When Stars Bleed

New Found Monster - 8.0

Image

I slowly opened my eyes, and I smelt the fire, that always surrounded us down here. We were back home, back to our war. I dressed in my armor and went out to the camps. The new vampires were still sleeping, so our war would be put on hold, to protect them from being killed. I walked around the grounds, making sure there would be no surprise attacks.

As I walked, I thought little, and focused more on scanning the lands. Those new vampires would help us win this war, they are greatly needed. The days slowly ticked by, soon the weeks were passing us, the vampires still slept and I began to panic.

"Drake, this shouldn't be taking this long! Something's wrong!" I yelled as I burst through his doors. He just laughed at me.

"There's nothing wrong Shadows. They'll wake tomorrow...along with James's sleeping beauty." He smiled and continued drawing on his map.

I blinked, and sat down in front of his desk. James has being going insane the past two weeks. He's restless and never leaves his room, afraid that Kayci would wake and he wouldn't be there. Each of us has taken turns watching her, while James left to feed. Yesterday was my turn.

She slept quietly, hardly breathing, never moving. I tried to understand what James felt, but it was impossible for me. I couldn't recognize why he couldn't leave her side for more then an hour. As I touched her hand, her skin was on fire yet it was cold. Then fear grew inside of me.

The fear of knowing that I wasn't human, that I would never again feel human. That I was so un-human, that I could never feel the same as another being, that I would never understand why James was attracted to Kayci. That I would be alone, to never be able to find my true love.

While I thought this, James walked in the room, laying beside her, taking her in his cold arms. I stood up and went to the door, taking one last look back. James placing his cheek against hers. Holding her tight.

I just didn't understand, maybe I am truly a monster. I walked away thinking about all that I've done. I committed inhumane acts, tortured so many humans and non humans alike.

"Anything you want to share Shadows? Maybe I can help you?" Drake looked towards his left, it was the picture that was hung inside his castle all those years ago. It was of his soulless mate, that was taken from him so long ago.

"No. I was just worried about them waking." I rose from my seat and headed for the door. I didn't want to tell him how much of a monster I was. How I didn't understand.

"You'll find her M. We always find them. Be patient, she'll come." He stood and gave me a sad smile, before walking towards the picture.

I went to the heart of our camp, where my men were sitting and laughing with each other. As I walked in they fell silent.

"They will all wake tomorrow. That gives us a few days to train them. And then the war will start again."

Some cheered, some sighed. I walked back out and went to the tower, where Jonathon stood watching. We talked some, but then we started looking out over the wastelands, looking for signs of our enemies. Soon the day passed and the others began to wake.

Yet the five of us weren't interested in them, but in Kayci. We all waited outside of James bedroom, waiting for her to wake. His door opened and James came walking out, holding Kayci in his arms.

She was beautiful, more so then the first time we all saw her. Her skin was pale, eyes were now a deeper green and with a hint of red in them. She was smiling and looking up towards James. His grin was wide and with pride. James introduced us to the new Kayci, although we already knew each other.

"I'm going to take her out and feed." She made a face, but it quickly left as James kissed her cheek. We moved to the side and let them pass us.

We all smiled at them and followed them out the door, but not following after them. We greeted the new vampires and welcomed them to our army.

The war started again. The fighting this time was more brutal, I was more vicious. I let the new found monster out. I couldn't have what James had. I couldn't have it, because I didn't understand it.

The only thing that I did understand was the monster inside of me. The thing that thirsts for blood, that hungers for the kill, but most of all that craves for power. I let the monster out, let myself go.

After days of fighting, I returned to the camp with some of my men, as Haner and more men filled our spots. I went to my home and stood under the falling water letting all the blood wash away, letting the monster fade away, my demon.

As my men slept, fed, and regained their strength, I was pacing up in the tower again with Jonathon.

"I saw something the other day. I never noticed it before." Jonathon looked at me then quickly looked away towards the mountains that were on the west side of our base-slash-home. My eyes followed his, there was hole in the middle mountain.

"That cave. I never seen it before, and no one has ever talked about it nor gone to it." I nodded and started climbing down.

"Where you going?" He sounded alarmed

"Where do you think. I'm going to go check it out. This could be a way for them to pull a surprise attack on us."

I was already on the ground and running towards the cave. I slowed to a stop as I came close to the mouth of the opening. I pulled out my sword and held it tight. I could see shadows of a fire inside.

A few turns is when I came upon the fire and an old man sitting beside it. In all of the two hundred years I've been here, I have never seen a human being that looked this old. All the humans that were damned to this hell were of all ages, although they all looked fairly young, never to age, just like us.

I'm not sure how it works, but we've dealt with it. However this man looked like he was over 200 years old. Wrinkles covered his face, his hair was long and pure white with a few strands of gray in it. My hold on my sword faded, but still was strong.

"Who are you?" I asked taking a step closer to the fire and him.

"Do you think that's really important? Do I look like I can harm you or any of your men?"

I laughed out a little and raised an eye brow as I caught on as he emphasized my men.

"I guess you're right. But you understand why I wont let my guard down."

"Of course." He held out his hand to a seat.

I nodded and sat down, keeping my sword in hand. As I watched him, he did motions with his hands and threw some kind of red sand into the fire, turning it blue with a shade of green in the middle. I grew curious.

"I have special abilities, not like yours. I do not know what the mind thinks. That's not my place, like it is yours." I looked into his milky gray eyes. They were old and showed the hard life he had lived.

"I know what and who you are, the great M. Shadows. I've been looking for you." I couldn't speak, yet I knew he knew what I would say.

"I'm a prophet, you see. And I have foreseen something that will be very valuable to you."

My curiosity level grew. The fire started turning back to an orange, but suddenly it erupted back up bigger then before along with the colors returning. The fire's shadows started playing on the walls and upon our faces. With the shadows on his face, it made him look younger, more of a threat.

"There will be a vampire so strong not just in strength but in will. His will is the most important part. He alone will be the only one that can truly call himself, Ruler of the Underworld. And control all of these damned souls. They will only follow him. Yet this comes with a price... He wont be alone. His inner demon will come out. His demon is stronger then others. The only way to tame this demon is by finding her. When he has her, then he can finally rule the underworld. Take precaution, I have a feeling she wont come so easily." He eyes left the fire and found mine. They were now cold and hard.

"But be aware, you are not the only one I told this vision to. And he was not to pleased to hear this."

I jumped up to my feet, sword held tight again in my hands as I turned around. I felt a presents behind me, but as I turned back around to the old man, he was no longer there.

"What the fuck..." I stared at the low orange burning fire. I hissed at it and ran back out. I wasn't sure if I could believe what I heard.

Did it really happen? Was I the vampire that the old man spoke of? Who else heard? Was it Drake? Would Drake tell me this if he knew?