It Had To Be You

Chapter 8

Is it possible to miss someone you don't know all that well?

Not only was everything going slower then usual, but then you added that date to it. I thought before my work day was never going to end.

Oh yeah, and I sounded like a complete whiney idiot on the phone. 'movie suck, you're buying,' whine, whine, whine. Plus I'd have to call him again, to find out where we're meeting. Although I'm surprised he's still willing to have conversations with me. Ah, ok stop smiling Lane, people are watching.

I sighed one more time before looking at my watch. Time to go home. I picked Kenzie and Ian up, then picked up some burgers for them. It is a weakness of mine, anyways we entered with our hands full. I set down the take-out boxes on the counter, Kenzie went over to the answering machine, and Ian went to change into his after school clothes.

"You have two new messages," the masculine sounding voice on the machine said, "three thrity-two."

"Hey Kenzie, a mellow voice said, must have been Andy, considering how Kenzie quickly told everyone to 'shish', "Just wondering if Lane was going to talk to my parents. Well, just wanted to talk and see what's up. Call me back, m'bye." Kenzie turned to me pleading in her eyes. I nodded, then the machine went off again.

"Three thrity-four." Who calls then? Most people do have jobs and are working…..

"Hey Lane, it's Justin," Wait for it, wait for it, wait? No Ian! "Phone books really are the greatest thing! Yeah, so," I giggled at they way he said it, then how quickly gained his composure. Kenzie rolled her eyes, "I made reservations at Sandy's Bar and Grill. Hope that's ok. Call and we'll come up with a time to meet, or me to pick you up, or it is up to you." Justin was stuttering a little, oh, God now I really had to call him back. He hung up and I looked the counter.

"You're going to go on a date with Justin!" She was nearly screaming. Ian came back in cloth sweat pants and a t-shirt, he simply shrugged and went to the TV.

"Turn it to Disney Ian!" Not that I didn't trust him, I just wanted to get off the subject. Kenzie squealed again, throwing her arms in the air.

"Lane's finally going to get some action!" She did not just say that. My eyes got wide and I took a deep breathe in.

"God! Something I never wanted to hear from my little sister, ever." I shut my eyes tightly, and gagged.

"We all know it's true, you like him." She said mater of factly. Then went to the take out bag and walked to the table with her food.

"Of course I do, but still-" didn't even want to go back to that, I rubbed my forehead, "And if you're so excited about this, are you wiling to watch Ian tomorrow?" Kenzie for once happily nodded, instead of groaning and tromping away. I walked out blushing. "Gah!" I muttered before sitting next to Ian. "Hey kiddo." He turned to me and smiled. "What's new with you?" his smile grew even bigger.

"Well-today-Maddie's-class-came-in," he gasped for air, "and-they-read-to-us and then-played-candy-land!" I had read in the newsletter that the preschool teachers had different classes to come in and give social interaction. But I somehow managed to forget the fact that Maddie went to the same school.

"Oh, really?" I really was surprised. "Did you have Maddie in your group?" He nodded furiously. "And I love candy land!" Ian's face went to a serious one.

"Yeah! Judas kept getting Grandma Nut and kept beating us……" he stuck out his bottom lip, "I got Plumpy twice. I hate Plumpy!" Ian held a fist in the air. I waved a finger at him.

"Don't get so angry, it's not nice." He sighed and squirmed a little, my facial expression softened to show I wasn't really all that mad. It was just a warning, "Go eat supper with Kenzie." So, what if it was a little early. I had to get everything straightened out. As I walked to the cordless, I heard Kenzie and Ian laughing, coast is clear.

I picked up the phone and went to my room, then dialed the number in the cover. It started ringing and my throat started to fill with well, flem, grossly enough. The fear went from 'please pick up' to 'just let it be the answering machine', option two. Ok.

"Hello you've reached the Pierre's! We can't come to the phone right now, so leave your name and number." Maddie was the perfect secretary, her voice was polite and steady.

"It's Lane. Just calling to say it's fine, and I guess I'll meet you there? I can come around five. So, see you then?" I hung up. I hate phone tags, I hate phones. There's so many ifs, ands, and buts about them. 'What if I call you', 'but I can't call', 'you should call me and then we'll figure it out'. See? So many things about them to hate. I sighed, I really did hope everything did work out, Justin seemed pretty laid back.

Tomorrow night. I could give him the book back, maybe get a new one, just another excuse to talk to him.But if we were dating….. Anyways, tomorrow was going to be one of the longest days ever. I'm not supposed to think that though, I'm a grown woman, not a teeny bopper, who's boy crazed. I walked out to eat my dinner and was greeted by a giggly Ian and Kenzie. Great……
I've come to the conclusion it is.
♠ ♠ ♠
eh i haven't updated in a while. just because i knew i'd have to a filler and i find this one REALLY REALLY BORING.