From Sunsets to Monroeville

GO WITH THE FLOW

As Frank stepped out of the bathroom, the steam escaped the room and he smiled. He felt clean and refreshed; skin tingling comfortably, after taking a nice long shower. He'd woken up early again, and didn't feel the slightest bit tired. So he’d gotten a head start on getting dressed and took a little longer than usual, scrubbing all the right places properly and washing his hair.

He even conditioned it!

After going to his room to grab his cell phone, his mom appeared out of her room. She gave him a sideways glance before grumbling about mornings and went into the bathroom.

"Morning Mom!" Frank cheered, heading down the steps. He could feel her confused stare on his back as he jumped onto the landing and skipped the last two steps, stumbling into the kitchen.

Frank got himself a nice big bowl of Frosted Flakes and took it with him into the living room, to situate himself in front of the television. Halfway through that morning’s episode of Jimmy Neutron and almost finished with his cereal, the house phone began to ring.

"Mom!" Frank called. "Phone's ringing."

But he got no response.

After three more annoying rings, Frank put the bowl down on the side table and grabbed for the phone, answering with an angry, "Yeah?"

"Oh, I - hello? Is this Linda?"

Frank scrunched up his eyebrows, "No. Do I sound like a woman?"

"N-no. You're right, I'm sorry, you don't," the caller apologized. "I'm sorry. Is this...Frank?"

"Who wants to know?" Frank snapped.

"I'm sorry, I should've introduced myself. I'm Adam."

"Adam who?" Frank said in a nasty tone. "I don't know any Adam."

"I'm a friend of your Mom's...Uh, is she available?" 'Adam' asked.

"No, she's not. I called after her to answer the phone, but she didn't pick it up...obviously. So I think she's busy."

"At 7 something in the morning?"

"Is that a problem?" Frank shot back. "She has to take me and my girlfriend to school."

"Oh, oh yeah. She mentioned that. Well, when you get the chance, can you just tell her I called?"

"Sure Alfred," Frank muttered.

"It's Ad-" But Frank had hung up already.

No later had he done that, Mrs. Iero stomped her way down the stairs and soared into the kitchen.

"Mom?" Frank questioned, reaching for his bowl. He walked up the couple steps to the landing that held the kitchen, walking straight in he found his Mom bustling around the kitchen, grabbing stuff for herself. "Ey! You had a phone call."

"From who?" She snapped back angrily, searching the cabinets for a breakfast bar.

"Al-Adam. Some dude named Adam," Frank explained, throwing his bowl into the sink and he headed upstairs. "He said to call him back 'when you got the chance'."

"Oh," Linda said quietly, ceasing her actions to stand in the kitchen.

Frank ran to his room to snatch his messenger bag and slid down the banister to get the bottom. He opened the front door and left it ajar for his mother, grabbed the keys and went to go start up the car.

When he went to open the back door to throw his bag in and jump in, he felt arms wrap around his back and waist. He squealed and spun around, coming face-to-face with his girlfriend. He hugged her thankfully; glad she wasn't some rapist and kissed her on the cheek.

"Morning sweetness."

"Hi gorgeous," she said back, kissing him fully, on the lips. "You seem very awake this morning."

"I am," Frank responded, hopping into the back and holding a hand out for her to follow. "I woke up pretty early this morning and took an extra long shower. I also washed my hair! Feel."

Allison closed the door and giggled, threading her fingers through Frank's newly washed hair.

"Ooh, now doesn't that feel sexy?"

Frank giggled at her and pulled her close and placed a chaste kiss on her jaw. Then he continued to kiss at her neck, making sure to nuzzle his nose on all the spots he knows she's the most ticklish. With Allison's loud giggling and protests for him to stop, neither of them heard Mrs. Iero come into the car.

"Frank, leave that poor girl alone!" She snapped over their noise in the back. She put the car into drive and began the drive to school. "Allison looks like she's gonna die from laughter."

"Thank you!" Allison agreed, wriggling loose from her boyfriend.

Frank reluctantly released the girl and let her breathe before he slid his arm around her shoulders, placing a small kiss to her cheek in efforts to say 'truce'.