It Had To Be You

Chapter 1

So I really don't have a life anymore. All I have is home, work, picking up my sister from school, and the park for my little guy every once and a while. That's all. Pathetic I know, I haven't been on a date for over a year and a half either. That's another sad factor.

It all started when my mother decided to have a very drastic mid-life crisis. She went off and left my kid sister, Kenzie, with my Grandparents, while she rendezvoused with some guy my age in Jamaica. Seeing how my Grandparents are a little senial, they didn't take very good care of her. Kenzie ended up getting into some major trouble, smoking in the girls bathroom, and nearly failing a grade. The other half of the DNA line, my father, never had anything to do with us. Every time he'd get my mother knocked up, leave and repeat. The only thing he managed to keep at was child support. But then again, court and possibly being arrested wasn't a very pleasing path to walk. And the last option was my brother, Joe, who was finishing college at the time she couldn't go to him.

It all ended up on me. Who was already four months pregnant.

I know, talking crap about my mother when I had gotten pregnant at a New Year's party. Plus there's also that fact that I work for a birth control clinic…… Once again I know, I had that question asked a lot.

"How can you get pregnant? You work for a birth control clinic!"

All of this happened only three years ago. Now I'm a full time mom-sister whatever you want to consider it. And I'm pathetic. I can't say I hate myself though, I just can't admit, or they'll know. Why do kids seem to know everything?

There goes the alarm, time to get up again, start my day all over again.

"Kenzie! Get out of the bathroom, there are two other people waiting!" Ever since she turned sixteen Kenzie has been obsessed with the bathroom. Hold the phone, she started going to the wrong side when she was only thirteen? Yep. Moving on, I turned to Ian and lifted him up, taking him to his room, "Well now. We'll just have to you get dressed first then."

"Yeah!" he happily wiggled in my arms. He seemed to like picking out his own clothes lately, I'm just waiting for the day he can match for himself too. I smiled putting him down and taking out some shirts for him to pick from. "I like the blue dino one." Ian had a very serious look on his face. He always did when he decided something. I swear Ian came out thinking and taking everything seriously.

"Lane I'm out!" Kenzie shouted annoyed at me, for about the fifth time this morning. The first is always for waking her up, the second is for opening the blinds, then there's always the 'hurry up' and maybe a 'grab something for breakfast' in there too. How many was that? Only three or four. Eh, oh well. "I hope you know we're going to be late. If I get in trouble you're doing my tardy!"

"What ever." I rolled my eyes, getting a scolding from Ian, "And they still do those?" I shouted back.

"Why wouldn't they?" lucky for her, I wasn't going to even bother with her tone of voice this morning. Besides she's a teen, and it is seven a.m. in the morning. She didn't give a response, not so lippy after all….. I turned my attention back to Ian who was now trying to tie his shoes.

"Mom…." He stuck out his bottom lip in frustration, which truly broke my heart. Yet for some reason, his preschool graded him on stupid stuff like that. Tying your shoes, singing your ABC's and, counting to a hundred should be one thing that you should learn at your own pace. I guess they are trying to make the youth of America super geniuses, "I want Velcro shoes."

"Oh honey." I placed him on his bed, then started putting his shoes on for him, "Once you learn to tie your shoes, I'll get you a pair."

"Ok." Ian lamely stated, then hopped off his bed, heading to the bathroom.

I sighed following him. For all I know he could try and brush his teeth, fall and crack his chin open on the counter top. "Hey Mister, I want to hear some enthusiasm!" It usually put Ian in a better mood if he had an excuse to shout. Yet, what kid doesn't like to shout?

"OK!" Ian jumped up and down. Kenzie walked by, mumbling something about 'homework in her room'. He didn't care, he was smiling now, almost laughing. Then as quick as laughter almost came it faded, four year old attention spans, I tell ya'. "Toothpaste please." I hadn't noticed he'd gotten his toothbrush already.

"Oh boy!" I smiled a little, after opening the cabinet. Peeking in, I grabbed the toothpaste.

"What? What mommy?!" he was looking around my back. Once again with a serious look on his face.

"You have to use the big kid toothpaste today!" It was blue, that's the only reason why he liked it better. His 'kiddy' stuff was red and tasted like peppermint. Ian joyfully brushed his teeth, while I wetted down his hair, trying to make it lay flat.

Soon Kenzie was back to grab her retainer. She then proceeded to tell me the time, that's when we all kicked it into high gear. Within minutes we were all out the door. Times like these I wish I did trust Kenzie enough to let her get a license. She could have gone straight to the high school, and I could have gone straight to the elementary school. Then none of us would be late. If only.

I dropped off Kenzie and parked a few blocks away from the elementary to avoid getting stuck in the drop off or parking lot.

"Come on Ian." He grabbed my hand and we started walking. I'm a softie, I let him play in the leaves, and drag his hands against the fence. Eh, late for work again. Not like there's patience that early in the morning anyways.

Soon the walking traffic of the school started to pick up. It was no big deal right? Before I could say 'look out' and move Ian out of the way a dog toppled him over. Ian didn't start crying though, he burst out laughing, the loudest I've heard in a while actually. But the man holding the leash didn't look happy at all.

More embarrassed or ashamed that something like that would happen. Behind his thick glasses were tired looking evenly coated brown, fawn eyes. The corners of his mouth were turned down and his cheeks were framed by large sideburns. And through his tan complexion I could see the grey of stress come through. Over all he looked like a person who cared too much. But that was just a thing I sensed from my few years of mother hood. My mommy-hood sense was tingling that maybe he had a child of his own that, or an elderly person to take care of.

"Fig!" He hollered, the dog simply whimpered and quickly got off of my son. Soon the man looked over at me and opened his mouth to speak. He didn't seem to know where to start, or how to apologize. Come on, obviously he could see Ian wasn't hurt, so it he knew there really wasn't anything to say 'sorry' about.
♠ ♠ ♠
so this chapter just came out really easily! idk why.....