It Had To Be You

Chapter 4

I walked over, he seemed to scramble to close whatever he was writing. Maybe he writes porn or something, that'd explain the hair. God what am I saying!? Expect the worse, so that way if the best happens you can be even happier. Sure, right, still haven't thought of anything to say. Whoa no! I really can't stop walking now, mind as well just say something.

"My son wants a dog now, I hope you know!" Great……I sat down beside him, smiling, trying to show I was joking. He simply chuckled and looked towards the sky, tapping his foot a little. Him smiling made me feel at ease now, and it also distracted from his hair. Over all it was a nice smile. Made him look boyish behind all that facial hair.

"Ah, yes I'm very sorry about that." He chuckled again, putting the notebook and pen in his backpack. I saw a pile of thick books with a library card sticking out of one, he must have been using it as a bookmark. Hey, it's a good idea. You don't loose the book you can't misplace your card. Ok, moving on.

"And now he's set on getting Velcro shoes, instead of learning how to tie them too." I looked at his red shoes again. I suppose one of these sentences we should introduce each other. That'd be nice since he iskind of cute, "I'm Lane Fergus." I held out my hand, he didn't take it at first, which made me a little nervous. Once again great….. I'm just that weird woman that keeps talking to him randomly, he doesn't care who I am-

"Justin." He finally answered nodding, "I'm a bad influence." The sarcasm was easy to tell in his voice. There was a pause of me shaking my head 'seriously' then we both started laughing. Easy, I liked that, he had a good sense of humor.

I cleared my throat, "Justin," Finally, I got to say his name, a corner of his mouth lifted, "Can I ask what you're doing here?" Come on, a conversation had to be started some how.

"Oh," yep you're right I shouldn't have asked, "Um, yeah. I just got back from the library, and now I'm trying to write." Justin finished.

"What?" That came out too quickly. I was overly curious now. Justin shrugged, it must have signaled he was going to answer.

"A song. So, what are you doing here?" A song? So he was a musician, but how could he not be starving? Eh, I'm so lost right now. Maybe I should get into alternative music, but that takes work to find good bands like that. And I have too much of a so called life to tend to. More like children.

"Lunch break. There was no way I was going to sit and talk with those people." Talking too much. It is a horrible habit, God I hate myself. Justin listened intently, but I stopped myself before I could say more.

He inhaled then began, "Eh, I know what you mean. Sometimes you just need to get out." Well, it did sound like he knew what he was talking about, I with no trouble believeing him, "I picked the park instead of Toys R Us." Ok, I like that he's keeping on with the conversation. But he hangs at Tory R Us? Hilarious.

"Man, lucky! I wish I could go too, play with light sabers or something! How could you not go?!" Justin's face lit up even more. It made me feel warmer inside seeing his complexion get rosy and his eyes flicker. "Hell," swearing, something I had given up. Having a four year old walking around saying 'fuckin' aye'. Not. Cool. "I'd be happy to even get to the library." My hand swung in the air directing towards Justin's bag.

"Do you need some good books?" I set my hand down on the cold rock of the fountain, "I can lend you some right now if you want!" He started digging through his bag, I muttered a 'sure', which made him dig even faster. "I don't know what you like to read, but you can start with this….." Justin handed me a beat up book. Must have been read a few times.

The cover read: You Must Be This Happy To Enter, sounded a little weird, but never judge a book by it's cover. I continued to study it, on the inside it had 'Justin Pierre' and a number scribbled inside.

"Ok, it looks good." Well, from what I had read on the back cover, "Wait, how am I going to get this back to you?" he stroked his chin, and thought for a moment. Oh duh, it had is number in it, I can't wait for this answer.

"Well, auh, I do have my number in the front." We both let out a 'duh' type of laugh. The ones that last for one snort or chuckle but is still considered laughing.

"Yeah…..I just realized that." My nose was getting warm, so I couldn't help but wrinkle it a bit. Justin looked back to the sky and tapping his foot, with his hands behind him, propping him up. He looked in deep thought, but yet he looked rather aimless. We had our moment of comfortable silence, then I looked at my watch, whispering a 'damn' I quickly got up gathering my bag and jacket. "I'm really sorry, I have to go."

Justin's head turned towards me, coming back into the real world. He held out his hand, "Very nice to meet you, again!" we both nodded, I jumbled an extra long 'yeah' smiling uncontrollably.

"See you around?" I thought I'd just add that in, from the meeting before, just to see his reaction. Surprisingly it wasn't much, Justin just sat there shaking my hand with his mouth open, half smiling.

"Of course." I began walking away, trying to make my smile go down. "Have a nice day!" Figures, he must want the last word. Turning back around I bowed my head a little, signaling the same. Justin's teeth were now showing, and he had picked up a book again.

I found him oddly charming, even through the hair, and everything else that he did, to make him look rather crazy. And even if he did make me late getting back to work. I ended up getting a good book. Which is another thing I had been neglecting to do since I had Ian and brought Kenzie into my home.

See, music, books, movies and fashion were always hard for me to keep up with. Thankfully my room mate from college, the lovely Miss Jolynn Baker, gives me 'hand-me-downs'.

Then I have Joe, who is still in college and if he can afford it or if he has time, he sends really good indie flicks. That's another thing, movies are easy, they are something that you can watch when the kids are asleep. And you only have two hours before you actually go to bed.

Books on the other hand are different, it takes time to read them and take it all in. In fact I usually have to read on twice or so before I catch everything. Yeah, I'm not slow just rushed.

Last subject to be unique in, music. No one seems to listen to music I like, Kenzie is the closest person who does. Catchy, rather up-beat, but not sugary 'main-stream' catchy. I've tried to get her to burn me CD's or lend me her iPod. Fat chance! Kenzie never seems to share anything though, I don't know, she must think it makes her strong, or rebellious or something…… Honestly, it just gets her into more trouble.

Anyways, I got back to work just to deal with more complaining women. Sometimes I want to shout at these women, 'maybe you shouldn't be having sex', or 'you're only fifteen maybe you should take care of a child before you go off and have sex yourself' gah, either way it just makes me sound like an uptight old hag. But yet it seemed to go by quicker then I thought it would (still pretty slow). Every time I had to wait for a patient, I pulled out the book. He's right, the book was pretty dang good. Before I knew it I was on chapter ten and my last patient of the day was in. Thank God! She was nice and was a mature woman who just didn't want to have anymore children with her husband. Eh, the day was finally done.

Now it was time to pick up Kenzie and Ian from school. The question was whether to pick up Ian or Kenzie first. Next question was, which parking lot was more full. Kenzie first, the front parking lot by the school had a few spaces, that meant no jerk off teenagers by my car. Wow, I just sound like an old lady, by 'jerk offs' I mean the ones who think it is funny to vandalize things just for the heck of it. You know the ones who make high school hell? Those kids……

I quickly saw her, she was wearing her hat with the hot pink, giant pom-pom on top. When we started walking Kenzie took out her earphones and started talking.

"Lane! Andy just asked me to go to a concert with him!!" she was smiling wildly. Of course this meant I had to answer whether she could go or not. Oh, right on cue, "So can I go?"

"Um, maybe." I had met Andy before, he was nice, in an artsy type of way,"What band? And how crazy is the mosh pit?" Kenzie must have been in a really good mood, because she laughed and quickly responded.

"Metro Station. And I don't think they have too good of a mosh pit!" she nearly tripped because she was switching back and fourth from walking backwards, "I mean they're more of a dance- um….." What was that 'um' for, seriously what could you have to make up for music? "Techno, I guess." I let out a sigh of relief, Kenzie simply shrugged at my reaction.

"Sure," I almost fell over when she jumped on me, "But-"

"Ohh-awww!" Kenzie whined grabbing her and hanging it a little lower. I rolled my eyes, "There always has to be something. I'll be good!" I think I need to tell her, I don't just want good for a week or two, I want happy and content. Over all an attitude change.

"Kenzie Sable Fergus," she cringed dramatically at her full name. I can understand why, I mean, it sounds like our mom was high or something when she named Kenzie. Yes, that's the sister part of me talking. "Just don't push it, and ruin it for yourself. That's all I'm saying. Besides, I have to talk to Andy and his parents too."

This took her good mood down a notch, "Fine!" as we approached the elementary school, we were both swarmed with students running and jumping around, "Ya know, sometimes I just wonder how Ian can survive this." Kenzie had a very good point, I can see him getting knocked down by a even a first grader.

She lead us around for a while, finally I found him. Ian was by the front doors closest to the gym, gathered with his preschool class. And there I saw Justin standing by him, with what appeared to be his daughter.

Yep. Same flat nose, fawn eyes, and face shape. Her 'colors' were lighter though. Very light brown hair with a hint of red, paler skin, and a little lighter brown in the eyes. She also held herself differently I couldn't put my finger on it though. Might I add that her hair was neatly middle parted with short side swept bangs. It almost reached her shoulders, she made her father look like even more of a sight to see.

I started walking faster to greet Justin before he saw me. In the process I managed to loose Kenzie, eh she can't do too much in a crowd full of elementary kids. "Hey Justin! I see Ian found you again." I took Ian's hand.

"Hi?" He spun around confused, while his daughter was still saying something to Ian. "Oh, hi, Lane." The sentence was separated, surprised more or less.

"That book you gave me is really good." I thought I'd just add that in. Justin smiled and nodded, now his daughter was looking at me. "I'm already on chapter ten!" Ok, I was really proud of how far I'd gotten in the book.

"Glad you like it." His daughter pulled his hand so he'd pay attention to her. Then managed to give a look of 'who's this?' all with one eyebrow raised, "Ah, Maddie this is Lane."

"Hello Maddie." I shook her hand, then received and approving smile, for no reason. She turned back to Ian and they began speaking their child gibberish. "Well, I guess she approves?" I laughed, completely joking.

"Yeah I guess-" Justin was smirking, but was interrupted by Kenzie walking up babbling something.

"Lane, why'd you walk so fast, I mean god I was just walking and all of a sudden you were, you were…" she made a sound, we were all quiet listening, "And now Ian's talking to more strangers, great he's going to be abducted by the age of-" Kenzie looked at the 'stranger' then started screaming. I take it she knew him. I couldn't tell if it was a scream of hate or a teenage girly scream of happiness. They sound awfully close. "Oh my, oh my gawd! It's you! It is- Oh. My. God." So she knew and liked him? Justin sure didn't seem to know who Kenzie was.

"You know him?" Everyone was lost, now I was just getting freaked out. Kenzie was aw struck, and Justin well, was getting skittish, looking at the sky with his hands in his pockets.
♠ ♠ ♠
oh boy.....idk

anyways thanks for all the comments :D luv you guys!!!