think you can trade places with me?” I ask the man in the large red sunglasses in the passenger seat. Kurt turned in his seat to look at me with his eyebrow raised as if I had asked him what the gravitational potential energy of the van we were sitting in was.

“Why?”

“Well, you know,” I looked sheepishly down at my knees. “I’ve noticed that I always sit behind you and Krist and I was hoping that we could have that change for a little bit.

A moment of silence passed over us as Kurt mulled that thought over. Suddenly, laughter filled the van as Kurt finally grasped what I had said. I sat back in my seat, trying not to laugh at the way Kurt was doubled over in his seat, but I failed miserably as a few unmanly giggles escaped my lips.

“You’re so weird, Dave!”

At which point the door to the van opened, and lo and behold, Krist’s head poked in with the most confused expression I had ever seen on his face.

“What are you guys talking about?”

Kurt opened his mouth to speak, but I silenced him with a glare.

“Nothing. Can we just go already?”

“Yes sir.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one's kind of boring...I was on writer's block while writing most of it xD