When Stars Bleed

Like Being Asleep - 4.0

Image

"I have your word, that you will help me." I nodded

"You do." He smiled and walked over to me, offering his hand and I took it.

"Now...for your brothers. When nightfall comes, we shall go to them. But for now, we'll rest." He let go of my hand and I stood.

"And if my men don't want to be turned...then what? I will not go on without them."

He started walking off, but turned to look back at me.

"They will...they will..." He never stopped moving, soon he disappeared.

I made my way back up to the room that I woke in some hours ago. It was still dark, the drapes were drawn shut, to keep the sun away. I fell into a dreamless sleep.

'Sanders...it's time.'

I sat up, slowly waking myself up. Again I walked down the dark hallways and down to the main room, where Drake was dressed and ready.

"It's time for your brothers to become your real blood brothers."

The sun had just went down and the sky was now turning dark. I walked to my home, with Drake following me. The doors were wide open, waiting for my return. I was greeted as normal by my servants and my brothers.

"Sanders! Where have you been?! It's been close to a week!" Jonathan gripped me in a hug.

"I didn't mean to worry you my dear brothers." They nodded, but they were staring at Drake.

"Who's this?" James stood tall with a hand on the hilt of his sword. He never did like strangers.

"This is my brother, Drake."

Drake nodded and came to stand next to me. The others were confused and all looked to me for an answer.

"Something has happened. I've become...a vampire." They were still for a second, then the laughs came.

"Nice one," Haner had leaned his head against the wall as he laughed.

"A vampire...that's a first," Zachary laughed, his green eyes were bright.

"It's true!" I shouted, making them cease their laughs and smiles.

"What..."

"Sanders, like I told you, humans don't understand. You must show them."

"I won't scare them away. Brothers come with me...I have a story to tell."

I walked towards a large room. A large table was placed in the center, with five chairs around it. I took my spot at the head, with everyone filling in. Drake stayed just beyond the closed doors.

"Is this true?" James started at me, with wide eyes.

"Yes. Drake needs my help, our help. I've joined his army...my army."

"Do you even know what you've done!" Jonathan asked.

I nodded and spent the next 20 minutes explaining what I've done, what I chose. And another ten minutes explaining why they should join me.

"We're brothers, we should stay together." James nodded and placed his hand on my shoulder. Haner did the same to my other. I smiled and the three of us looked back to Zachary and Jonathan.

"Will you join us?"

"Only if all four of us do. I won't leave anyone behind," Zachary said looking at the concerned Jonathan.

"Jonathan...will you..." He shook his head.

"NO! This is the most unholy thing we've ever done. It's too sinful! I will not do it! Clarissa and I are to be married! The priests are close to giving us their consent. I do not want to sacrifice that! I love her...I wish not to send any harm or hurt, her way." He stood up and walked towards the door. "I'm sorry brothers. I just...I just can't" He pushed the doors open and walked out.

"I'm sorry Sanders, but if Jonathan doesn't join...then I won't either." Zachary stood up and followed him.

I watched my two youngest brothers walk out on me. I felt a pain rise in my chest, but it soon faded away. Drake walked in, with a smile on his face.

"So..."

"I will not do this without all my brothers!"

His smile never faltered

"Don't worry." He walked out and disappeared from my sight.

I didn't know what he had planned, but I stayed with Haner and James. They were torn between me and the others.

"No one will be turned until all want to be," I reassured them.

Later that night, the three of us went out for a walk in the cold night. It didn't bother me, but I knew it effected my brothers. We talked of the old days, when we were young boys, running through the city. Bring chaos and whatever else we could.

It was nearly sunrise, and I could see the sun starting to come out from behind the mountains. I could feel the sun tickle my skin, yet we kept on walking and talking, and we soon neared the King's palace.

Out of nowhere Jonathan was running towards us, with Zachary close on his heels.

"Sanders you must stop him! Stop him! He's going to kill her!"

"Who?"

"The King!" Zachary said while trying to catch his breath.

"What! Why?!"

"We don't know. Come quick. You must stop him!" Jonathan started running back from where he came and the rest of us followed him.

In the middle of the King's court yard, many people were standing around as the executioners were setting up for a hanging.

"Oh my God..." James stopped as he saw them drag Clarissa to the stand.

Her hands were bound, tears now stained her fair face. Her hazel eyes were blocked by tears and redness that surrounded them. Her cries for help and Jonathon were tearing apart my heart.

I needed to help her, I needed to answer her call. I quickly looked around for the King. He was standing high above everyone else.

"My Lord!" I ran to him, "My Lord! Please you must stop this. What are the charges. My Lord!"

He looked down upon me.

"She is a criminal! And she has committed treason. She is against my crown! She will HANG!"

"My Lord, please spare her. You can not do this. These are false charges. Give her a trial! Spare Her!" I yelled as anger ran through me.

"I will not! Now you're in enough trouble General, do not bring anymore upon yourself. Leave my sight, before you too get charged with treason!"

I let out a growl as I turned from him, bumping into Jonathon. Tears were clouding his eyes.

"Brother...I-I...I tried." I bowed my head.

I only looked up after I heard Jonathon scream as Clarissa's body was hanging lifeless by the rope that held her. I grabbed him in my arms as he screamed. The others surrounded us all placing a hand on Jonathon's back or shoulder.

The bystanders were now leaving and going about their usual business.

As Jonathon sobbed in my chest, I looked at Clarissa's body. It was like she was asleep. There was something else that caught my eye, behind Clarissa was Drake.

He was standing at a window on the second level of the castle, looking out, watching...and he was smiling...