When Stars Bleed

A Wicked Smile - 1.0

Image

Year 1507
I kneeled in front of his throne, counting to five, before I was allowed to look up into his eyes. They were cold and grey, full of greed and overconfidence.

Although whenever I brought him news, he had a right to be filled with impudence. His look told me everything, he didn't even need to speak. The same was with me, no words needed.
I pulled out a sword by it's hilt from my Scabbard. I held it carefully in my gloved hands. With the point in my right and the hilt placed on the palm of my left hand.

The sword was a thick metal, longer then most, jewels embedded on the fuller. The hilt was covered in rubies, diamonds, and emeralds. The sword has never been forced into battle, a natural story for a sword of a King.

A few spots of blood would forever remain on the sword and that blood belonged to it's pervious holder. I put the needed forced behind this sword to pierced through it's owner's chest. Now it and land it ruled over belongs to my King.

"Well done Sanders. Well done...Now I rule all of the neighboring cities and villages. I have fifty conquered territories under my belt." My King took the sword harshly from my hands as he stood, confronting all of his houseguests.

I bowed my head down once more, as my face was hidden from his view I sneered. Thirty-five of those conquered territories truly belonged to me and my army, or at least the credit was.

Ever since I was fifteen and the King learned of my unbelievable sword skills, he enlisted me into the high ranks of his army. And as I started taking control and respect of his army and taking over other villages, he assigned me General.

Once I turned sixteen I had seven conquered cities under my belt. The King never openly acknowledged my accomplishments, he liked everyone knowing that it was him who did most of the planning and fighting.

For the past four years he hasn't left the comfort of his own palace. He's a disgrace in my books, a real king fights along side with his men, he gives credit to those who are owed, and puts his people first not himself.

But this King did none of these things, he wasn't fit to wear the crown he wears. I finally stood up and walked over to the side of the room, where my four Colonels stood. My most trusted friends, they are my brothers in a way.

They've all bleed for me, nearly lost their lives. I've saved all their lives at one time or another and they have done the same for me.

We are all blood stained and worn down from our prior battle, which lasted only seven days. Yet during those seven days, we slept very little, along with eating. All we did was fight side by side. Haner placed his hand on my shoulder, he knew the rage inside of me, which this narcissistic King caused. I nodded and placed my hands behind my back.

"We shall have a feast!" The King smiled and held the sword in his right hand high above his head.

"In our King's honor!" A Lord spoke up, making the King's smile even bigger.

"Yes! A great feast! It shall proceed in an hour, you are all excused." The King announced before throwing the sword on the table and walking out of the room. I turned to face my weary men.

"Let's go and rest. We shall have our own feast! In our honor, in our victory." They nodded and turned to leave, with me leading them out. As we walked through the grand double doors, a cheer erupted from my army. I raised a hand with a smile on my face, causing the cheers to cease.

"In two hours time, we shall feast! All welcomed in my house!" My raspy and loud voice rung through each of their ears. Another cheer was let out and soon they all bowed to me, pride welled up inside of my chest. I nodded and walked down the steps and past through the men as they parted for me and my brothers.

I pushed open my wooden doors and a grand hall appeared, with servants eagerly awaiting our return.

"Welcome back General! Welcome Back Colonels!" They started clapping and some maids ran to us, taking our heavy coats and armor.

"Thank you, thank you. It's good to be back," I smiled and happily gave up the armor that covered my chest and arms.

"The General wants a feast! For all the men and whoever accompanies with them!" Baker said with a large clap on my back.

"That's what we thought, we have already started to prepare." I nodded and started to head up to my room, where a warm bath would be waiting for me.

Soon I was making my way through the crowds of soldiers always smiling, patting some on the back, complimenting others, sharing stories and scars. I was proud to call these men, apart of my army.

"Sanders!" My youngest brother, Jonathan called me over to our table. He might be the smallest, but his courage overpowered half my men put together. He also had a big heart. On his left sat a beautiful girl.

"Jonathan!" I smiled as he stood and I gripped him in a hug. "How has your freedom been?"

"More then I could ask for!" He looked over his shoulder at the sitting girl. She was sitting quietly with brown curly hair hanging loose around her shoulders and I noticed her eyes were the slightest bit of hazel.

"Good, good. Now could this be the stunning Clarissa?" At Jonathan's smile and Clarissa's blushing cheeks, I had my answer.

"Yes, Clarissa this is Matthew Sanders, my brother. Matthew this is my lovely Clarissa." She stood and gave me a low curtsey and in return I bowed back.

"It's wonderful to finally be able to stand in your presents. Jonathan speaks very highly of you." Again her cheeks went a bright red.

"Jonathan" She mumbled with a smile. Jonathan grinned and lead her back into her seat, then he sat down beside her. I nodded and soon I set off to my spot at the table, next to James and Haner, where our food was already being served.

Half way through our meal, the Kings men, the ones he keeps for his protection, busted through my doors, breaking them down. At once my brothers and myself were standing.
"What is this!" I yelled so loud, that they were echoing off the walls.

"An urgent message from our King." With their swords held tight and raised as they advanced towards me, while one held a letter.

Angrily I tore it from his hands and started to read. It just so happens that the King had found out about our separate feast, and he considered it an insult and a threat. As I read in between the lines, I could tell that he was scared.

He now knew that I had complete control over his army. I had their trust, and I was in their favor far more then the King could ever be. Knowing that if I wanted to I could overthrow him and take his throne. At the end of the letter, the King had written that the feast was to be ended at once or I would be held with treason.

"ME! ME ACCUSED OF TREASON!" I slammed the letter down hard on the table.

"You know, he's afraid of you. You hold his army in the palm of your hand. He has no choice but to accuse you of treason." James said while shaking my shoulder a bit. I nodded, knowing everything he said was true.

All my men, started whispering upon themselves, they knew I was anything but disloyal. Even though I had men to back me up, I didn't dare go against the King. He has many more allies with bigger armies then I.

"As you all may see, tonight is finished. Please return to your homes." I sat back down in my chair, my hand running across my forehead. This King will one day soon, pay.

I stood at the entrance of my home, to watch my men leave.

"Great feast General, even with the quick ending!" A solider along with his friend came up to me, on their way out.

"Yes, I must confess I always look forward to your feasts!" The other solider smiled and shook my hand.

"These banquets are for us. They are your feasts." I corrected them, bowing as they turned to leave.

In ten minutes time, my home was empty. All the servants, maids, and cooks have decided to return early to their rooms. I have even sent my brothers home earlier then usual. I placed my coat on over the light armor that I always kept on, and placed my sword back into it's scabbard.

The cold night breeze stung my face, yet I kept on walking. Me being accused of treason was beyond belief. I've been a solider for the past nine years of my life. The first thing you learn is loyalty, without it, you are not a solider.

I was brought here to this kingdom as a slave when I was very young, my parents died when I was no older then three. A half Irish orphan was taken in by a skilled blacksmith. He taught me his trade and how to handle swords.

And all my life I've wanted to be a solider, to be in the army. In my eyes, the soldiers in the army were incredibly close to one another, much like a family, the one I never had. So being charged of betrayal was a low blow.

I soon started running, with all my rage inside, running was the only way for me to release it. As I ran, I could see a shadow chasing me. Of course it was just my imagination, a person can't have more then one shadow...

Nevertheless I kept running, and I saw the extra shadow race ahead of me, then suddenly it disappeared and person stood in it's place. Immediately I tried stopping before I'd run into the shadow man, except it didn't help, I was going to run into him, no matter what.

Within seconds of the expected contact, it never came. The man step aside, with unbelievable speed. This move caught me completely off guard and I tripped over my feet.

The man's laugh was deep and harsh. He stuck out a hand and I cautiously accepted it.

"What? How..."
The man held up a hand, "you probably don't know this, but I've been following you, General Matthew Sanders."

"Why?"

"A common question. Why...everyone asks it. Yet it matters not, the only thing that matters is that I have a deal for you."

A wicked smiled came upon his features, one that would send chills down any man's back.