It Had To Be You

Chapter 5

Today was just another day. I went to the library after taking Fig on his walk and dropping off Maddie. Found some more books that I wanted to read, even if I did already have books I was re-reading in my backpack, I can read about two or three books at a time. It is great if you ask me, because, hey there are those things called boring parts. The only bad part about that is when you get to boring parts in all of the books you're reading. That just plain sucks. Magazines come in handy when you really don't want to keep reading anyways.

I ran into Lane in the park, we had a nice conversation. Well by nice, I mean I finally learned her name. She's really funny, and sweet, and maybe pretty. I shouldn't look at her like that though, I'm just going to end up being one of her friends, you know the 'uncle' to their child, friend, and like a brother to her. Yeah, that's how pretty much, every female looks at me.

Speaking of close friends I talked to Beth and Kristen. Man, I need to call a shit ton of people, at least two are crossed off my list. Next I think will be my brother Dan, sister Lindsey, my mom and dad, and hopefully I'll get to my band. Or they'll call me. There's another problem, you can't be mad if some one doesn't call you, because they could be mad you didn't call them. This phone thing is just way to complicated, I'm thinking of leaving everything to fate. Ha, then nothing would happen to me. Back to what I was saying.

Beth called first.

"Justin Courtney!" She cheerfully said on the other line. I held silence, trying to confuse her. "Dude, don't try the 'called the wrong number' joke on me! You came up with it, with me." Ok so Beth is right. It was something we had come up with when we had gotten out of college, when all of the telemarketers start calling your house. Sometimes it is just fun to do it to your friends for the heck of it.

"You got me," I let out a sigh, "What do you want?" she giggled at the way I said it in my Godfather voice.

"Well first off, hi." I muttered a 'hi' back. So, Beth just called to talk, I really don't see the rarity in that.

Then again I'm probably guessing wrong, it is Beth. The person who I got drunk with once and she somehow managed to break into my house, at the time. When the next day I found out how, with one of those talking fish from the trunk of my car, don't ask me. Just know she's wonderful.

"Very nice." She chuckled, it was contagious, "Um, this is about little missy's birthday party." November was on the way, and even though it was only September, everyone seemed to be R.S.V.P-ing already.

"Um, sure I don't see why not. I mean it can't be on her actual birthday." My parents were already planning a party, then she was going to hang out with 'Uncle' Matt and Tony for a few days after. Don't worry kids, she won't be missing any school. Her birthday lands on a day of Thanksgiving break. "Pretty sure the weekend after is open." Beth let out a disappointed sigh.

"Ok, I'll come to her birthday party too I guess." This girl had twenty extra aunts and uncles. Ridiculous. There was a rustling sound on the other line, then she said something to someone else who must have been in the room with her. "I'm back. What's new with you Justin?"

"Eh, nothing much. Met some new people, got some good books. Not much. You?" Basic stuff, I really didn't want to waste her time. I'm not that exciting. She started laughing again.

"Not much I take it." Beth stated, I realized I had said it twice. "Fine." She declared in a competitive voice. I'm just wondering what she's going to start now, "You are oh so detailed, what books and who?"

"Too many to name." Beth snorted at my response then said 'ok', "And her name is Lane and her son is Ian." I thought she almost had a heart attack on the other end.

"Her?" God, I hate it when she does this. She's going to tease me until my cheeks turn beat red and I'm feeling like an eight grader talking about a crush. Maybe she doesn't realize she does this, then again it is a brother and sister relationship. "Do you like her-"

"No, now please let up on this." There was silence on the other end. Beth must have realized I did like Lane. Wait I like Lane? I wasn't supposed to admit this to myself. Damn it. "Thank you." I sighed out.

"You can just try it….." Now she was being a shit head. There was a beep, someone was on the other line. I still don't know why I have two lines.

"I know I can. Hey, I gotta go, someone's on the other line." Honestly I still wanted to continue with the conversation, Beth could have given me some advice or something. Scratch that, she did that for when I wanted to ask Anna out. That led to a marriage and children. Oi veh.

"Ch, mister popular over there!" in response I gave a quick 'sure am'. We both busted out laughing at each other's sarcasm. "Love ya! Bye."

"Imhmmm, bye." I never understood why people said 'I love you' to me. Did they really? I don't know, the phone beeped again, reminding me of the other line. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's Kristen." Straight to the point, nice.

Kristen, we dated, may I say one of my favorite x's. Simple as that, it ended nicely, I think because we both knew we didn't enjoy kissing and holding hands with each other as much as we should have. One of those 'oh' moments, it was weirder to be dating her then breaking up and being friends with her. Now she's been dating this one guy, Yori for about two years now.

"Kristy!" She seemed to only let me call her that. A lot of people let me call them nicknames they can't stand. Kristen was unusually quiet on the other end, "You don't seem happy."

"I am." Kristen said airily, then I heard her tapping her fingers. Her doing this was getting annoying already.

"OK, come on, tell me what's up!" I hated it when there is anything wrong with anyone. I just end up taking them on as if they were my own, which just leads me to do stupid shit.Like drinking and a whiff of something She stuttered a 'nothing', all it meant was she was happy but unsure of something. The joy that is ruined by all of the questions after it, overall the joy that is quickly ruined, but you still end up smiling. "Come Kristy I bet, I know there's something." Silence, "Don't make me get my fucking space monkeys and G.g Giraffe to attack you!" Finally there was laughter.

"God, Justin you crack me up." She sighed, this was going to be long, so I started multitasking. Folding laundry was the first task I was going to attempt, "See, Yori asked me to marry him and I said yea. But then I couldn't decide who I wanted in the wedding, and now I'm planning." Wait a minute. How come everybody is getting married? Least I can say to her is I'm happy, but really I'm just feeling even more down now. "It all just so stressful. I wanted to keep it simple, but Yori has to keep his traditions and all." Wow, she really was stressed. "Then I was wondering if Motion City could play, then again, you guys don't play anymore." Hold the rambling, us play. Hahaha.

"Take a deep breathe." Not that I can't imagine her turning blue saying all of this, "Yo-yo is a pretty cool guy, he should let some things slide." Kristen relaxed a little, the phone didn't sound as close to her head now.

"His parents won't….." Parents? In-laws always get in the way, she shouldn't worry about it.

"Dude, you're not marrying his parents. Besides when is this shebang goin' down?" Seriously, she loves him this much to care what his parents think? This is just crazy. A good crazy, one that I'd like to party with. Kristen sighed a little.

"You have a point. And we're thinking June or July, but we've only been planning for a month." Why has she been keeping this from me? She's complicated and forgetful, I'm just going to let this one go. Ladies, gentlemen, that's why I'm intrigued by this girl even today.

"June, July! You have plenty of time. I think you should, use those wonderfully magnifecent things, called words maybe even facial expressions." Kristen shouted a 'shut up' at me nearly giggling, she's really bad at being mad. Jesus, I sound like I'm still in love with her! Kristy is my twin that is nothing like me. Hence fourth why I know everything (well most of the time) about her, another reason why we could not date each other. I looked at my watch, three o' clock already?! "Kristy I have to go. Maddie might kill me if I'm late."

She chuckled, because she knew what I was talking about. My Madeline pacing around biting her lip impatiently, all because you'd were a minute or two late, "Really! Oh, I might forget to get her a card. Tell her I said happy very early birthday." My daughter's so loved, and it is effortless for her. And thankfully Kristy found November as far away as I did. "Anyways, talk to you later Justin?"

"Yeah." I laughed a little from my throat, "Ok, bye." There was a quick 'bye' then click. I looked down at the laundry I had tried to fold, but decided it was worse then when I had started.

Before I headed out to get Maddie I let out Fig. Then I was off, strolling rather quickly, looking rather odd I suppose humming a tune that had been stuck in my head since lunch. I tired writing words to it, but they didn't come, yeah, I gave up again, whatever. When I got to the school, at 3:13 early just for her, I saw the preschoolers lined up. Usual, the bell rang. Maddie was one of the first ones out.

She bobbed along, hair shining in the September afternoon sun. We quickly met up and started walking. As we walked past the preschoolers, one came up and started pulling on my sleeve. I turned to see it was Ian. He insisted we talked, eh, I could hang for a while. I can bear to talk to him, plus Maddie found him funny too. This lasted a few minutes, talking about pretty much nothing. Must get it from his mother. Then all of a sudden I heard a voice from behind me.

"Hey Justin! I see Ian found you again." She smiled taking her son's hand. I was taken back, even though I wasn't trying I felt like a stalker. We had a small town and all, with two parks, and one public school one private, but still. A little leery looking if you ask me. Lane didn't notice.

"Hi?" this was awkward for no apparent reason. Let the talking begin, it was all fun banter, Maddie even joined in for a little while. That was until what looked like to be her sister came up.

Well, she was too old to be her daughter and too young to be a friend. The girl had an 'old school emo' look going. A black pom-pom hat, with dyed blackish blue fringe under it, heavy eyeliner on the bottom of her eyes and still semi loose skinny jeans. Not the ones now that look like they chafe if you move and weren't colored or anything. Nor did she have too many neon colors going. Same with 'happy' things, like unicorns, cupcakes, or cartoon characters. Trust me it is that style that ran us out. It was good to see someone still wearing chucks and a bomber jacket. (sorry had to say this now, 'emo' can be taken different ways, just go with me. Apologies if I offended any of you) Then she started talking retainer sparkling and all.

"Lane, why'd you walk so fast, I mean god I was just walking and all of a sudden you were, you were…" there was a pause when she made a growl from her throat, "And now Ian's talking to more strangers, great he's going to be abducted by the age of- Oh my, oh my gawd! It's you! It is-" She looked me up and down, all these kids seem to have that ability to make people feel self consious, or I'm just really 'weak'. "Oh. My. God." The girl named Kenzie looked like she was about to fall over, from screaming and hyperventilating. All righty then, I just decided to ignore this conversation, well what I could manage to ignore.

Lane looked really lost, might I say it didn't look to bad on her. God stop it Justin! "You know him?" Kenzie nodded rapidly, stumbling over her words. Lane didn't appear to know what she was talking about, thankfully. Of course her sister went on, filling her in.

"La-Lane! This is Justin, Justin Pierre from Motion City Soundtrack!" she was going ballistic. "You know the one who sings 'Everything's Alright' and, and, and um," Ha, she can't show half of our songs to her. Yeah, L.G FAUD, not a good one to show guardians folks. "He sings 'It Had To Be You'! "

"Um, still not ringing any bells." Lane looked at me, almost embarrassed that her sister would make a scene. "Kenzie just stop while you're ahead. Besides, I think we'd better get Ian home." Now, I could tell she was embarrassed. "Bye Justin." Lane rested a hand on my shoulder and took the other away from Ian's to wave. Kenzie was still googley eyed, which is all the more nerve racking. How can someone think you're so great anyways, she doesn't even know me personally?

"Motion City! How can you not know that Laney?!" I kind of like Laney, it sounded more laid back then just 'Lane'. Once again still can't believe she kept going on like that. "Motion. City. Soundtrack!!" Ian looked up at Kenzie trying to figure out what was going on, while Madeline stepped back to stand closer to me.

"Really sorry!" She was a little red. "Come on Ian. Kenzie. Stop now." Kenzie shook her head and started tromping away. Lane gave me one more glance then started walking also.

"Bye Lane!" I finally realized what was happening. Maddie sighed and rolled her eyes at me. Everyone disapproves or thinks something I do is either a) geeky or b) is a waste of time. My MaddieAddie is too sweet to think the second one so, option a) it is! "Don't give me that look Madeline!" She giggled and we began walking home.

"Dad, just ask her on a date." Females, they know too much. I tilted my head a little contemplating it. No, I'm just that one guy that keeps running into her, Lane wouldn't like or even come close to loving me.

"How do you know I like her huh?" I asked poking her cheek, Maddie whispered 'obvious' under her breathe. "Ok, you got me punk! But I don't have her number or anything and it isn't all that simple." Some how she always gets me to do things, and not to procrastinate.

"You suck at this game, dad!" Thanks. She does have point. Maddie started laughing, at nothing, I looked down at her utterly confused. I didn't say anything and she started explaining, "Ian said he wanted shoes and hair like yours." That thought was funny picture. "He says his mom always tries to wet his down, and that he can't tie shoes." The whole family likes to talk too much.

"Ian's pretty cool, but I don't Lane will go for it." We both said 'really' and chuckled. "I still don't know about Kenzie though. Bit of a spaz." Maddie giggled and agreed.

"Spaz! Daddy she's a spaz attack!" My child is amazing, humor, maturity, and everything else! Any boy she brings into my house I'll have to break their legs. Anyways Maddie cleared her throat and opened the front door, "What's for supper?" I shrugged, hadn't really planned yet. "Left over stir fry sounds good." Works for me.

"Ok, honey. Go start working on you homework, then you can go over and play with Sarah." Sarah was the neighbor girl, they liked to play with dolls and whatever seven year old girls do. Maddie was off in a second.

Over all it was a simple, basic night, basic day. Minus Maddie teasing me constantly, and I finally got around to calling my mom. And I went to bed almost content.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah i didn't want to waste time with converstation that you already knew about. And trust me i put the two phone ones in there for a reason. ;)