It Had To Be You

Chapter 9

So, I got Lane's message. I missed it while I was out picking up Maddie from curling practice. Although I think she was more excited to hear then I was, now I was kind of getting nervous about tonight now. See, dates involve talking and learning about each other, I have some skeletons. They aren't too big though, I'm still embarrassed about them. And I know I'm going to end up pushing her away like the dumb ass I am.

I sat the bar sipping my ice tea, then adjusted my blazer jacket. It was about five ten, but who's counting, not me. I saw it on the TV. Let me just say, the world is just getting more ridiculously depressing. I was pretty engulfed in the Japanese game show on the one next to it, when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

Lane was finally here, she was well, beautiful. Lane's hair was in a loose low side pony tail, she was wearing silver earring and black jeans with a loose shrug on top. She started blushing a little.

"Sorry I'm late, I had to talk to one of Kenzie's friends. He wouldn't stop talking." I raised an eyebrow. Lane sounded a little concerned, about this boy.

"It's fine really," I took a sip of my drink with a smile on my face. "You ok?" She sighed and rested an arm on the bar. The bar tender came over and she quickly ordered then turned back to me.

"Still feel bad….." I stroked her elbow a little, she swiveled a little on the leather bar stool, "The kid is her boyfriend, and I had to talk to his parents about going to a concert." Lane's eyes glazed over, "I couldn't say 'no' Kenzie has been better lately and she deserves this. I'm just scared- scared that, I don't know Andy will just sleep with her and then dump her. But that's just my irrational side speaking." Ian gets it from her. And I felt good knowing that she at least trusted me enough to confide in me. Even if it is weird….and the fact we've only known each other for a week or two.

"What band are they seeing?" It always help to know the band, and what they stand for and sing about. Lane looked at me then down at her feet.

"Metro Station." She mumbled out. I don't know if I should break it to her that they sing mostly about sex, but they have good moog. Yeah just throw that salt on there, 'at least they have a good moog player', I don't think she'd care.

"Oh, they're pretty good." Lane took a sip and tilted her head, almost thinking to herself.

"So, this might be a little weird, but um," I can only guess…. "I love your band." Not the first thing I would have thought of. She began to smile and turn pink, let me say it was contagious.

"You liked us?" most of the time I would have shrugged it off, but I thought it meant a lot coming from her.

"Yeah! Ian did too may I say." I chuckled, how'd she let him listen to that, "He especially like L.G SAUD." Hopefully there was more, and she didn't just mispronounce it, of course. She laughed again. "Let's get sucked up and die." Lane started giggling, I felt myself smiling, "Thinks that song is about getting sucked up by tornadoes."

"That's what that story he told me was about!" I hit the bar lightly with my hand, we both cracked up. "I thought he was just telling me about some child gibberish." She shrugged knowing what I was talking about.

"I heard Maddie went into his class to read and play games and stchuff." It is true, she told me about when she got home one day, I found it funny how patient she was to put up with a whole room of four year olds. "Speaking of Miss Maddie Addie, how's she doing?" I smiled, she'd figured out her nick name.

"She's good and all, she just is getting really upset lately." Lane's face changed to concerned. It made me feel as if I should see what Lane could do, "Madeline insists on doing everything ten times over lately." She gave a 'hmmm' and I continued, "At least she probably knows how many pieces of fringe we have on out rugs." We both chuckled thinking of her sitting there counting, "She'll let me know when we need a new one." Lane smiled again, when we were called to our table.

The rest of dinner went like this. I found we could both laugh at our problems know that we weren't being mean. I found out she had a brother, and that she worked at a birth control clinic. Let's just say that conversation didn't last very long……. But we really didn't talk about our children's parents, I think that'll will be when the time comes.

When we finally got done eating I walked her out to her car. She looked like she was going to be sick when we reached it. I knew it, the date was nice, but she thinks I'm a stuttering, doped up, gangster, clown. Most of that was just me, thinking of any word I could put in there.

"I'll call you sometime," she leaned against the driver's side of her silver Buick, "Maybe you could lend me another book?" I began to snicker, she realized why, "Maybe you could listen to more bad sounding pickup lines?" Lane made her voice sound like an overly seductive phone operator then winked at me. The two of us stood there laughing and shaking our heads.

"Huh," I gained composer, "That's one of the greatest pick-ups I've ever heard. In fact I can't even comprehend," How fuckin' close we had gotten. I could smell the after dinner mint on her breathe, and could feel her shake a little in the September night air, "a better one." I finished looking at her mouth. She on the other hand was looking me in the eyes, "Good night." I jittered out, then backed away, turning on one heel. Trust me I have no clue what I just did either.

"Night Justin." Lane shyly glanced at me one more time, then opened her door.

I scoffed towards my car,time to get hammered. The moment just wasn't right, plus I wanted to wait. God, what the heaven, for what? First I want a date, then I won't mouth it? It's just time to go home to Maddie and Fig, try and get back to my routine, because this could all go terribly wrong. Even if I didn't get to talk to anyone about anything important………
♠ ♠ ♠
This is TearDropsOnWhiteRose's chapter! she is my comment whore, and idk if she knows she owns this one yet.... tee hee!!

and why is Justin so negative? wouldn't you be? well i am.....