It Had To Be You

Chapter 21

The house was chaos. Boxes were everywhere, on the floor, on the counters, in forts, and in my dreams (yeah I was so stressed about this that I was dreaming about boxes). I was moving as soon as possible, so Justin and I could get settled as soon as possible before he left in December. Maybe he was just trying to get away from me, maybe he was finally realizing how messed up everyone in my life was, maybe he didn’t want to become one of those people. Maybe I’m just stressed.

Oh yeah I’m stressed. I’ve packed my entire house in less than two weeks and now a day before Maddie’s birthday, two days before thanksgiving we’re having a moving party. Apparently Maddie’s a popular girl because all of her uncles and aunts (aka all of Justin’s friends and of course, his real brother and sister)(one of his sisters couldn’t make it today, although thank the lord for that. I can only impress so many family members at once), his parents, and Jolynn came. Yes, even Jolynn wanted to see Maddie. Oh and did I mention my brother was here too? Did I mention that not only was Kenzie an emo kid, but now my brother was a complete college hipster? Did I mention how unnerving it was to have everyone touching my stuff? It was nice to have the free help, but it took Justin a few days to convince me of it.

“Hey,” Beth, Justin’s friend greeted me happily, “Need any help in here?”

I was busy cooking for the large moving party. At the moment I was stirring a big crock-pot full of sloppy joe. Beth and I hadn’t talked much except for the initial introduction and then Justin just kind of left us standing there facing each other. Beth waved and was off. She was a very loud person, not in the bad way, she was just a very present undeniable force in a room.

“Yeah that’d be great.” I sighed out relieved that someone was going to visit me for a bit. I’d been thinking way too much and either mostly complete strangers were busy moving my stuff or entertaining the kids.

She smiled and began cutting up broccoli and cauliflower. We worked quietly for a moment and right as she was about to open her mouth to speak a pack of children came running through the kitchen. Justin’s sister came strolling and scolding after them. For once Justin and I didn’t have to be the bad guys.

“Kids,” Kristen chuckled and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. I had talked to her more. Her and her fiancé had arrived earlier than other people, so she and I had a little conversation about the civil war...she’s an AP history teacher. How it got brought up is a mystery to me.

The kitchen was full, but workable. I saw out the windows that Josh’s kids had led the pack to the backyard. Justin’s brother joined his sister outside to help baby-sit and make sure no one lost an eye. I turned back to my work.

“I hear that you’re wedding is in June?” Beth emptied the cutting board full of carrots into a bowl.

“Hm?” I was wide eyed and she laughed.

“Kristen?”

“Oh,” My heart kind of deflated, because of what I’m not sure. If the shock was gone, or if...I don’t know how to explain it. I’m not sure if I’m ready to explain that feeling to myself.

“Oh!” She swallowed a gulp of water. “Yeah, it’s when school gets out and gives me enough time to plan. I invited Justin to play.”

“What about me?” He came in from loading boxes. He was slightly winded.

“The wedding?” Kristen repeated.

“Oh yeah,” He nodded and strolled over to my side. He stole a bite of the pasta salad I had turned my attention to.

“Hey get out of there!” Beth pointed her knife at him.

We all laughed at the unintended violence and he held his hands up. After finishing his bite he kissed me and went back to work. I didn’t feel uncomfortable, while everyone just kind of watched.

“That is too cute,” His sister, Rachel commented from behind me. The other women with me nodded trying not to grin. I felt like I was in high school again sitting at the lunch table listening to my girlfriends tell me how cute my boyfriend was. It pumped up my ego just a tad, “I never liked Anna.”

Apparently Anna is a hot topic, because before I knew it they were in a circle around me asking me questions! All these questions and I was too shy to answer. I didn’t want to answer wrong and some of them were a little--

“Have you two, you know?” Kristen whispered.

My jaw hung slack, it was high school all over again. Only this time without the bitchy girls to spread rumors behind your back and call you slut for having sex.

“Um,” The group was silent waiting for my answer. We hadn’t. We didn’t have the time, or means to do so...I mean, we wanted to. I think he wanted to, I wanted to. What guy doesn’t want to? We hadn’t really discussed it and I didn’t know how mature adult relationships worked.

Maddie came running in and clung to my side, “Laney when is lunch going to be ready?”

“I can make you a plate right now!” I jumped at the chance to get out of this situation.

She was barely able to see over the counter, but showed no shyness in pointing to what she wanted. I made sure that none of her food was touching, well not because I was encouraging the OCD thing, but because I agreed with her that it was gross when food touched.

We found a spot in the completely bare table and she sat munching her food while keeping her attention on the other kids running around. Ian saw her and wanted to eat, then one by one all the kids decided they were hungry. I just had to pray that that question wasn’t brought up again.
♠ ♠ ♠
long time no see! Yeah, I still like this story and we'll get to see more of the family in the next chapter.