It Had To Be You

Chapter 7

My week was alright, it could have been worse. I guess, Maddie came home with progress reports, and nearly cried when she saw she had an A- in science. She's such a sweetheart, I just wish she wouldn't care so much.

Then Josh and Tony called saying someone offered them gigs. Why did I have to be the lead singer, if I was just guitar they could have easily replaced me. So, obviously I said 'no' they understood, yet again. What can I say? The time still isn't right not for me anyways.

Matt called up too, poor guy he's trying to stay cool about the whole, 'so close to proposing' but he's freaking out. You can tell, his usual laidback laugh here and there personality is gone. When Matt and I were on the phone, he was a giggling, tired sounding mess.

And on top of it a pipe leaked in the basement. My books, films, and a few guitars got wet. Maybe that's why I haven't been up to playing music, or just God's way of damning me. Basically my so called 'studio' was destroyed. I just love how every winter when the snow melts or every summer during flooding, my house remains untouched by water. Yet a pipe can burst once and we get flooded, what the fuck?

Now I'm dealing with that tonight. I had just gotten off the phone with a contractor and had just started on my dinner. Mmm pizza night. The night where we get to eat anywhere we want, drink anything, and talk on the phone or watch TV. Although stuffing your face full while talking to someone who is going to fix your house, not good.

I was about to bight into my plethora of cheesey goodness when the phone started ringing. Probably for her this time, I let Madeline get it. Wrong. Maddie came in squealing. She insisted she sat in the dining room so she could do extra credit, 'the TV is too distracting daaaaadd!' sure, fine, if you say so.

"Dad, someone's on the phone for you!" Maddie grumbled motion towards the phone glued to her shoulder.

"Well who is it?" There was no way in hell I was going to answer if it was a telemarketer.

"May I ask who's calling?" She asked ever so politely, god she's good. All of a sudden Maddie was jumping up and down, squealing. Ah no! Teenage girl-ness is coming, "It's Lane!" Wait what? How'd she get my number? There is that spectacular thing called a phone book- no we got out number taken out. No time to think, it has been working for me lately.

"Hi, Lane." My mind was blank, and instead of words my heart was beating into my throat.

"Hey!" Lane's voice was happy sounding, it kind of made my day. It was sure better then the one contractor guy I just talked to, or Maddie's preteen screaming. "So, uh I'm almost done with that book you lent me." I'm a little slow sometimes. I completely forgot that I had lent her that book, which explains why I couldn't find it after I emptied off the book shelf.

"Oh, that's good. Sounds like you liked it." Ok, time to show that I'm a cocky S.O.B. And ok, I guess I kind of am ruining it for myself. Well then again I really don't have anything to ruin in the first place…..Yeah I know listen to what she's saying.

"I did- wait why do you say that Mr. Pierre?" Her laugh was hilarious. It was a quick 'ha-ah-hee-hee!'. I cleared my throat and stroked my chin, even if she couldn't see it.

"Well," I paused and heard her giggle, that's what she gets for calling me Mr. Pierre, "You finished it a matter of days, you called back for another one I- ahem presume," this was the best frickin' announcer voice I've ever done. Best work, love it. "Yes! That or, you just really want to talk to me and hear my ridiculous old geezer voice and wicked sense of humor." Lane was laughing, a different laugh now. "That's about right?"

"Yep. All very true!" she sighed and began talking again, a little faster now, "Um, can you lend me another book? And maybe go onadate-withme?" Wow. First off I understood that, second, wow. No, not letting myself get all hyped up and strung out on the 'heart's sugar'. But I'm not going to say no, so I'm just going to say as friends. You know, Monster and Red Bull for the heart it is. I like her, there I said it again. "Justin." Yeah, that whole answer thing……

"Uh, I don't see why not." There not overly 'I like you' and not overly 'I'm a big brother'. Right? I thought so. On the other end you could tell Lane was trying to smile or scream. So, she really did like me. Justin, don't let this go to your head, ohhhhh I tell myself that everyday. I. Wish.

"Awesome." She giggled again, I'm pretty sure it was a nervous one. "I don't know where we're going though." Oh-ho-oh! I could come up with some many sarcastic remarks, this girls leaves so many doors open. We're being serious and she's being sweet.

I sighed before answering, what could we really do here? "We could go," Aw, screw being creative, "to dinner or a movie."

"Sounds great. Then we'll do classic teen moves and sit in the back your car." Fantastic sense of humor, I'm giving her 25 brownie points already.

"So, you're trying to wear my money thin by dinner and a movie. Then we have to use my car!" We both laughed.

"Yeah unless you like car seats, but I don't think Ian would appreciate that." Lane was cracking up now, and I had the worst mental picture in my head. In fact the worst one I've had in a long time.

"No, I wouldn't do that to Ian." Ah, speaking of children, what was I going to do with Maddie? Josh, Beth, Jesse, maybe. I don't know, I'll figure it out. "But yeah, that'll be fine. You get to pick the movie!" I declared, they all looked bad from the previews I saw.

"Oh I don't want to pick." She was good at whining. Not overly annoying but just enough to get the point across. "They all suck." So bitter, I snorted and took a breath in.

"Are we just going to ax the movie?" Lane sucked in some air as if it were a 'tough choice' then quickly blurted out her final answer.

"Pretty much-" There was a small voice on the other end, and she tended to it. "Honey, how many times have I told you not to interrupt mommy when she's on the phone." Couldn't help myself.

"Plenty of times, trust me!" It, being the S.O.B. sarcasm had to come out sometime. Her voice was fully in the phone again.

"Justin! Don't do-" You could tell Lane was trying not to crack up. Good, 50 more brownie points. The phone was away from her mouth again, only she was talking loud enough for me to hear on propose, "Really Ian? You want to talk to Justin?" Very nice move……

"Justin!" I heard my name again, only from a little person's voice.

"Hi, Ian." Anyone could have probably guessed the looked on Lane's face at the moment in time. Ian then began talking some crazy child gibberish. I caught a story about his day in school, learning about tornadoes, but that was it. I'm sure he was talking about something, the stories I heard just didn't make sense. Probably because I wasn't there when it happened. Not that preschoolers weren't good at describing things. Lane finally came back in.

"Hun, time for bed." Ian let a whimper. "You'll talk to Justin later. Now stick in that bottom lip!" They both giggled at something. "I'm sorry, I have to let you go." Her tone went down with every word in that sentence. This really is going to my head…..

"Oh, well see you on Friday? At 5?" Basic date night, should work. Hope it works.

"Uh, yeah that'll be fine!" Ian yelled something, well informed her of something. "Kay, I really gotta go." Lane chuckled a little.

"Bye." I couldn't help but chuckle too when I heard a 'bye Justin' from Ian.

"Bu-bye." Lane said almost breathlessly. Woman odd is she. What? Yeah I like to think like Yoda sometimes, it makes me feel smarter. I was just about to begin my Yoda thinking when I heard Maddie giggling. She was right in front of me with Fig who was wagging his tail happily.

"Dad and Lane sittin' in a-" I rolled my eyes and lifted her upside down playfully shaking her.

"Yep! And you're the bat! Say uncle!!" I shook her a little more, Fig rolled on the ground in front of us. Maddie was laughing uncontrollably, after about a minute of this I set her back down. Then I let the blood get back to her head, "I think I really like her." Madeline smiled and hugged my neck. Finally someone got the stamp of approval. "So," she let go and I patted my knee then stood up, "Get all your homework done?"

"Uh-huh!" Madeline nodded, I adjusted my glasses a little. Fig was now busy gnawing contently on his tail.

"You're such a geek." I mumbled, earning a smack on the arm followed by a fake pout.

"I wouldn't be talking DAD!" she imitated my pushing up my glasses. I let out a gasp.

"Oh, yeah!" My six year old side was coming out now! I was challenged by a 'yeah!' back.

This lasted until Maddie had to go to bed, better known as when 'dad gets sleepy'. It was a pretty good night at the end. Although I forgot to ask how Lane and I were going to meet. And what time the building guy was going to stop by to assess the damage. I can easily say it was another night where I went to bed content, I knew my week was going to get better now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so random note: I find this video hilarious. Weezer always manages to get some kick ass peeps on them! (my favorite one is the vid with the Muppets!)