From Sunsets to Monroeville

LIGHTS OUT

When Frank woke up the next his head and heart felt heavy. What happened last night?

Oh yeah, he told Nan about his...father.

Nan took it very well for finding out her Grandson was being verbally and physically abused by his father and his mother wasn't doing a damn thing about it. She just comforted him until he calmed down. Then she gave him and Mikey some hot chocolate and sent them to bed early. Where the boys sat up all night chitchatting until Nan finally came in at about 3:00 in the morning and said they better get to bed.

Frank looked over at the clock. It said 10:30 now so he decided he'd better get up. He stepped over Mikey, who sat asleep and sprawled out all over his sleeping bag; his glasses slipped under the bed and opened his bedroom door and then closing it slowly to not wake him. As soon as he turned around, he got a whiff of what was being made downstairs and he sighed contently, heading towards the bathroom.

He used the bathroom and washed out his mouth, then took two painkillers for the remaining pain and then stumbled down the steps and into the kitchen.

In the kitchen Nan had breakfast all finished, French toast and pancakes, eggs and bacon, fresh orange juice and a warm pot of coffee. Frank sighed and walked up to his grandmother at the stove and hugged her.

"Well good morning Frank!" Nan grinned. "I know I'm only being hugged because of this grand breakfast I've made."

"Perhaps," Frank chuckled.

"Here dear, help me take all of this food out to the dining room table and then you can get started," Nan suggested and went back to finishing the scrambled eggs.

Frank nodded and took two plates at a time over to the dining room, then carried over the orange juice jug and then the coffee pot. Then he grabbed the individual plates and utensils for everyone and spread them out on the table, making sure he put Mikey's plate next to his. He definitely didn't want his mother seated next to him.

After he took his seat, Nan came in with the remainder of the eggs and her own cup of tea and sat at the head of the table, to the left of Frank. Frank took his portions of all the food and then poured himself some orange juice and got started.

"Hungry?" Nan asked and Frank nodded eagerly, a little bit of eggs hanging out of his mouth.

"I hope I made enough for everyone and you," Nan continued, blowing on the surface of the tea and then taking a sip, smiling over the cup at Frank.

Halfway through the meal, Mikey came downstairs. His hair was a mess and his glasses weren't exactly fixed on his face right but he was awake, nonetheless. He slumped in the seat next to Frank and smiled thankfully at Nan, knowing she made breakfast, before taking his own food.

And then Mrs. Iero came down.

At first she sort of...stumbled down the stairs. Then when she got to the landing, she stared ahead for a moment at her reflection in the mirror opposite her and then stormed into the kitchen. Frank kept his back to her but he could hear her opening and slamming cabinets. She must've found what she was looking for because she stormed into the dining room and took a seat at the opposite end of the table.

Now that Frank got a good look at her, her blond hair hung all over the place in a huge mess. Her eyes were bloodshot, and not their normal color. She was gripping tightly on her coffee cup, titled 'World's Greatest Mom!' with a picture of Frank and his Dad on the front.

Psh, the good old days.

Back when Frank was three they had taken that picture and put it on the cup for Mother's day. Back when Mr. Iero was innocent, a loving father and family man. And there was no booze involved.

Speaking of booze, Mrs. Iero smelled heavily of booze and vomit, and also that smell when you just wake up and don't wash out your mouth hung heavily in the air.

Frank just stared and stared at his mother. Was this what she had become? Was this what she had resorted to? How she chose to carry herself?

After Mrs. Iero spooned out all of her food she looked up to catch Frank staring at her, "What are you staring at fuck face?"

Frank's eyes opened in shock, and Mikey started to choke on his food involuntarily. Frank clapped him on his back and glared at his mother, tons of insults flying through his brain and about to exit through his mouth.

"Linda," Nan said calmly. "Would you like some coffee?"

"No mother," she snapped in response. "I can get it myself, thank you."

Frank finished making sure Mikey was okay and went back to his breakfast, refusing to look at his mother anymore. Sometimes, that woman made him sick to his stomach. She was literally, the most disgusting and ridiculous person he had ever met when she wasn't hyped up on booze. Which was probably the reason for her snappy attitude. Liquor was an essential part of her day and Nan must've taken it all from her.

"Linda," Nan repeated sharply after Mrs. Iero got her coffee and drank most of it down. "Are you going to do anything...productive today?"

"Yes mom," Linda said. "I'm supposed to take Frank to the mall."

"Since when?" A sudden loud, outburst came from Frank as he stared incredulously at his mother.

"Since now. Go call Allison and I'll take you three to the mall," Mrs. Iero said, not looking at her son and continued eating.

Frank snorted in response and stood up from the table abruptly, shooting his Grandmother and then his own mother a look. He then went into the living room to go call his girlfriend.
♠ ♠ ♠
*edited.